Baptism question

Is a child baptized by a woman pastor validly baptized? Thanks in advance.

In instances of emergency ANYONE male or female is able to baptize (the church teaches). It's not in the sex as to one who can or cant baptize.

A few things make a valid baptism:
1 form: the person is to be baptized "in the name of the father, son and holy spirit".
2 matter: water is to be used and is poured over the individual (this is to the best of the baptizers ability).
3 and finally... the baptizer must intend to do what the church does when it baptizes.

[quote="ShanaA1984, post:1, topic:332948"]
Is a child baptized by a woman pastor validly baptized? Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Yes, if the child was baptized with proper form and matter.

Most likely, yes. In order for a baptism to be valid, the person baptizing must have the intention to free the person being baptized from original sin. Since Baptists believe that baptism is a merely symbolic act, if one were converting to Catholicism, he/she might receive a conditional baptism. :thumbsup:

[quote="bben15, post:4, topic:332948"]
Most likely, yes. In order for a baptism to be valid, the person baptizing must have the intention to free the person being baptized from original sin.

[/quote]

No, this is not correct.

The person baptizing must have the intention to do what the Church does, that is to baptize.

[quote="bben15, post:4, topic:332948"]
Since Baptists believe that baptism is a merely symbolic act, if one were converting to Catholicism, he/she might receive a conditional baptism. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Not correct.

[quote="1ke, post:5, topic:332948"]
No, this is not correct.

The person baptizing must have the intention to do what the Church does, that is to baptize.

Not correct.

[/quote]

Oh, my bad. :o

OK, let's make an assumption about the OP"

The "pastor" is the clergy of a protestant denomination. If you're talking about a women who claims to have been ordained in the Roman Catholic Church, there are a ton of other issues to figure out.

If that's the case, and she used the proper form (Trinitarian formula, water) and intended to baptize the person, that it would seem that the person would be validly baptized.

If either the formula was incorrect, or water wasn't used, or the minister didn't really intend to baptize the person, than their baptism might not be valid. If you're not sure, always good to ask your priest.

Thank you all for your replies. My concern was for my daughter who was baptized by a woman pastor in my former Lutheran(ELCA) church. When I discussed it with my pastor at the time he was the one who was going to do it but was called away at the last minute and so she was baptized by the new associate pastor(a woman). Proper form, intent, and matter where used. I very firmly believe that woman can not hold the role of pastor or priest and so that was why I was inquiring about validity.

Anyone can validly baptize. It is not required that they be validly ordained. All that's required is proper matter, form and intent.

Ok then since she was validly baptized in the Lutheran church. How now do I go about bringing her up as a catholic?

[quote="ShanaA1984, post:10, topic:332948"]
Ok then since she was validly baptized in the Lutheran church. How now do I go about bringing her up as a catholic?

[/quote]

Well, that depends upon her age.

If she is below the age of reason, about 7 or 8 years old, you can bring her into full communion with the Church by declaring your intention to do so. This reception into full communion would be recorded in the sacramental records. Also, you could ask that the baptismal rites not performed at the time be completed (candle, white garment, anointing with oil). Talk to your pastor. She would then receive the remaining sacraments of initiation at the appropriate time.

If she is over the age of reason, she must make her own profession of faith. She would join through RCIA, with catechesis adapted to children. She would receive first Reconciliation, Confirmation and Eucharist when she is received into the Church just like other candidates.

Thank you 1ke. Right now she is 4.5 so she is below the age of reason.

[quote="ShanaA1984, post:12, topic:332948"]
Thank you 1ke. Right now she is 4.5 so she is below the age of reason.

[/quote]

Make an appointment with your pastor to discuss brining her into full communion with the Church.

Will do then. I will call and make an appointment this afternoon

[quote="ShanaA1984, post:14, topic:332948"]
Will do then. I will call and make an appointment this afternoon

[/quote]

You are a great mom:thumbsup:

Thank you CarolNoel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.