Baptism of my Grandson

I’m in RCIA and hopefully one day be Catholic. My question is about my grandson who is 7 and yet upbaptised. We (my husband and I) have happily raised him for seven years and are his legal guardians. My grandson began attending Catholic preschool four years ago and continued on to kindergarten and first grade.

His love of the Catholic church and the Holy Spirit led me to the church. I’ve tried for two years to get him baptised; but was told by Fr and Deacon that I needed to join the church first. Finally after a lot of prayer our Bishop gave permission for him to be baptised ! Thanks be to God !

I haven’t gotten close to anyone with the exception of one older lady. She offered her son and daughter -in-law as godparents for my grandson. I know them through my friend of course and their daughter is in his class. This young couple are wonderful people; caring. compassionate and very involved with the Church and school. They are open to being godparents Is this acceptable ? Aren’t Godparents supposed to someone who is related or a close family friend ?

Let me say that I’m honored and sincerely humbled by their offer.

Thanks in advance for your response.

No, they need not be related. In fact what you’ve described “This young couple are wonderful people; caring. compassionate and very involved with the Church and school. They are open to being godparents” is precisely what makes them good choices for Godparents.
As far as being “close family friends” (which is not a requirement) it sounds like this is a good start to becoming “close friends.”

Thank you for answering and putting it into perspective for me ! I’m afraid of being “too” inquisitive at times. I saw this young couple draw my grandson into a conversation several weeks ago; it was obvious to me that they were trying to get to know him better. It’s blessings like this that bring tears to my eyes.

It seems from practical experience maybe it is best that Godparents are NOT family members!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.