Baptism not required?

I have been tossing this around in my head and still not sure I understand.
When Pope JP II died, a news show interviewed a Jewish lady he had befriended after WWII who said she loved him for his kindness and also because he did not want to baptise her. On the same channel a man said that the pope had said conversion was not necessary.
I am sure there is more to it than this, other than God will of course save whom he wants.
Anyone else see this or know what he meant?

Perhaps I am thinking of a different situation than you are, but I recall reading a thread on these forums explaining that during WWII a Catholic family had adopted a Jewish child, and the Jewish’ child’s parents requested that the family not baptize the child. The priest who would later become John Paul II upheld that request.

Fiat

There is a true story about JPII refusing baptism to an adopted Jewish baby because he knew the Jewish parents requested their baby be raised Jewish and not be baptized. The Jewish couple gave their baby to a Catholic couple with written request for no baptism. The Jewish couple was killed during WWII. The Catholic adoptive parents sought counsel with a young priest (JPII) whom advised obedience to the Jewish parents.

The second part about not needing conversion would have been taken out of context.
:thumbsup:

[quote=katy]I have been tossing this around in my head and still not sure I understand.
When Pope JP II died, a news show interviewed a Jewish lady he had befriended after WWII who said she loved him for his kindness and also because he did not want to baptise her. On the same channel a man said that the pope had said conversion was not necessary.
I am sure there is more to it than this, other than God will of course save whom he wants.
Anyone else see this or know what he meant?
[/quote]

The following is a quote of Pope John Paul II’s statement in English to those gathered in St. Peter’s square on Wednesday, December 6th, 2000, in which he briefly summarized his message of the day, “FOR US, THE KINGDOM IS GRACE”:

“Dear brothers and sisters, the theme of Our general audience during this great Jubilee year, has been the glory of the Trinity, and today we ask what we must do to ensure that the glory of the Trinity shines forth more fully in the world. In essence we are called to be converted and to believe in the Gospel. We are to accept the kingdom of God in our hearts, and to bear witness to it by word and deed. The kingdom indicates the loving presence and activity of God in the world and should be a source of serenity and confidence to our lives. The Gospel teaches us that those who live in accordance with the beatitudes: the poor in spirit; the pure in heart; those who will lovingly [endure] the sufferings of life; will enter God’s kingdom. All who seek God with a sincere heart, including those who do not know Christ and His Church, contribute under the influence of grace, to the building of this kingdom. In the Lord’s prayer we say ‘Thy kingdom come’. May this be the hope that sustains us and inspires our Christian life and world.”

We confess with the Apostle Paul “that there is salvation in no other name” (Acts 4:12). The “Dominus Iesus” declaration, in the wake of Vatican II, shows that with this the salvation of non-Christians is not denied, but explains its ultimate source in Christ, in whom God and man are united. God gives light to all in a way appropriate to their interior and environmental situation, granting them saving grace through ways known to him (see “Dominus Iesus,” VI, 20-21). The document clarifies the essential Christian elements, which do not obstruct the dialogue, but show its basis, because a dialogue without foundations would be destined to degenerate into empty verbosity.

Normally, “it will be in the sincere practice of what is good in their own religious traditions and by following the dictates of their own conscience that the members of other religions respond positively to God’s invitation and receive salvation in Jesus Christ, even while they do not recognize or acknowledge him as their Saviour (cf. Ad gentes, nn. 3, 9, 11)” (Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue – Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples,

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.