Baptism reception ideas?

Hi-

It’s finally happening…after 9 years of marriage and that many years of prayers, my DH will be baptised and entering the Church on Holy Saturday. Praise be to God!

I’d like to have a reception at home, and I’d like to know if you have any ideas about hosting something like this, or what you yourselves have done?

my only suggestion is that you have this celebration on Easter Sunday, not on Saturday night after the Easter Vigil. The experience is exhausting for the candidates, spiritually, emotionally, and physically, and the best thing to do afterward is go home, have quiet time to think, pray and sleep. Have your regular Easter family gathering on the Sunday afternoon if you like, but Saturday night is not good timing on a lot of levels.

Yes - I totally agree. I am a convert and remember that exhaustion. I’m thinking of actually having it the Saturday after Easter…?

Wow congratulations to you and your DH!!! I am so happy for you :slight_smile:

I agree that it is best to have the reception a day or two after easter vigil. ( which usually ends really late from my experience ).

No big ideas right now on the reception, but there are all kinds of small Catholic gifts available at your local Catholic bookstore. Maybe a cake in the shape of a cross or something? Or hot cross buns or white cupcakes with a cross on the icing?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.