Baptism question

I think I know the answer, but I am curious. I was baptized as a Protestant in the names of the Trinity, but my former congregation believed that baptism does not "do anything"; it is only water, a sign of obedience, not a regeneration. Does it matter in my case that they did not believe what the Catholic Church believes about baptism? Am I correct in thinking that I was still validly baptized since they used the Trinitarian formula?

Yes, your baptism was valid.

Thank you, 1ke! :)

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:287778"]
Yes, your baptism was valid.

[/quote]

I wouldn't say that. When baptizing someone there are three things required: matter, form, and intent. From what this person is saying, they didn't have the intent to baptize for what the Catholic Church requires necessary for intent.

The problem with Mormon baptism isn't the lack of belief in original sin but in their conception of the Trinity.

Secretary, the Church would consider your baptism valid.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:4, topic:287778"]
From what this person is saying, they didn't have the intent to baptize for what the Catholic Church requires necessary for intent.

[/quote]

Pope Leo XIII, Apostolicae Curae, #33:

The Church does not judge about the mind and intention, in so far as it is something by its nature internal; but in so far as it is manifested externally she is bound to judge concerning it. A person who has correctly and seriously used the requisite matter and form to effect and confer a sacrament is presumed for that very reason to have intended to do (intendisse) what the Church does. On this principle rests the doctrine that a Sacrament is truly conferred by the ministry of one who is a heretic or unbaptized, provided the Catholic rite be employed.

What the Church means by the intention of the minister to do what the Church does is that the person intends "to baptize".

[quote="SecretaryMonday, post:1, topic:287778"]
I think I know the answer, but I am curious. I was baptized as a Protestant in the names of the Trinity, but my former congregation believed that baptism does not "do anything"; it is only water, a sign of obedience, not a regeneration. Does it matter in my case that they did not believe what the Catholic Church believes about baptism? Am I correct in thinking that I was still validly baptized since they used the Trinitarian formula?

[/quote]

What is your former congregation?

[/quote]

But do a Catholic Priest validate you? If not you should undergo validation process of your baptism. Well, since you have said that you have baptized in the trinitarian formula then that valid. Only needs validation from a Catholic Priest.

[quote="po18guy, post:7, topic:287778"]
What is your former congregation?

[/quote]

Reformed/Baptist

[quote="SecretaryMonday, post:9, topic:287778"]
Reformed/Baptist

[/quote]

Thank you. Just trying to narrow the possibilities down. It makes a difference, not only in the validity of your baptism, but also in what you must "unlearn" about Catholicism. Although, all flavors of Baptist have some degree of anti-Catholicism in them, the one-two punch of reformed and Baptist certainly sets that denomination firmly against "the big Church" It would certainly appear that your baptism is valid. My concern was that you might have been LDS, which uses a faux-Trinitarian formula that is definitely not valid. Sadly, many groups have twisted "Baptism now saves you" to mean almost everything except what it says. Many have made it into a mere symbol. As with Baptism, neither could our Lord could save us if He was only a symbol of God's love.

[quote="po18guy, post:10, topic:287778"]
Although, all flavors of Baptist have some degree of anti-Catholicism in them, the one-two punch of reformed and Baptist certainly sets that denomination firmly against "the big Church"

[/quote]

Haha, yes! Though it was probably more Reformed than Baptist.

It would certainly appear that your baptism is valid. My concern was that you might have been LDS, which uses a faux-Trinitarian formula that is definitely not valid. Sadly, many groups have twisted "Baptism now saves you" to mean almost everything except what it says. Many have made it into a mere symbol. As with Baptism, neither could our Lord could save us if He was only a symbol of God's love.

Thanks for your help!

[/quote]

Your baptism is indeed valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.