Baptism!!

Hello All,

Please forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong section. I need serious and urgent advise on Baptism Sacrament.

What is the procedure of Baptism for Non Catholic or Non Christian in Indian Parish?

The Case is:
I got married in a Court and not in Church to a Guy who is Roman Catholic and now is blessed with a baby boy. Soon he will turn to 40 days so need urgent advise on the procedure of Baptism for him.

And will I also need to get Baptized?:confused:

No, you will not have to convert or get baptized yourself. You all need to simply meet with a parish priest to talk about all this. I think all you will have to do on your part is to not try to attempt to persuade the father away from his duty as a catholic father to raise his child catholic.

[quote="Krishapbh, post:1, topic:311450"]
Hello All,

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section. I need serious and urgent advise on Baptism Sacrament.

What is the procedure of Baptism for Non Catholic or Non Christian in Indian Parish?

The Case is:
I got married in a Court and not in Church to a Guy who is Roman Catholic and now is blessed with a baby boy. Soon he will turn to 40 days so need urgent advise on the procedure of Baptism for him.

[/quote]

I think what you are asking is do you have to have your marriage regularized, or blessed by a priest, to have you child baptized. The answer is no; it is not just to deny the grace of the sacrament of Baptism to the child. You should speak to a priest about having him baptized, he should help you out.

It is not necessary for you to be baptized in order for your child to be either. Or to have your marriage blessed, for that matter. Just speak to a priest and he will help you. :thumbsup:

I agree with the previous posters, Talk to a priest.

BUT, there are a number of things that need to happen before a priest will baptize your child.

One of them is being assured that the child will grow up in the Catholic church.

One question for you: Why is it so important to have your son baptized by 40 days, when you haven't been baptized?

I was picking up on the 40 days thing too and wonder if the opening poster is getting religions mixed up along the lines. I know that for Church of England Baptism, one doesn't have to do so on their 40th day per se, so am kind of assuming it not essential in the Roman Catholic Church either since read about adult baptisms. I think the opening poster is just getting confused about all what they've heard in a panic for Baptism.

The priest will guide you through and reassure you there isn't any requirement about 40 days in the Catholic Church unlike other completely different religions....:thumbsup:

I get the feeling that English is not the OP’s birth language.

Are they talking about baptism in an Indian parish - Syro Malabar Parish ?

It is possible that Baptism is the norm at 40 days , when [if I recall correctly ] the Anglican Church used to perform the Rite of Churching the Mother ].

[quote="The_Idiot, post:6, topic:311450"]
I get the feeling that English is not the OP's birth language.

Are they talking about baptism in an Indian parish - Syro Malabar Parish ?

It is possible that Baptism is the norm at 40 days , when [if I recall correctly ] the Anglican Church used to perform the Rite of Churching the Mother ].

[/quote]

Which might make sense if the OP was Catholic. But she isn't. And her husband isn't a practicing Catholic.

There are bigger issues than simply presenting the child for Baptism at 40 days. :shrug:

[quote="Krishapbh, post:1, topic:311450"]
Hello All,

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section. I need serious and urgent advise on Baptism Sacrament.

The Case is:

[/quote]

To get your child baptised the priest would have to be sure that the child will be brought in the Catholic faith otherwise it can be refused.

I don't fully understand your situation anyway. Are you saying that your husband is not a practising Catholic? Why were the two of you not married in Church and if you are not Catholic and your husband is not a practising Catholic why do you want your child baptised as a Catholic?

Canon Law:

Can. 868 §1 For an infant to be baptised lawfully it is required:

1° that the parents, or at least one of them, or the person who lawfully holds their place, give their consent;

2° that there be a well-founded hope that the child will be brought up in the Catholic religion. If such hope is truly lacking, the baptism is, in accordance with the provisions of particular law, to be deferred and the parents advised of the reason for this.

§2 An infant of Catholic parents, indeed even of non-catholic parents, may in danger of death be baptised even if the parents are opposed to it.

Hello All,

Thank you for the quick replies and resolving the issue.

Clarification on the question raised:

maryjk

Re: Baptism!!
One of them is being assured that the child will grow up in the Catholic church.

thistle

Re: Baptism!!
To get your child baptised the priest would have to be sure that the child will be brought in the Catholic faith otherwise it can be refused.

Certainly, The child will grow up in the Catholic church and practice Christianity.

Why is it so important to have your son baptized by 40 days, when you haven't been baptized?

I've read or heard somewhere that the baptism is done when the child is of 40 days. Which is incorrect I guess.:p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.