Baptist Minister

SAAD hospice care sent their Chaplin to visit my wife this week. I discovered he is a retired Baptist Minister who has been married to a Catholic for 50 years. Isn’t 50 years long enough to bring someone to R.C.I.A?

Isn’t the fact that he was kind enough to visit your wife enough for you without having to disparage his wife?

If fifty years wasn’t long enough for a Baptist minister to bring his wife to his own Church …

By the way, you put a title on this thread that seems to be unrelated to the content of your post. The allusion is too subtle for me, perhaps.

Forgive me if you think I am disparaging his wife. The post is intended to highlight the need for Evangelization in our faith.

You can see where I got that idea, can’t you?

That’s not the way to go about it.

We have our part to do, but God also must do His part. As we learn from the Gospels, sometimes He doesn’t call souls until even the 11th hour (meaning the very end). Perhaps this person visiting the sick and dying is part of the means though which he will obtain from God the graces he needs.

For a protestant minister to convert, they will lose their livelihood, their peers, their friends, the part of the Tiber they cross is far more dangerous. Most have only a Baptist Bible School for education, not something that transfers to the professional world.

We can evangelize our families forever, but ultimately, it’s in God’s timing and through the direction of the Holy Spirit. I’m sure he and his wife had discussed this and prayed for each other.

The Holy Scriptures are full of evidence how God uses us to accomplish his will. In each case it depends on our total surrender to his will before really great things happen. It is easy to point at God when things do not go according to plan, but we need to look in the mirror to discover the obstacle to his grace before putting the ball back into his court.

Very true. Those pastors who have converted made tremendous sacrifices, but with the help of the Coming Home Network have gone on to live very productive lives. Alex Jones is one of my favorite conversion stories. You can find him on YouTube.

I have not spoken to John about his wife, but I plan to inquire about her when he comes next week. She might have converted to Baptist. We shall see.

The title is related to the fact that John is a Baptist. Not new for me to be mischievous. My apology for being me.

Next time you look in a mirror, ask yourself what is wrong with you. A hospital chaplain courteously met with your wife in her hour of need, and you return his courtesy by posting a gratuitous insult against his wife.
My suggestion: Seek out the chaplain, confess to him what you have done, and request his forgiveness.

Yes I do see where you got the idea. I often overlook things, but rest assured someone will point out the error of my ways.

Do you have a better way? I am open to suggestions.

You can trust God to always do his part. We are the ones who are an obstacle to grace.

Every day is a day of God’s grace in the lives of those who come into our presence. That grace extends to them depending on the amount of obstacle we present at the time. I do not go out seeking to share God’s grace with the world. I attempt to stay tuned to who he decides to put into my life.

The best way to evangelize is to live a life full of love and joy in accordance with the Gospel in such a way that others will want to emulate you. As St. Francis said, “Preach the Gospel always. If necessary, use words”. The point is that words are seldom necessary, and when they are not necessary, they are just wasted. Being a good example and a light to the world are much more effective than a whole library of apologetics or years of debate and haranguing.

Oh I live in the mirror ever since my return to the Church in 2000. I have discovered a lot about what is wrong with me.

I do not consider what I posted an insult to his wife. I do not even know her name.

My intent, apparently misguided, again, is to point out our need to Evangelize. Catholics sorely lack Evangelical skills, as pointed out in Vatican II, hence the continued growth in education for Catholics when it comes to Evangelization. We must learn the truth, live the truth, to become the Evangelist we are meant to be.

I lived in ignorance of the whole truth until 2000 at the age of 50. These past 18 years have been and continue to be a real eye opener for me.

Amen! By the way this quote has not been verified as coming from St. Francis.

Apologetic’s and and years of debate is how we learn. Or at least it is how I have learned these past 18 years.

They are theological training wheels that you will find less use for as you mature.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.