baptist/mega-churches and scraments....

Why do so many mega-churches and baptist churches downplay the Lord’s Supper/Communion as well as pennance/confession???

And why are they so afraid of the Sacrament of Confession?

Because it contradicts their theology. :shrug:

I think it is truly a matter of ignorance due to the continued separation, over time, from the one, true Church resulting, out of necessity, in personal interpretation of Scripture. There is no connection to Tradition and an extreme lack of knowledge, or disregard, of the early Church, in which the Eucharist was central. To even mention the word “sacrament” evokes a “deer in the headlights” look for many as it is something that is just not taught. Many have never heard the word, much less had it explained. We certainly cannot hold those individuals who have grown up in these faith traditions responsible. I believe they truly love our Lord and are blest for this. They do the best they can with what they have, but what they have is truly lacking, that being the fullness of truth.

All Baptist and similar churches observe a form of communion, just not the way we do. Theirs is viewed as a symbolic act “in remembrance of Me.” The elements are not consecrated and are not thought to be the Body of Christ. The elements are typically passed through the pews in plates with the congregation self-communicating. In my former Baptist church, communion was a small glass, about the size of a shot glass, of grape juice. The bread was crumbled unsalted crackers.

No Baptist church I have seen calls its communion or anything else a sacrament. They call that, baptism, and the like ordinances. There is no formal confession. They believe that one can pray to God for forgiveness and that closes the matter. The sin is forgiven and forgotten, “washed in the Blood of the Lamb.”

First of all, Baptists don’t believe in sacraments. Not only do they not believe in them, sacraments aren’t even on the radar. Grace is received through faith**.** Nothing else is required–no water, no oil, no laying on of hands, no Eucharist.

So if you don’t believe in sacraments it diminishes the importance of communion and penance. Baptists do have two of what they call ordinances–baptism and the Lord’s supper. However, both of these are regarded as symbolic, with no graces being conferred by either one.

Like I said, sacraments aren’t even on the Baptist radar. Read the Baptist Faith & Message, which is the statement of faith of the Southern Baptist Convention, and you will find nothing about sacraments. Not even a statement to the effect that they don’t exist. However, if Baptists thought about the scriptural basis for the sacraments, they might come to realize they are something more than symbols. Take James 5:14-15 for example. There can be no stronger support for annointing of the sick than these two verses. Most of the other sacraments have similarly strong scriptural support. Baptists, however, gloss over these passages of scripture. I don’t think it’s a deliberate omission, but just something that is often confusing and not particularly meaningful.

And why are they so afraid of the Sacrament of Confession?

They aren’t afraid of it, they just don’t believe it is efficacious. Moreover, they regard a priest as a mediator between man and God, and scripture is clear that there is only one mediator between man and God–the man Christ Jesus.

Of course if Baptists came to believe in the sacraments, they would then have the problem of who could administer them.

Very well stated. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.