Baptism of Desire (Limbo Speculation)

This my be in the wrong forum but here goes.

I was thinking. ( A dangerous past time :hypno: )

It has been argured that unbaptised infants cannot go to heaven since they still have original sin. Hence the need for Limbo.

But since I believe that the soul is considered the source of our reason. (Correct?)

And everyone has a soul. (Check)

Why can’t they have baptism of desire at their personal judgement?

I mean just because infants have no “reason” until they get older on earth.
Once you die you are outside of time :confused: in a way, so maybe their souls obtain the ability to fully reason before they are judged.:hmmm:

What do you think?

I think it’s perfectly reasonable. And God has even given us the example of John the Baptist, who in the womb was clearly aware of and joyfully accepting of Christ.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable. And God has even given us the example of John the Baptist, who in the womb was clearly aware of and joyfully accepting of Christ.

I thought so. At least it seems like a valid speculation.

The reason I am asking is I am in discussion with someone over Baptism and I wanted to have all my bases covered ahead of time.

BTW hows the new town going down there? (Ave Maria I mean).
Have you toured it yet?

There is a theological theory that at the point of death God miraculously grants to unbaptized infants the use of reason such that they themselves can desire baptism.

I am a personal fan of that theory since I think it is fitting that every human person exercise even in this life intellect and will in actuality not only in potentiality.

Do you happen to know the name of the theory?
Any details?

Of course, they also have the chance to reject God. This results in the unbaptized infants either going to Heaven or Hell. Some do not like to believe they could go to Hell, so opt for Heaven or Limbo.

If this is accurate (only God knows) then I would suspect the same ratio go to Heaven/Hell as in the adult population. But we have no numbers for that either. :slight_smile:

QUOTE=Will;2264982

But since I believe that the soul is considered the source of our reason. (Correct?)

Correct. The intellect and the will are powers of the soul.

Why can’t they have baptism of desire at their personal judgement?

I mean just because infants have no “reason” until they get older on earth.
Once you die you are outside of time :confused: in a way, so maybe their souls obtain the ability to fully reason before they are judged.:hmmm:

What do you think

Important to remember this baptism of desire would have to occur prior to death. After death conversion is not possible. I believe the Church teaches that our personal judgement takes place after death.

Nita

Do you happen to know which Church Fathers hold this theory?

This might be way out there; but if a baby is baptised because of the intention of the parents i.e. the parents assume the responsibility of making a decision on behalf of the child, does it not stand to reason that the parents may also meet the prerequisites of a baptism of desire on behalf of the baby (if indeed they intended to baptise the baby)

Someone cannot desire Baptism for another person. Baptism of Desire is when someone personally makes the decision to seek Sacramental Baptism and makes that known publicly to others, but dies before being able to receive Sacramental Baptism. Baptism of Desire also is NOT equivalent to Sacramental Baptism, but can supply the Grace of Baptism removing Original sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.