Baptism in the holy spirit and tounges

Okay so im catholic but the majority of my friends are protestant and we get along fine. I regularily pray with them and im usually the only one who dosen’t speak in tounges. I know speaking in tounges is bigger in certain non-denom churches which is where most of my friends go, and ive never heard anyone speaking in tounges at any catholic church (not saying they dont, ive just never seen it). So tonight when we finished praying they came up to me and asked me if i wanted to receive the gift (this isnt the first time). I responded by telling them i need to pray about it. since this isnt the first time they have asked me, they continued to tell me how its not something you wait for and made it seem as if i was denying the holy spirit. They said one needs to be “baptized in the holy spirit” as well as water. I explained to them that in the catholic church we call that confirmation, but i guess since when i was confirmed i didnt automatically receive the gift of tounges that i have not been truely “baptized in the holy spirit” and they even went as far as to tell me that i have only partially received the holy spirit. I didnt get upset because I know they just dont understand the catholic faith and like most other denoms they have been raised in one church and believe theres is the only true way (I never argue with them, it’s pointless). But i guess my question is why is it that when catholics are confirmed with the holy spirit why dont they start speaking in tounges right away like other protestant denom’s that ive seen and like what is written in Acts. I mean unless i’m wrong and some do, i have just never heard of it. To be honest im pretty confused about speaking in tounges, ive read other threads about it but they didnt really help. I guess what got me thinking was how thwy made it seem like if you arnt speaking in tounges you have not completely received the holy spirit in full. can anyone help? i’m just feeling confused.

if they are “bible only” Christians they are directly contradicting the bible if this is what they claim. St. Paul talks about this in Corinthians and warns that tongues is the least of the charismatic gifts and is not to be used as a judgement of who does or does not have the Spirit.

If you are truly interested in claiming and using the gifts and the charisms of the Holy Spirit, which you received in Baptism and which were strengthened and made ready for use in Confirmation, pray and discern, with spiritual direction if necessary, how you are being called to use those gifts. Refresh yourself with reading Corinthians about the charisms and Galatians about the fruits, and Isaiah 2 about the gifts. Recall that the charisms, which are gifts specifically for building up the Church, are primarily service gifts, administration, preaching, teaching, exortation, prophesy etc. The reason Confirmation prep programs typically make service such a strong component is precisely so that you may claim and use these service gifts.

If you want the orthodox Catholic view on the charismatic gifts go to any Catholic Charismatic Conference. There is one in San Antonio the weekend of April 14-15, and a big one at Franciscan University of Steubenville–check the summer conference schedule on their website. Or find a Life in the Spirit Seminar in your diocese. Tongues is not a marker or prerequisite for the gifts, and though that is a typical claim of pentecostal type fundamentalist Christians, that is NOT what Paul teaches.

Read ACTS carefully again, nowhere does it say that everyone whom the apostles confirmed (layed hands and invoked the Holy Spirit) immediately began speaking in tongues.

If you have a lot of free time and don’t mind wading through a lot of anti-CCR ranting, search on charismatic or tongues in the spirituality forum. Reading it will kill your weekend but go for it. Catholics are not to participate in public worship with non-Catholics. Your story is the perfect illustration of why that is so.

Hi,
Im a protestant that goes to a non-denom church and we do not believe tongues is used anymore.

In Acts, tongues was used specifically so the Apostles could preach the Gospel to eveyone in their language. Speaking in tongues had a specific purpose back then. In the bible it says that if someone is speaking in tongues and their is no intrepreter it is false.

**1Cr 14:27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret.

1Cr 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. **

If you accepted Christ as your Savior in your heart at confirmation–then you have the HS in you.:smiley: Being able to speak tongues is not a prerequisite to having the HS dwell in you.

For someone to think that they can control the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues at their very own whim sounds a little heretical to me? Doesn’t the Holy Spirit come to us to speak in tongues only when He feels its necessary?

No need to be confused. But while you are discerning the Holy Spirit, it is imperative that you run not walk away from these people as quickly as possible!!! I’ve been there and done that and it took me years to find the truth that was always held in the Catholic Church!!!

I was a youth leader at the parish I was attending around five years ago, and this parish was very Charismatic. They have something called the “Life in the spirit seminars” where you are baptized in the Holy Spirit. It doesn’t replace confirmation by any means, they see it as activating, or making use of the gifts that we already possess.

The parents and the church council wanted to put the kids through one of the seminars, and I was very opposed to it at first, but I finally came around. During the seminar, they prayed over me and asked the Holy Spirit to come to me. It was nice, maybe for no other reason than the fact that someone was praying for me right in front of me. Then she started speaking in tounges. It kind of sounds like “ishouldaboughtahunda…ishouldaboughtahunda…” I don’t really think they were speaking in another language, but maybe the Spirit was working through the sounds they were making.

Anyway, she then switched back to english and she prayed “Be concecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.” Now, I have a special devotion to the Sacred Heart, and she could not have known that. I did not have much of a devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, but I have since grown into it. My point is that what she said moved me deeply, and I think deepened my faith.

I have since been married and attend an FSSP traditional Catholic mass (about as far removed from charismatic Catholics as you can get), but I’ll never forget that retreat.

I can see the dangers with the Charismatic movement though. People can fall into the trap of thinking that they are a direct conduit for the Holy Spirit, and they start thinking that they are something important. But that kind of pride can hit anyone…even a priest from the alter. I think that if the Holy Spirit is working through someone, that person usually is not aware of it, and what they say or do will make a deep impression on you. All this within the bounds of orthodoxy, of course.

God bless,
Ut

Hi thanks for your response, I made this point to them and they said "there are two types of tounges. 1.) the type that we read about in Acts that is used to help people in other languages and 2.) a type of “perfect prayer” from the spirit or “your spirit praying” 1 corinthians 14:14

Yes, I am familiar with the type of tongues that are called" spirit prayer" . But listen to what it says, 1 Cor. 14:14: “If I pray in a tongue, my sprit prays but my mind is unfruitful”. Why would someone want to do that? They also use a verse Romans 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” This is the one that says that the Holy Spirit prays for us when we do not know what to pray for “in groaning which cannot be uttered”. I’m not saying that this doesn’t happen. What I’m saying is that these people make it a pillar of theology and believe that you are not “saved” until you make these noises like they do.
As a Catholic, they consider you lost. They will try their hardest to “save” you. They take a somewhat perverse joy in “saving” Catholics, because they believe that in addition to “saving” your soul for all eternity in Heaven with Jesus Christ, they are also “saving” you from Roman Catholicism which they believe is pagan.
They dwell very much on emotionalism. It is central to their worship. They need more and more emotionalism to keep the ecstacy or euphoria or whatever they are seeking way up there. When it wanes(and it will) you are consider backslidden and need a new infilling of the Holy Spirit or you are lost. A lot of these people do in fact “fall away” or backslide or whatever you want to call it because they cannot keep that level of emotionalism going all the time.
I strongly urge you to stay away from these people. Talk to your spiritual director or priest and have this explained more thoroughly to you.
I would consider all this stuff they do to be private revelation and would be wary of it.

Thank you for your response, I understand what your saying, and think it would be wise to keep my distance. Although I dont feel my friends that I pray with view me as lost because I’m Catholic, they just dont know anything other than what they have been taught. I know other people at their church have looked at me that way though. Haha the look on their faces after I tell them that I am Catholic, one time after I told one of the pastors I was Catholic he asked me “have you ever accepted Jesus Christ into your heart?” I felt like saying “I’m Catholic not Buddhist!!”

Just to;) totally rile your friends: It is also possible to “speak in tongues” as the result of opening yourself up to demons…So what they are doing, is not only not Biblical, it is :eek: dangerous!

I personally have as little as possible to do with “tongues” people, becasue I know that they are seeking more of an emotional high, than a spiritual experience.
But all the ones I know are non-Catholic. I would imagine that Catholic charismatics would be better trained & regulated, than the way it has been in the few protestant “tongues services” I have had the :rolleyes: misfortune to attend…(Unfortunately, I was with friends; if I had had my own car, I would have left a whole lot sooner…).

Don’t be too sure!! Some years ago, a nondenominational minister stopped at the parsonage of my (Methodist) church, and announced to the pastor, when he opened the door, "Good evening, pastor, I am here to:eek: :eek: convert you from Methodism to Christianity!!"
No, I am not kidding!! (I wish…).

:eek: :bigyikes: Thankfully, I have never had that experience, nor have my family and friends.

To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are inspired by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. 1 Cor 12:8-11.

Tongues is only given to some.

I had a chance & :banghead: I’ve said that many times over the last 10 months;
I should Have Bought A Honda, I should Have Bought A Honda…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :thumbsup:

Okay, I am a charismatic Catholic and I am very proud the awesome Holy Spirit has revealed himself to me in that way. I believe that every Catholic should be introduced to the charisms of the Spirit. It is so great to experience the Holy Spirit that way. I just want to clarify on what you and some people are saying. Praying in tounge is different than speaking in tounges. Speaking in tounges needs an interpretit. The Spirit will choose anyone to interpretit and usually will call you unexpectingly. Now praying tounge, a gift I have rcieved, is different from that. Praying in toungue is something so great and needs to be seen for its greatness. For those who were wondering why you want it, here is the reason. When u pray in tounges it is a prayer the devil can’t understand. The understands all the launguages of the world, like english. Praying in tounges is kinda like a phone line between you and God that no one else can stad. This is so great and its also like the world u can’t say to explain the wonderous and brillance of God. I just want to start speaking in tougues right now. That is another thing, most people who receive the gift of praying in tounges usually can turn it off and on. For me its like I am letting out something just wonderful and at most moments, like Mary, my soul can proclaim the greatness of Lord. It is so great, wonderful, awesome, brilliant, and ashlakatimata. And like I said, the devil can’t understandit, meaning it does not open you up to demons!!! Now you are right about possiblely being opened to demons. When people are praying over people and the person that is doing the praying can pass on a demon. If the person is not cleased of demon and sins then a person can be exposed to demons and even a person giving a talk at a retreat can expose people to demons. So its not just the carismatic gifts that can expose people to demons. Here is an answer to one of the question of the person who began this hole thing. I made my conversation at the beganing of this month. I didn’t rest in the Spirit when the Bishop said, “Be sealed with the Holy Spirit.” I did start praying in toungue. See I believe the Holy Spirit wants me to tell that he didn’t give u the gift of praying in tougues because you weren’t ready, just as a father wouldn’t give his 5 year old son a car. God, our Father, wants to give you his Spirit in many ways, but he want you to receive it in His Church and with the help His Son, Jesus Christ, in the Holy Eucharist. So, my advise is to try to find a local prayer group and pray to the Holy Spirit to help you find a place where you can receive him. Sorry for the long post and if I used teen lingo cause I’m only 15. Well, may the grace of God throught sacrife of Jesus in power of the Holy Spirit be with you, God Bless

James Hernandez, Set on fire by the Holy Spirit

James, I’m sorry Bro but what you have said is unscriptural. Nowhere in the New Testament does it ever say that there is a difference between praying in tongues and prophecy in tongues. Nowhere does it say that it’s okay to speak aloud and not have an interpretation.

Read carefully 1st Corinthians 12, 13, & 14 for the scriptural context for these gifts within the church.

This is a common errant teaching that is taught in n-C pentecostal churches.

Don’t fall for it.

So, wat u r saying is that the many speakers from the cathlic charismatic center in houston, the community of the living Christ which is Catholic and many other places all fell into the trap ur talkin about? Also, it says in 1 Corinthians 14:2 & 3a the difference between them, if you go to the usccb site it gives u the nab version and tells u that they r different. I actually jsut checked that out.

Please understand that speaking in tongues and prophesy are two completely different things. I had a theology course from one of the most prominent biblical scholars on St. Paul who also thaught at the Biblical Institute in Rome who said that speaking in tongues can be something not understood or even in a language that one never knew.

Prophesy on the other hand is accurately predicting the signs of the times and giving correct testimony.

Hope this helps?
mdcpensive1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.