baptism

hello and happy thanksgiving, does ne one know if my daughter should be rebaptised. she was baptised unitarian/universalist and at the time i really didn’t pay attention and now that i’m attending RCIA i’m concerned if she should be rebaptised? thank you

Normally , she would and should be conditionally baptised in the Catholic Church, and by the priest. Just in case it was done incorrectly. She will also benefit from the prayers of exorcism ( just in case ) and the oils. Ask the priest to do it. He should be only too happy. And welcome to the Church.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

[quote=seeker13]hello and happy thanksgiving, does ne one know if my daughter should be rebaptised. she was baptised unitarian/universalist and at the time i really didn’t pay attention and now that i’m attending RCIA i’m concerned if she should be rebaptised? thank you
[/quote]

There is no such thing as “Re-baptism”. If your Baptized your Baptized, you can’t be Baptized again. I would suggest that if an adult cannot be sure of the Form, Matter and Intent. Then Conditional Bapitism is in order.

it depends on the words and actions of the original “baptism”. If she was baptized by pouring water (nothing else) on the head, or by immersion, in the trinitarian formula, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, then she is baptized. UU does not believe in the trinity, so check with your diocesan office on RCIA to find out if their baptisms are valid.

[quote=seeker13]hello and happy thanksgiving, does ne one know if my daughter should be rebaptised. she was baptised unitarian/universalist and at the time i really didn’t pay attention and now that i’m attending RCIA i’m concerned if she should be rebaptised? thank you
[/quote]

Since, by definition, the Unitarians do not believe in the Trinity the baptism she received is not recognized by the Catholic Church. Therefore, she needs to be baptized.

Deacon Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.