Baptism (immersed in water) is necessary

I am a Christian (Baptized Church of Christ, May of 2006) and my sins are in remmission. Acts 2:38. Acts 2:41. Acts 10:43. Acts 16:31-34. Acts 18:8. Acts 22:16. Mark 16:16.

God be praised! Welcome to CA Forums. The Church of Christ is almost unique among Protestant denominations in believing the Apostolic teaching that Baptism actually DOES take away both original sin and actual sin.

I am also a Christian, baptized at 5 weeks of age, not by immersion. I proudly testify at every opportunity to the saving power of the covenant blood of Jesus Christ. We agree: Baptism is necessary!

Five weeks of age is kind of young to be confessing Christ. Though there is only one baptism I believe that it must be for those who confess Christ. I have had the gift of the Holy Spirit for almost one year. The saving baptism (baptism of the Holy Spirit) and the gift of the Holy Spirit are distinctive from each other. Even though my sins are in remmission I still do make mistakes.

I was baptized when I was one month old. Thanks be to God for my parents and my community’s faith in Christ!

Water, At one month of age how could you confess your faith in Christ? At one month of age you could not have sinned yet…baptism remmisses sins.

We are all born with original sin.

Welcome to CA! It is good to have you! God bless and love you. :slight_smile:

Catholics believe that baptism remits BOTH Original Sin and personal sin. An infant has no actual sins. But all are born with Original Sin. The ancient Church, the Catholic Church, the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches, and the Protestant Churches that emerged in the first wave of the Protestant movement (Lutherans, Calvinists, Anglicans), all practice infant baptism. All of these Christian bodies understand that infant baptism in no way contradicts Scripture.

Believers’ only baptism did not appear until the 17th century. The ancient Churches accept the consistent practice of the Church rather than a novel reading of Scripture that emerged 1600 years after the Holy Spirit descended upon the Church at Pentecost.

For Catholics, sin committed after baptism is remitted in several ways through the Blood of Christ. For us the normative means by which Christ forgives our sins is through the sacrament of Confession, instituted by Our Lord on Easter night (Jn 20:20-23).

How does the CoC deal with sin committed after baptism?

I swam the Tiber from the Cambellite Churches of Christ to the Catholic Church last year (after a 10 year journey.)

The Churches of Christ do stress the necessity of baptism for remission of sins they also do not subscribe to OSAS. If one sins post baptism (and we all will sin) then one must confess one’s sins to God and repent of them. If the sin was against your brother you had to confess to them. If your sin was of a public nature (e.g. something that would cause scandal) requires a public confession.

At my former congregation the person needing to confess would come forward at the invitation after the sermon and then they could either have the preacher ask for the prayers of the congregation or they could confess their sins and then ask for the prayers of the congregation.

This was very much the model of the early Church: PUBLIC confession for post-baptismal sin.

What a relief not to have to do this publicly! We STILL have to reconcile with the person or people we have wronged, of course.

Were we also meant to discuss the parenthetical portion of this thread’s title in our posts?

FMS

Do you believe in original sins

Also, when you were born, who signs all the paper work?
When you start to walk, do you walk to the church on your own will or your parents wanted you to go?

You must remember the story where Jesus healed the man who was brought down to the room through the roof? What did Jesus say to the people? – by the faith of those people, this man was healed!

So, in the same way, by the faith of my parents and my community, I was baptized and my original sin was forgiven.

Water, How do you mean “original sin” and do I believe in them? In my youth I went to Catechism and was told that I was Roman Catholic. In my youth we stopped going to functions all together. Do Catholics identify as Christians?

Catholics are the original Christians! :thumbsup:

What do you believe Catholics are? :wink:

What do you mean “we stopped going to functions all together?”.

Before I begin… Welcome to the CAF!

** 1st.**

Acts 2:38

Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Why don’t you read the next verse**?**

Acts 2:39

39 “For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself.”

** Children were not excluded.**

2nd.

Acts 2:41

So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

Added to what?
The Bible? or The Church?

Acts 2:42

They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

They were added to the Church.

**3rd. **

1 Timothy 3:15 **

but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the** pillar and support of the truth**.

The Bible says that the Church is where we get the truth.

**Which church? **

Look at history and you will see that in 1517ad. Martin Luther (a Catholic monk) started the “Protestant Reformation” a movement. And before that year there were no “Protestants” none.

So 490 years ago the Protestant denominations were “born”.

In 1516,1416,1316,1216,1116,1000,900,800,700,600,500,400,300,200,100,90,80,70,60,50, 40’s.

There is only

One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

One Lord,One Faith and One Baptism.

One Shepherd, One Bride, One Bridegroom, One Spirit, One Body

One Church

The Catholic Church.

Jesus left us a church just like He promised. Matthew 16:18

So the next question? Where did the Bible come from?

The Bible never says how much water to use for baptism.Think about it do you really think they had running water in their house back then?

How did they “immerse” an adult in the house?Or in the jail?

Look up the word “Baptise” it comes from the Greek language it means

to dip
to bathe
to immerse
to pour

We inherited the sin of Adam and Eve. It is called “Original Sin” because the sin “originated” from them.

We are born with Original Sin.

When we are older and break the Laws of God we commit the sin ourself. That is called “Actual Sin”

We carry the faith for our children until they can carry it for themselves. Just like the Jewish babies were circumcised when they were 8 days old on the basis of the faith of their parents.

Baptism replaced circumcision.

Children were included in the old covenant with God.
They are still included in the new covenant with God.

Ok I’m done:hypno:
I hope I make sense, God Bless!

The Case For Infant Baptism
How Is A Catholic Saved?
Baptism~ Necessary or Not?

If St. John the Baptist jumped in his mother’s womb in the presence of his Savior, I would imagine God’s grace is also enough to move the soul of a one month old toward the salvation found only through Jesus Christ!

And as someone has already stated, the historical understanding of paedobaptists is not to remove actual sin, but the stain of original sin.

JaneFrances, What do you believe baptism does? The Holy Bible (preserved word of God. KJV is tops amongst scrpture derivatives) states the following: Acts 2:38. Mark 16:16.

The English word is spelled baptize not baptise.

Let’s take a look at the Greek word that has been ambiguously translated into the English word baptize . . .

According to R.B. Girdlestone, there was no exact English equivalent for the Greek word ‘baptizo’ (and it’s variant forms) available to the translator’s of the English bible (even predating the KJV of 1611). He contends that ‘baptizo’ was a dyer’s term and signifies so as to dip and change colour or to stain. Thus out of necessity, they took a portion of the word, bapt, and added for convenience and English suffix, ize, thus rendering a very generic and inaccurate word – baptize. This was far removed from the intricacies of the original Greek words and their meanings, genders, etc. So they left us with a very ambiguous word that we have adopted into our vernacular and almost always equate it with water.

Baptize comes from the root ‘bapto’ which means to stain as with a dye. Kittle’s states that bapto is more accurate in it’s application of going under and perishing (i.e.; not coming out of) in it’s general usage.

And as McClintock and Strong states concerning baptizo -
The word baptism is simply an Anglicized form of the Greek Baptismos (Baptismws), a verbal noun (infinitive) from Baptizo (likewise Anglicized “baptize”), and this, again, is a derivative from Bapto (Baptw), the predominant signification of which latter is to whelm or “dye,” Lat. tingo. Not being a verb implying motion, Baptizo (Baptizw) is properly followed in Greek by the preposition en, denoting the means or method (with the “instrumental dative”), which has unfortunately, in the Auth. Engl. Vers. often been rendered by the ambiguous particle “in,” whereas it really (in this connection) signifies only with or by, or at most merely designates the locality where the act is performed.

Greek literature offers many examples of baptizo, baptizomai, etc., concerning the state of something changed by an outer source, and they use water in very few of them. One may see great many examples of the Greeks using baptizo outside of water association in James Dale’s fine book ‘Judaic Baptism’.

“And stretching out his right hand, so as to escape notice by none, he mersed (baptizo) the entire sword into his throat” Josephus, Jewish War ii, 18

“I know some, who, when they become slightly intoxicated, before they become thoroughly drunk (baptizomai)” Philo, ii, 478 On Contemp. Life

“And mersed (baptizo) by drunkenness into insensibility and sleep” Jewish Antiquities., x, 9

These are only three of hundreds of examples in Greek of the use of baptizo to convey a ‘state of change’ of an object. This means that to the Greek ear hearing baptizo (and it’s various derivatives), it had a greater and broader meaning than just water immersion.

However western thought has adopted it to be only immersion because our language is not as capable at showing nuance as the classical Attic and Koine Greek languages of 2,000 years ago.

There are two words in the Greek language that exclusively mean to immerse (kataduo) and sprinkle (rhantizo).

Neither of which can be found associated with baptism in the New Testement.

There are several places where baptizo (or one of its related terms) cannot mean “immerse”.

Therefore, there is no place in the New Testament where the word baptizo of necessity must mean “immerse.”

I like that. Well stated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.