Baptist church say Koran needs to be Flushed

I thought this article was interesting. It talks about this sign.

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/content/articles/2005/05/24/news/news01.jpg

thedigitalcourier.com/articles/2005/05/24/news/news01.txt

I don’t agree with the sign at all but there was part of the story that caught my attention:

[Danieltown Baptist Church belongs to the Sandy Run Baptist Association and the association’s Director of Missions the Rev. Jim Diehl said that Lovelace’s opinion does not necessarily reflect that of that organization.

**“Each of the churches of the Sandy Run Baptist Association are autonomous bodies,” said Diehl. “Each church can develop a stance on doctrinal issues and can develop its own stance on moral issues.”]

This just hit home with me on why I can’t belong to another church. Who do you look to for guidance on any issue when each church gets to make its own rules up??? No wonder we have thousands of branches of christianity.

GOD BLESS,
Beckers

Gotta say…I whole heartedly agree with that sign. Further…IMO…Islam is or at least close…to Satanism.

…well, now i’ve heard it all… we are agreeing with the Baptist…pssst… what a hoot… goog grief:whacky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/features/2004/08/images/ghost_270x165.gif

The Catholic Church has worked hard to make peace with other faiths. Calling the religion of a billion and a half people “Satanism” is particularily unhelpful and, in my opinion, bigoted.

There are “Christians” in this country who say the exact same thing about the Pope and the Catholic Church. Using religion to fuel hatred is wrong no matter who is doing it.

[quote=Thekla]The Catholic Church has worked hard to make peace with other faiths. Calling the religion of a billion and a half people “Satanism” is particularily unhelpful and, in my opinion, bigoted.

[/quote]

I am not saying that Islam is Satanistic, but for the sake of arguement: I object to you using as a defense that it is not, the fact of size. Is there anything to prevent Satan from massing a very large religion of his followers?

Islam, like Christianity, must stand on its own teachings and the fruits is bears for any claim of holiness. IMHO

First time I’m sidding with Protestants . . .

The size makes calling the religion Satanic “unhelpful” because rather than inflaming a handful of kooks, you risk inflaming a billion and a half people. And that can be a problem of biblical proportion.

The same “Satanic” argument has been used by “Christians” in this country and related to the size of the Catholic Church. I don’t think that evil lies in religion or faith but in the hearts of men and women.

BTW - I’ve never read the Koran, but I’m interested in the section on Mary.

Islam represents a Christian heresy. Inasmuch as all heresies are the work of Satan, Islam is satanic.

[quote=Thekla]The size makes calling the religion Satanic “unhelpful” .
[/quote]

Now your saying unhelpful instead of wrong. Just because your going to upset a lot of people doesn’t make it true or false. The truth is, it is possible to be large and Satanic. And Christians need to realize this. We are living in a very anti-Christian world and we shouldn’t change our beliefs because a lot of people are against us.

:rolleyes:

I can agree with someone of a different faith…believe it or not…its ok. This is one of the many issues most Christians can/do agree upon. Besides the Culture of Life issues.

[quote=space ghost]…well, now i’ve heard it all… we are agreeing with the Baptist…pssst… what a hoot… goog grief:whacky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/features/2004/08/images/ghost_270x165.gif
[/quote]

Call me bigoted if ya want. You are too blind to see the truth. If its not of God…it is of the devil. Open your eyes before its too late.

[quote=Thekla]The Catholic Church has worked hard to make peace with other faiths. Calling the religion of a billion and a half people “Satanism” is particularily unhelpful and, in my opinion, bigoted.

There are “Christians” in this country who say the exact same thing about the Pope and the Catholic Church. Using religion to fuel hatred is wrong no matter who is doing it.
[/quote]

[quote=Jeffrey]Call me bigoted if ya want. You are too blind to see the truth. If its not of God…it is of the devil. Open your eyes before its too late.
[/quote]

Well, this would disagree with our beloved pope John Paul 2 of blessed memory…:hmmm:

Blessings,
Shoshana

Shoshana – Islam is evil plain and simple. That is the fruit of thier labor. It is plain to see.

I originally said “unhelpful” and “bigoted.” Unhelpful meaning not practical and bigoted, which is generally considered wrong.

I believe that the Holy Father, John Paul II, was a man of deep faith who was also a pragmatist. He understood that reaching out to other people of other faiths was the catholic thing to do and helpful toward world peace.

"]

This just hit home with me on why I can’t belong to another church. Who do you look to for guidance on any issue when each church gets to make its own rules up??? No wonder we have thousands of branches of christianity.

GOD BLESS,
Beckers
My question is which do they quantify this as, “doctrinal” or “moral”…seems more political and patriotic than either. It seems to me that these folks have confused some things.

This is also the very kind thing that Newsweek reported in error and that may very well be the cause of more American deaths in Iraq and other Moslem countries.

Jesus said: " And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them in like manner." (Luke 6:31)

This sign is an appalling thing to put outside a church, every Moslem who sees it will think that is what Christians feel about them! This is no way to behave:(

I agree with that sign 100%.

Fortunately, I’m a nobody, and my opinion will cause no riots around the world.

Kill the infidels indeed. If that doesn’t deserve flushing, I don’t know what does.

Our own bible contains instructions on killing adulterers and condones the slaughter of the populations of conquered cities (in Joshua) yet it is not considered the right thing to do now.
There are plenty of honest, devout and peaceloving moslems out there (they are one of the largest pro-life groups in this country) and putting a sign like that outside a Christian church is an insult to them

[quote=garfield]Our own bible contains instructions on killing adulterers and condones the slaughter of the populations of conquered cities (in Joshua) yet it is not considered the right thing to do now.
There are plenty of honest, devout and peaceloving moslems out there (they are one of the largest pro-life groups in this country) and putting a sign like that outside a Christian church is an insult to them
[/quote]

You are forgetting the New Testament, that overrides those instructions. I don’t condone the sign though either, for it is inflamatory. I was angry at Newsweek for inflaming the situation and I don’t care for this sign either. I do have my doubts about Islam being a religion of peace after reading about the Koran.

[quote=Jeffrey]Shoshana – Islam is evil plain and simple. That is the fruit of thier labor. It is plain to see.
[/quote]

See uniya.org/education/interfaith_statements.html

“Then [we refer] to the adorers of God according to the conception of monotheism, the Muslim religion especially, deserving of our admiration for all that is true and good in their worship of God.”
**Paul VI, Ecclesiam Suam 107, August 6, 1964 **

http://www.uniya.org/images/spacer1x1.gif "But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims: these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."
          **Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium 16, November 21, 1964**

http://www.uniya.org/images/spacer1x1.gif "The Church has also a high regard for the Muslims. They worship God, who is one, living and subsistent, merciful and almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth (Cf. St. Gregory VII, Letter III, 21 to Anazir [Al-Nasir], King of Mauretania PL, 148. 451A.), who has spoken to men. They strive to submit themselves without reserve to the hidden decrees of God, just as Abraham submitted himself to God's plan, to whose faith Muslims eagerly link their own. Although not acknowledging him as God, they venerate Jesus as a prophet, his Virgin Mother they also honor, and even at times devoutly invoke. Further, they await the day of judgment and the reward of God following the resurrection of the dead. For this reason they highly esteem an upright life and worship God, especially by way of prayer, alms-deeds and fasting.

"Over the centuries many quarrels and dissensions have arisen between Christians and Muslims. The sacred Council now pleads with all to forget the past, and urges that a sincere effort be made to achieve mutual understanding; for the benefit of all men, let them together preserve and promote peace, social justice and moral values."
Second Vatican Council, Nostra Aetate 3, October 28, 1965

http://www.uniya.org/images/spacer1x1.gif                                            After quoting Nostra Aetate 3, as given above, the Pope says:

"My brothers, when I think of this spiritual heritage (Islam) and the value it has for man and for society, its capacity of offering, particularly in the young, guidance for life, filling the gap left by materialism, and giving a reliable foundation to social and juridical organization, I wonder if it is not urgent, precisely today when Christians and Muslims have entered a new period of history, to recognize and develop the spiritual bonds that unite us, in order to preserve and promote together for the benefit of all men, ‘peace, liberty, social justice and moral values’ as the Council calls upon us to do (Nostra Aetate 3)."
John Paul II, address to the Catholic community of Ankara, Turkey, November 29, 1979

http://www.uniya.org/images/spacer1x1.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.