Baptism in Spirit prayers needed

I need a lot of prayer. On March 8, 2005 I will be baptized in the Spirit. I know it is only less than a month away, but I am seriously not sure if I will make it until then. I am having a lot of problems right now, and I oftentimes get bad thoughts. I have been talking with someone about it, but I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to hold the retaining wall, so to speak.

Anyhow, I am really banking that the Baptism in the Spirit will get rid of these bad thoughts. If not I don’t know what I’d do. I’m having lots of memory problems, too, and other health problems (like back and anxiety problems) as well. It’s been going on for about 7-8 years now, but the past 3 years have been insufferable, and I am slowly losing my will to live. I know that God can heal me, and I’ve been to at least ten miracle healing services. None of them have helped me get better, and I really need God to heal me next month or I’m not sure if I’ll have any more chances to pray. So, please pray for me before March 8, 2005. That day is the day of St. John of God. So if you could ask him to ask Jesus to heal me on that day, I would be more than gracious. Thanks!

:confused: You are Catholic? What exactly are you refering to? Confirmation? I thought first sacraments were not supposed to be done during Lent.

I will pray for you anyway, but I am apparently being dense because I can’t figure out what you are talking about.

Your confused sister in Christ,
Maria

I suspect this person is mixed up with the Charismatic Renewal or something similar.

Catholics, on the other hand, believe in only “one baptism for the remission of sins”–the Sacrament of Baptism.

Baptism in the Spirit, is not another sacramental baptism–it is acccepting Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior.

The Charismatic Prayer Meeting FAQ
Is the “Baptism in the Spirit” a New Sacrament?
No – It is the RELEASE of the POWER of the Holy Spirit already within US that we received by faith at our Confirmation, and now in our experience, to enable us to live the Christian life we want to live but had only been partially successful in doing. We will begin to experience a new ability to appreciate Jesus, the Bible, our daily prayer life, and our faith through this living experience.

holyspiritinteractive.com/features/charismaticrenewal/cr_faq09.asp

I pray you will find strength and comfort in your decision.

Dear Madaglan,

I am having a lot of problems right now, and I oftentimes get bad thoughts. I have been talking with someone about it, but I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to hold the retaining wall, so to speak.

Anyhow, I am really banking that the Baptism in the Spirit will get rid of these bad thoughts. If not I don’t know what I’d do.

Please understand, Madaglan, that the battlefield is truly in the mind - always! That is the only avenue by which evil or good can enter, through our imagination or our memory. We may think new thoughts through inspiriation, by which many worthy ideas are born, many projects conceived, many problems solved, etc.

We may also relive old memories that gave us joy and pleasure, or dwell on our pain and sorrow. The purification which the Holy Spirit requires of us, is to remove from the memory those thoughts which are unholy and destructive to ourselves or to others. He invites us to think on whatever is kind, peaceful, generous, full of hope and courage, loving, etc.

The choice is ours, Madaglan, and a it is a very difficult pattern to break if we have lived a lifetime of allowing our memories to feed like flies among the garbage. Christ is said to “browse among the lilies” - sweet and fragrant. I will pray that, in your discipline this lent, you will energetically put a guard on all the incoming thoughts that do not produce positive, wholesome fruitful ideas and memories.

When you are renewed in the Holy Spirit, He will quicken you to watch over those scenes you permit to replay most frequently in the cinema of your mind, but the choice is still yours. This will give you a clue where to begin to conquer the root of your depression and anxiety.

The Lord does not take over our will, but enables us to have a holy, changed heart that will more easily recognize the source of these thoughts. I wish I could tell you that there was a quick fix. But what I can tell you is that the Lord will help you, for He is very merciful and compassionate to all who suffer.

May God truly bless and keep you close to His sacred heart!

Carole

[quote=Mysty101]Baptism in the Spirit, is not another sacramental baptism–it is acccepting Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior.
[/quote]

We are Baptised in the Spirit when we receive the Sacrament of Baptism. This so-called Baptism in the Spirit is incompatible with the Catholic Faith, and, as in this case, is spritually dangerous.

Dear friend

I wholeheartedly agree with Carole. You know on this earth and even within our homes we can create our own heaven or our own hell and we are instrumental in it’s implimentation and it’s implications; in creating our own heaven and our own hell we can also cause heaven and hell for others. Heaven and hell starts here my dear friend, it is our choice whilst we live and it is not God rejecting us.

You will not stop thoughts of either nature entering your mind because we as humans are weak and are subject to such thoughts, but in Christ Jesus we are strong and in Him , by turning our minds and hearts to Him we can reject, not dwell or act upon those evil and harmful thoughts, therefore pushing them from our minds and this dear friend, you will have to do all of your life as the race is not run until we die as we know St Paul has referred to in his letters.

Now you dear friend are on the verge of despair , so don’t you give into that, there is no despair in Christ Jesus, there is only hope and God never leaves any of His children to flounder, it is us, who reject His help and despair of Him. Trust in Him and His Providence for you, His Mercy is unending, He is your hope and He will not fail you.

I will pray for you and would ask you pray for yourself to God and ask Him to show you His unending care for you, He will show it to you!

‘I will be with you when you go through deep waters’ Isaiah 43.2

'‘I will go with you and prosper all that you do’ Exodus 33.14

‘Do not let your heart be troubled or afraid’ John 14.27

‘In quietness and in confidence I will be your strength’ Isaish 30.15

‘No-one can take my children out of My hand’ John 10.28

’ I am with you to save you’ Jeremiah 1.19

God bless you and much love and peace to you always dear friend

Teresa

This sacrament is also called “the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit,” for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one “can enter the kingdom of God.” (CCC 1215)

The sacrament of Baptism is Baptism in the Spirit.

[quote=Benedictus]The sacrament of Baptism is Baptism in the Spirit.
[/quote]

Dear friend

Did you ever renew your baptismal vows? I am sure you have as every lent we do this and whenever we attend the baptism of someone else/ as a Godparent or parent, this is a similar thing our friend is doing here and we should all think to do this even in our own prayers more often, to renew our resolve in Christ Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit and renounce satan

God bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

[quote=Benedictus]We are Baptised in the Spirit when we receive the Sacrament of Baptism. This so-called Baptism in the Spirit is incompatible with the Catholic Faith, and, as in this case, is spritually dangerous.
[/quote]

Baptism in the Spirit is part of CCR (Catholic Charismatic Renewal) A movement of the Catholic which is approved and encouraged by the Pope.

We have been over this many times, if you care to check previous threads.

Sounds as if it would be better termed as a revival instead of a Baptism, since there is only one Baptism. I am aware that the Charismatic movement is approved of by the Pope. I question why something like the revival or renewal of the Holy Spirit would be called Baptism since this would cause confusion among sincere non-Charasmatic Catholics.

posted by Mysty101
Baptism in the Spirit, is not another sacramental baptism–it is acccepting Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior.

According to your own posting, that is not what it is. It is the release of the Power of the Holy Spirit that was already present. Accepting Jesus as your Savior is NOT the same as a renewal or release.

Accepting Jesus is meeting for the first time. Clearly not the same as releasing that which is already present.

Dear friends

Let us not become confused. There is only ever one baptism, but we can renew our baptismal vows, in this is a constant strengthening of spirit. There is no re-baptising, there is only one baptism. Though friends it is of good cause and righteous to remember and renew our baptism either in private prayer or publically.

Each time we bless ourselves with Holy water we remember those vows, to renew our resolve and exorcise satan.

Let us not be squabbling here as though we are capable of becoming a new creature in Christ more than once, we are not or we would not trust Christ in the first place to renew the character of our souls, but of course we trust that this is done in Him and is permenant and irrevocable. We merely reaffirm our part, our vows to remain faithful to our baptismal promises.

God bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

[quote=Benedictus]I suspect this person is mixed up with the Charismatic Renewal or something similar.

Catholics, on the other hand, believe in only “one baptism for the remission of sins”–the Sacrament of Baptism.
[/quote]

As I read this message, I observed a lack of sensitivity and response to Madaglan’s original post and request for prayer. Rather, it has hijacked the thread and imbued it with yet another controversy that belongs in its own topic.

May I respectfully ask that we return to topic and address Madaglan’s concerns?

[quote=Madaglan]I need a lot of prayer. On March 8, 2005 I will be baptized in the Spirit. I know it is only less than a month away, but I am seriously not sure if I will make it until then. I am having a lot of problems right now, and I oftentimes get bad thoughts. I have been talking with someone about it, but I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to hold the retaining wall, so to speak.

Anyhow, I am really banking that the Baptism in the Spirit will get rid of these bad thoughts. If not I don’t know what I’d do. I’m having lots of memory problems, too, and other health problems (like back and anxiety problems) as well. It’s been going on for about 7-8 years now, but the past 3 years have been insufferable, and I am slowly losing my will to live. I know that God can heal me, and I’ve been to at least ten miracle healing services. None of them have helped me get better, and I really need God to heal me next month or I’m not sure if I’ll have any more chances to pray. So, please pray for me before March 8, 2005. That day is the day of St. John of God. So if you could ask him to ask Jesus to heal me on that day, I would be more than gracious. Thanks!
[/quote]

Hi Magdalan,
I will certainly pray for you. You might seriously want to consider getting some professional physical/psychological help as well as spiritual help. God can indeed heal us, but sometimes He does it by pointing us towards other human beings to effect the cure. Be careful about putting your faith in “miracle healings”. I’m not saying they don’t happen, but I strongly encourage you to try other non-miraculous methods (remember the story of the guy in the flood who was waiting on God while others tried to help him). God often works subtly. Please think about seeing a doctor. Your symptoms (depression, anxiety, back pain) are probably due to a treatable condition and you’ll feel so much better when this condition is treated. This world is a very hard place, but there is help and hope if you’ll reach out for it.

I tried to post this yesterday but it didn’t go through. Here’s a psychologist who has a complete program of Catholic self-help and psychotherapy. I don’t know if what he says is right or not, but he has a page recommending things for depression and anxiety:

[/font]

He also has a complete program for spiritual healing:

[/font]

Again, I don’t know if what he talks about really works. It’s up to you to see if you find it helpful or not.

Hi Madaglan,
I will pray for you. If I were in your situation, I would recall any of my favorite songs of praise and sing it out (I can’t sing btw) and this helps me to give God thanks and praise for the little great things I experience today, and this praising somehow give me the strength to accept whatever happens next.

You don’t have to wait 'til next month. The Holy Spirit is present in the daily Mass, and we praise and call on His mercy several times during the Mass Liturgy.

[quote=Madaglan]I need a lot of prayer. On March 8, 2005 I will be baptized in the Spirit. I know it is only less than a month away, but I am seriously not sure if I will make it until then. I am having a lot of problems right now, and I oftentimes get bad thoughts. I have been talking with someone about it, but I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to hold the retaining wall, so to speak.

Anyhow, I am really banking that the Baptism in the Spirit will get rid of these bad thoughts. If not I don’t know what I’d do. I’m having lots of memory problems, too, and other health problems (like back and anxiety problems) as well. It’s been going on for about 7-8 years now, but the past 3 years have been insufferable, and I am slowly losing my will to live. I know that God can heal me, and I’ve been to at least ten miracle healing services. None of them have helped me get better, and I really need God to heal me next month or I’m not sure if I’ll have any more chances to pray. So, please pray for me before March 8, 2005. That day is the day of St. John of God. So if you could ask him to ask Jesus to heal me on that day, I would be more than gracious. Thanks!=================================================
[/quote]

Hi Madaglan,Are you speaking openly and talking about this with you team leaders. First of all the Baptism of the Holy Spirit will not protect you from being attacked by the enemy. Matter of fact probably just the opposite. Applying the precious blood of Jesus over you and putting on the Armour of God[Ephesian 6] will protect you. The closer you come to God the more the enemy will attack.I believe your motive to be Baptised in the Holy Spirit could be questionable. You want to see the fruits before planting the seeds.I have been where you are,and you are searching everywhere for healing and the truth is God is right where you are. You need to fix your eyes on the Lord and seek Him with all of your heart. What the Baptism of the Holy Spirit will do for you is set your heart on fire for the Lord. You will begin to draw closer to His heart.Your motive should be that you want a more intimate relationship with Him. You do your part and God will do the rest.Draw closer to the Lord and He will draw closer to you. Jesus is the devine healer,the great physician and He does want to heal you physically and spiritually. I will keep you in my prayers and may Jesus love and peace fill your heart as you come closer to Him. God Bless

Baptism In The Holy Spirit
Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, OFM

(Fr. Cantalamessa has been the Papal preacher to Pope John Paul II’s
Pontifical household since 1980.)

SUMMARY: The Baptism in the Spirit is not a sacrament, but it is related to several sacraments. The Baptism in the Spirit makes real and in a way renews Christian initiation. At the beginning of the Church, Baptism was administered to adults who converted from paganism and who, made on the occasion of Baptism, an act of faith and a free and mature choice. Today it is substituted instead by intermediary parents or godparents. In this situation, rarely, or never, does the baptized persom ever reach the stage of proclaiming in the Holy Spirit “Jesus is Lord”. And until one reaches this point, everything else in the Christian life remains out of focus and immature. Miracles no longer happen and we experience what Jesus did in Nazareth: “Jesus could not perform many miracles because of their lack of faith” (Mt.13.58). The Baptism in the Spirit effectiveness in reactivating baptism consists in this: finally man contributes his part - namely, he makes a choice of faith, prepared in repentance that allows the work of God to set itself free and to emanate all its strength. It is as if the plug is pulled and the light is switched on. The gift of God is finally “untied” and the Spirit is allowed to flow like a fragance in the Christian life

The full article is here
in-unity.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=1

Originally Quoted by Mysty101:

SUMMARY: The Baptism in the Spirit is not a sacrament, but it is related to several sacraments. The Baptism in the Spirit makes real and in a way renews Christian initiation. At the beginning of the Church, Baptism was administered to adults who converted from paganism and who, made on the occasion of Baptism, an act of faith and a free and mature choice. Today it is substituted instead by intermediary parents or godparents. In this situation, rarely, or never, does the baptized persom ever reach the stage of proclaiming in the Holy Spirit “Jesus is Lord”. And until one reaches this point, everything else in the Christian life remains out of focus and immature. Miracles no longer happen and we experience what Jesus did in Nazareth: “Jesus could not perform many miracles because of their lack of faith” (Mt.13.58). The Baptism in the Spirit effectiveness in reactivating baptism consists in this: finally man contributes his part - namely, he makes a choice of faith, prepared in repentance that allows the work of God to set itself free and to emanate all its strength. It is as if the plug is pulled and the light is switched on. The gift of God is finally “untied” and the Spirit is allowed to flow like a fragance in the Christian life

First, thank you everyone for your prayers.

I look forward to the Baptism in the Spirit, but I still have a few questions.

1. It seems that baptism of the Spirit is a reactivation of the Spirit that we received in sacramental baptism. But why don’t we as Catholics get the charismatic experience when we go through the sacrament of confirmation? I mean, why didn’t I get the gifts of the Spirit during confirmation? I remember being taught specifically about the gifts of the Spirit and being as serious as possible at that age.

2. Why is it called “baptism in the Spirit”? Shouldn’t it be called something different so not to confuse it with sacramental baptism?

3. Is the Catholic Church wrong in baptizing babies, if they don’t have the chance to proclaim their faith for themselves?

I’ve just always wondered these questions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.