Baptism in Jesus Name?

I notice some Churches baptize in “Jesus Name” and not in the Father Son Holy spirit… it this considered valid by the Catholic Church?? Or would one have to be re-baptized??

As far as I know, this is invalid. The trinitarian formula must be used. Thus a person who wasn’t baptized in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit is actually not baptized at all and must speak to his priest as soon as he can so he can be validly baptized.

For a sacrament to be valid, three things have to be present: the correct form, the correct matter, and the correct intention. With baptism, the correct intention is to do what the Church does, the correct matter is water, and the correct form is the baptizing “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19).

Source: catholic.com/library/Trinitarian_Baptism.asp

Offhand, can anyone show me scripturally where this is a requirement?

Matt 28 19-20

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall he condemned.

Whenever you see Baptism “in the Name of Jesus” in the New Testament that means they were Baptized according to the authority and method Jesus instructed in Matt 28:18ff.
It does not mean when they Baptized someone they only used the name “Jesus”, that is an invalid Baptism.

:thumbsup: People who join the Catholic Church are not rebaptized if they were baptized with water in the Trinitarian formula in a Protestant church. If somebody joins the Catholic Church and had not been baptized in a Trinitarian formula, he/she is rebaptized in the Catholic Church using the proper method.

Thank you. That’s what I was looking for.

Yep, the Catholic Church held to this for a long time and even infallibly laid it down at the Council of Trent.

Sorry, but that wasn’t infallibly laid down at Trent…it was simply defined, because it was something that the Church has taught for 2,000 years.

I agree, I guess I did a bad job of explaining. It was reaffirmed at Trent.

Oh jeez… I was baptized this way as an infant… but I have been a Catholic for about 5 years now… I didn’t know this… :frowning:

Then you need to see your priest and he will give you a conditional Baptism.

…Well, hold on, what denomination were you Baptized in? I know of no denomination that Baptizes infants that is not of the classical Protestant type, and all of those classical denominations should be Trinitarian.

:slight_smile:

You are welcome!

Nice to meet you and I hope to see you around the forums!

I suspect my time here might be drawing to a close in the future, as there are just as many ardent, yet uneducated individuals here as there are on protestant forums I’ve visited in the past. It’s hard to discuss anything because of that. Still, if you are interested, I’d like to get your opinions on a few things in another setting (either PM or AIM, etc). PM me if you like. :slight_smile:

Oh please dont go! I really hope you stay.

Feel free to PM me Anytime, I am on and offline at odd hours but I will always have time for new friends.

Right now I am just going through the search features on another topic.

Again, I do hope you stay.

I guarantee you will get the best answers in these forums and nowhere else. People are hear to learn and come from different levels of understanding.
If you have “tough questions” I bet you will find someone around here who can answer them.

I did forget to mention I am not educated, so if that matters I guess I am not the person to go to for anything.

It was some neo-lutheran denomination… But I don’t remember. Im just going on what my mother was telling me…they don;t have the records because they were lost when the church was vandalized… but My mother had told me it wasn’t in the regular trinitarian formula…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.