Baptism saves you. 1 Peter 3:21-23

1 Peter 3:21-23 states;
21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him.

I never really get this why most Protestants deny that baptism doesn’t save you when apparently Peter says that it does. Do they think the Bible is just a laundry list of doctrines or a menu?

There are countless of times that Baptism is necessary salvation. Jesus even said it.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6* That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. * 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’ John Chapter 3 verse 5.

You Protestants brag about your knowledge of the Bible but it is very clear to me that you ignore passages in the Bible that baptism is necessary for being saved.

This particular passage proved to be quite a stumper for the poor baptist missionary who sat by me on an airplane.

When he pulled out his bible, and looked at that passage-- the ONLY passage not underlined and highlighted-- he had a genuine crisis of faith right there on the plane. He could not understand why his pastor had deliberately skipped over that line.

A whole new view of things for him, I believe.

He was a very earnest young man, and I hope after the long hours spent sitting next to me, answering his every question about Catholicism, he began to evaluate the merits of our Faith. I do hope he was less enthusiastic about evangelizing the poor Mexicans-- which is where this troop of Baptists was headed when I encountered them.

Amazing!

I just can’t go with partial truths which Protestantism itself contain. Their heretical and erroneous doctrines take bits and pieces of the Gospel. They lack the Fullness of Truth.

Actually the concept of being born again is at the very heart of Protestant Christianity. But no Protestant I ever knew regards John 3:5 as refering to baptism. Instead, there are three basic theories about this.

1. The Old Testament used water metaphorically to symbolize spiritual cleansing and renewal. Therefore Jesus meant that unless a person has experienced spiritual cleansing and renewal from God’s spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven. That’s what is meant by being born from above or born again.

2. The water in John 3:5 refers to amniotic fluid. In other words, water refers to natural birth and spirit refers to spiritual or supernatural birth.

3. Water refers to the written word of God and spirit refers to the Holy Spirit.

Whenever you read a Protestant commentary on this subject, it will also include the idea that this passage refers to baptism. Then it will quickly discount that possibility because Protestants don’t think baptism is a necessary element ot salvation. They don’t believe in sacraments, and they see baptism as an act of obediance signifying that person’s public affirmation of his belief in Jesus as his personal savior. Nothing more. Since they have such a low opinion of baptism, I find it amusing that they argue so much over matters such as immersion vs. sprinkling, and infant baptism vs. believer’s baptism.

And what does Peter say baptism saves us from?

What was Noah and his family saved from when they underwent their “baptism” in the Flood?

PS - everywhere in the Scriptures it says “saved” it does not mean it is automatically speaking of eternal salvation.

There are countless of times that Baptism is necessary salvation.

Your church no more teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation any more than mine does.

Kinda necessary is not necessary.

Jesus even said it.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6* That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. * 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’ John Chapter 3 verse 5.

Yes. Jesus said WATER.

Water.

Notice He did not mention “desire,” “blood,” or “theoretical desire if you knew you should desire.”

You Protestants brag about your knowledge of the Bible but it is very clear to me that you ignore passages in the Bible that baptism is necessary for being saved.

Since Catholics ignore John 3:5 just as much as Protestants do, how convincing do you really think these types of arguments are?

Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds we have done in righteousness, but according to his mercy, by the washing of
regeneration (baptism) and renewing by the Holy Spirit

1 Pet 3:20 When the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is
eight persons were brought safely through the water, and
corresponding to that, baptism now saves us.

I don’t think that Catholic ignore John 3:5.
In the Catechism this passage is referred to in the following paragraphs:
432, 720, 1215, 1225, 1238, 1257, 1262, 2790, 782, 691, 728, 1287

You can copy/paste those paragraphs in the search page of the catechism and see how the church uses John 3:5 in it’s teachings here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.