Baptism

I was asked this question and I don’t have an answer. Maybe some here does.

If Baptism washes away all sin including original sin as well as punishments for all sin why could/does a baby die after Baptism since a baby cannot sin. The baby would be perfect and immune to physical death since the punishment for sin is death.

We then discussed CCC#1264 and she said that this pertains to adults at least to people who are capable of sinning.

Thanks for all and any help

That Original Sin is washed away at baptism, but the effects of the original sin which is death remains.

One example is The Virgin Mother was born without original sin so therefore there was no effect of death in her.

Does this say something different?

1263 By Baptism all sins are forgiven, original sin and all personal sins, as well as all punishment for sin. In those who have been reborn nothing remains that would impede their entry into the Kingdom of God, neither Adam’s sin, nor personal sin, nor the consequences of sin, the gravest of which is separation from God.

It doesn’t say that the effects of original sin remain. Or am I misunderstanding?
Thanks

I thought that human death physically was the result of original sin. Even though Original Sin is washed away and forgiven at Baptism along with all other sins.

What does the next paragraph say?

1264 Yet certain temporal consequences of sin remain in the baptized, such as suffering, illness, death, and such frailties inherent in life as weaknesses of character, and so on, as well as an inclination to sin…

The Catechism thus says that some temporal effects of sin remain after baptism.

Yes, we have a human nature that is wounded.

It seems to me that one paragraph contradicts the other.

The first paragraph says that nothing remains to keep us from getting to the Kingdom even Adams sin. The second seems to reverse that.

I realize that as an adult we can sin after Baptism but a baby can’t and yet they sometimes die --doesn’t make sense to me, and certainly not to my friend. I should investigate a Baltimore Catechism and see what it says.

When we were small, our catechism teacher made this teaching very simple and easy to understand. Not complicated at all. The grace of Baptism wipes everything before that and we are as white as snow, completely no sin as all have been forgiven.

Our life starts after Baptism whereby any sin committed now has to be confessed to be forgiven (in normal circumstances).

Unbaptized baby carries with it the original sin. When they die they will be in limbo but the mercy of God will bring them to heaven on the last day, but for baptized babies, they will go straight to heaven. We are called to baptize our babies.

Hi!
…did you notice that Adam and Eve did not physically die?

Death entered the world through sin. Original Sin is inherited. Death is inherited. Physical death does not follow sin as an immediate consequence of sin–for that to be so most people would die early in life.

Babies/children die for various reasons. Baptism Saves from eternal damnation. Baptism does not make a person/child eternal.

Animals do not sin–they operate on a different plane of existence (even when they kill they do so on instinct). So would all animals live eternally? What about plants?

We are still ignorant of how Creation was meant to be. But we know that man’s eternity lies not in the flesh but in the spirit–that which Comes from God. It is the spirit that takes on Eternity.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.