baptism of Christ

What is Catholic theology concerning the baptism of Christ. When I was reading Matt.3:13-17 It stood out to melike never before, that the Holy Spirit descended as a dove when Christ was baptized. Is this not a striking image that the we are born again with water and the Spirit during baptism. I realize Christ did not need to be baptized, but we do need baptism. Is this a good passage to refer to when trying to explain the necessity of baptism to a non-catholic? I know other verses to describe baptism, but I am particularly interested in this passage.

Also in Matt.3:15 Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fufill all righteousness.” Does this mean this is when baptism was made righteous and from then on it makes all baptisms that follow righteous?

I am definately not a theologian;) but I think this is a good visual passage, but perhaps even more so is Mk 16:15-16.
This is from the Cathecism of the Catholic church at the Vatican website

977 Our Lord tied the forgiveness of sins to faith and Baptism: "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved."519 Baptism is the first and chief sacrament of forgiveness of sins because it unites us with Christ, who died for our sins and rose for our justification, so that "we too might walk in newness of life."520

I think the Lord’s statement…he who believes and is baptized will be saved…is pretty clear on the neccesity of baptism.
heres a link to the Cathecism:vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P2E.HTM#$19I

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.