Baptism question

Our son is being baptized this Sunday. We are going to the 11 am mass and are going to be presenting the gifts at the mass. Then, he will be baptized in a separate baptism ceremony at 1 pm. My question is this: when we go to the mass, can he be in his little white tuxedo or do we have to wait until he’s been baptized to put him in his white garment?

I don’t really know as mine were Baptized much later. One as a teen and the other as an adult. The third refuses, but we’re working on him.

The babies/toddlers I have seen Baptized at our parish came Mass in their regular church clothes and were changed before the ceremony. Probably because babies and toddlers drool, spit up, crawl and climb all over everywhere, and they tend to not be the neatest of eaters.

Yes you can dress him in his baptismal outfit before mass and he can wear it all day.

In the rite you will receive a candle and “white garment” which is usually just a token like a little white keepsake bib. In most places this is provided by the parish, but if not then the white garment you bring him in suffices.

You do not change the baby into a white garment during the baptism or after. It is customary to bring the baby to the baptism in their christening gown or whatever they will be wearing.

That really depends on the parish. In ours, the children are baptized in regular clothes and presented with their baptismal garments then dressed in them.

Well when Jesus was baptised by John, it didn’t say Jesus put on a white garment, nor does it say in the bible that white was required when anyone else was baptised.

The church doesn’t require white, but white represents that the inner person being baptised is clean and pure. So it is nice to be in white at baptism but not necessary.

However, it may be that the parish you are attending may ask this of those being baptised. So the parish priest should be asked.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

In my parish, children come in regular clothes. The clothing is removed and they are baptized by immersion, then the white baptismal gown is put on them. I’ve also seen this done is Latin Rite parishes in which baptism by immersion is practiced.

The clothing in the white garment is part of the rite of Baptism in the Latin Rite. [FONT=Tahoma][size=2]There is no requirement for a baptismal gown, but a white “garment”, at least symbolic, is required. I’ve seen priests use a white cloth or towel during this part of the ceremony, even for children who are already wearing a white garment. [/size][/FONT]

[quote=] [FONT=Tahoma][size=2]Celebrant:[/size] N., you have become a new creation, and have clothed yourself in Christ. See in this white garment the outward sign of your Christian dignity. With your family and friends to help you by word and example, bring that dignity unstained into the everlasting life of heaven.
[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][size=2]All: [/size][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][size=2][FONT=Tahoma][size=2]Amen.[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma][size=2]The white garment is put on the child.
[/size]
[/FONT]

[/quote]

[FONT=Tahoma][size=2]

[/size][/FONT]

Thank you for the information.

Perhaps that is the custom in Canada. I’ve never seen it in the US, but of course it may be customary in some parts of the US.

If that was the case I think the priest would have mentioned it. And the baptism isn’t at Mass so the baby wknt be presented to the congregation.

While true that the baby need not be presented for baptism wearing white, the white garment IS part of the rites during baptism.

No, that’s not what I meant. I meant that at the Clothing with the White Garment the children are presented with the garment and then taken to the side to be dressed in it. We sing a hymn while they are being dressed then they return for the Presentation of the Light and the Ephpheta Rite.

We offer both immersion and pouring. About 25% of parents opt for immersion. Father wishes it was 100%

I am probably answering this too late to be of use for the OP.

I think the situation described here is more one of practicality and custom for individual families and parishes. It also depends on how the child is going to be baptized. So such questions really need to be directed to the local parish.

My parish encourages parents to bring children dressed in “regular” clothes and to dress them in the white garment after the baptism. But then my parish baptizes babies by immersion so the child will be getting undressed and redressed anyway. I have seen a few parents arrive with the child dressed in the white garment, remove it for the baptism, and then put it back on afterward.

In parishes where the child will remain fully clothed during the baptism then it may be customary to have the child come to the Church already dressed in the white garment.

As far as what the child wears to a Mass that is prior to but separate from the baptism, that is entirely up to parents. I personally would have been concerned that that my children would keep the garment clean through a Mass prior to the baptism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.