Baptist.....?

How are Baptist looked upon by most Catholics or the Church? Simple Question. Thanks

In Him,
Ryan

Well…“I” look at Baptists as my introduction to God. I am a convert from a “non-denominational” Baptist church. I learned to love my Bible there and I learned to love my God there. In the Catholic Church, however, I have come to “know” my God!

[quote=Vaughn7107]How are Baptist looked upon by most Catholics or the Church? Simple Question. Thanks

In Him,
Ryan
[/quote]

They lack the fullness of the Truth. If they baptize with water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit then they are validly baptized.

Well, I am in Texas, where Southern Baptists are a majority, so we are very polite to them. I have enough Baptist relatives, friends and colleagues around the country to know that there are great variations in Baptist preachers, ministers, their training and preparation, their doctrine and practice, and in various Baptist organizations.

[quote=Genesis315]They lack the fullness of the Truth. If they baptize with water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit then they are validly baptized.
[/quote]

I am Southern Baptist, rather I attend a SBC Church, we don’t always “agree”, but and I have NEVER attended a Baptisim where a person was not Baptized in the named of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Just my experience.

I can’t speak for anyone but myself. It has been my most unfortunate experience to note that the vast majority of Southern Baptists of my acquaintance “talk the talk” but they sure don’t “walk the walk”. I too live in an area of the country where there are a lot of Baptists and I have to work with them. It seems to me they have a great disconnect between preaching the gospel and living the gospel. My boss (who is an “ordained” SBC minister [no theological degree, his congregation voted to ordain him] with his own church on the side), for example, is the most ruthless, vicious tyrant I have ever had the misfortune of working for. His “lieutenant” is also Baptist and is just as ruthless. He has hired (in a governmental agency) about ten of his “parishoners”. Oh, we are all “Jesus this” and “the Lord that” but when it comes to practicing the gospel…well, as he said “Business is business”. It has really been a burden to my faith to see all of these folks ostensibly “preach the gospel” but not follow it. For myself, this seems to be the Baptist norm. I’m sure there are Catholics who are identical but I have yet to meet a Southern Baptist who does not follow this pattern.

[quote=brotherhrolf]I can’t speak for anyone but myself. It has been my most unfortunate experience to note that the vast majority of Southern Baptists of my acquaintance “talk the talk” but they sure don’t “walk the walk”. I too live in an area of the country where there are a lot of Baptists and I have to work with them. It seems to me they have a great disconnect between preaching the gospel and living the gospel. My boss (who is an “ordained” SBC minister [no theological degree, his congregation voted to ordain him] with his own church on the side), for example, is the most ruthless, vicious tyrant I have ever had the misfortune of working for. His “lieutenant” is also Baptist and is just as ruthless. He has hired (in a governmental agency) about ten of his “parishoners”. Oh, we are all “Jesus this” and “the Lord that” but when it comes to practicing the gospel…well, as he said “Business is business”. It has really been a burden to my faith to see all of these folks ostensibly “preach the gospel” but not follow it. For myself, this seems to be the Baptist norm. I’m sure there are Catholics who are identical but I have yet to meet a Southern Baptist who does not follow this pattern.
[/quote]

And I have had the opposite experience. I was raised Southern Baptist, my grandmother taught Sunday school, my grandfather has been a deacon for 50+ years. I accepted Jesus as my Savior at the age of 7 and was baptized (yes, by full imersion, in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, as are all who profess faith in Christ in that denomination). In my little northeast Texas town, the Baptists ran everything (we routinely defeated liquor-by-the-drink laws in our precinct). The people and the church of my childhood were very committed to Christ and to following Him. My grandparents were saints, the picture of committed love. Having said all that, they were all woefully ignorant of Catholicism and taught me that it might be the Great Whore of Babylon, that the Pope might be the Anti-Christ, that Catholics worshipped the BVM, and that most Catholics got drunk, then went to Confession to confess getting drunk. My grandparents were not thrilled when I converted, but they were loving toward me and that never changed. My grandmother, before she died, had developed a greater understanding of Catholicism and my grandfather doesn’t seem to mind now, though he does occasionally ask me somewhat anxious questions. I think Baptists and other conscientious Christians who are not in formal communion with Holy Mother Church are what the CCC says they are: our brothers and sisters in Christ, our fellow Christians, in sure, though imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church.

[quote=MasonsMommy]I am Southern Baptist, rather I attend a SBC Church, we don’t always “agree”, but and I have NEVER attended a Baptisim where a person was not Baptized in the named of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Just my experience.
[/quote]

Well, then they are validly baptized:) .

The Church looks at Baptists as separated brethren but Christians nonetheless.

I have mixed feelings about Baptists. I recognize that they can be fervent Christians with a great love of Christ, but they can also be vicious anti-Catholics and triumpalist (we’re saved but none of the rest of you are). The more charitable Baptists (and non-Catholics in general) who interact with us Catholics, the better view we will develop of you (and, we hope, you of us).

You won’t find many ministers teaching the same thing from church to church, because the minister in my town teaches that we are all predestined and I don’t think that is taught by the head of their church. They also think God started there church when a man in Phili did. But I still respect them, but caticize them at the same time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.