Baptism Rite

I noticed that the Gospels speak of being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Does any one know at what period in the Catholic Church that the words of the Baptism rite as stated in Matthew 28:19 came into being?

Thanks

Such can be said refer to Christian Baptism (in yes the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit) - being baptized into Christ and thus in his name (not as a formula) -rather than say the baptism of John.

I will post an article for ya …

Jimmy Akin - senior Apologist at Catholic Answers:

jimmyakin.com/the-correct-words-for-baptism

This is great.:thumbsup: Thanks. So the Trinitarian formula came from the Didache.

I do have this document and have read it but as usual nothing sinks in.

Thanks again

Boy this place never fails me:thumbsup:

No it came basically from Jesus…and then Tradition and practice in his Church.

(see Gospel of Matthew).

So I can explain it to my JW friend as first being stated by Jesus in Matthew, then being carried out and then being written down in the Didache around 70 AD? I think I am going to print out the article you sent over so I can access it when I speak to her.

The *Command of Jesus *to baptize yes is the origin of Christian Baptism.

The Church though was baptizing prior to those words being “written down” by Matthew.

And that same Church continues to do so…

Matthew is recording though the Words of Jesus - his command.

As for your “Witness” friend - see the many tracks on CA site regarding such. Likely you will not get very far - not often they do not accept or receive what you may offer them - in word or writing for they are trained that way.

Yes. The Didache is the oldest extant document we have that mentions it. It was meant as a teaching document, though: it didn’t establish the teaching, but it just recorded it for Christians to use. So, we can confidently say that we have proof that, at least by 70AD, baptism “in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit” was the norm of the Christian Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.