Baptist

Hi Baptist members, i found this on the website and i just need to understand is that what you believe in, coz i hear so many pple talking about Baptist this and that, yet i don’t know what they believes, pardon me for being ignorant…

What is a Baptist?

A BAPTIST wears the nickname proudly.
A BAPTIST is not a Protestant.
Note: Baptist were never in the Roman Catholic Church to protest.
A Baptist is the only Christian that has never symbolized with Rome.
A BAPTIST is a FUNDAMENTALIST.
A BAPTIST is a PRE-Millennialist.
A BAPTIST is a Dispensationalist.
A BAPTIST worships Jesus Christ as Jehovah God.
A BAPTIST is loyal to Apostolic teaching.
A BAPTIST knows that the history of Baptists was written in Blood.
A BAPTIST rest in the finished work of Christ.
A BAPTIST declares absolute Religious Liberty.
A BAPTIST believes in Salvation by Grace plus nothing.
A BAPTIST believes in Justification by Faith.
A BAPTIST believes in Eternal Security.
A BAPTIST accepts the Bible as the complete revelation of God.
A BAPTIST believes true science and the Bible agree.
A BAPTIST believes the Church is a life boat not a tug boat.
A BAPTIST believes Jesus Christ will return the second time as the King of the Jews to set up his Kingdom as promised.
A BAPTIST believes all Church members are equal.
A BAPTIST believes the Church is timeless and signless.
A BAPTIST believes in the immanent Rapture of the Church.
A BAPTIST believes Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven. John 14:6
A BAPTIST believes in the separation of Church and State.
A BAPTIST believes Jesus Christ is head of the Church.
A BAPTIST believes in the Priesthood of believers.
A BAPTIST rejects the Evil Doctrine of Purgatory.
A BAPTIST believes in enerrency of the Bible.
A BAPTIST believes in divine inspiration of the Bible.
A BAPTIST believes in believers Baptism by emersion only.
A BAPTIST rejects infant Baptism.
A BAPTIST rejects Baptismal Regeneration.
A BAPTIST believes in capital punishment as the foundation of Human Government. Gen. 9:5-6
A BAPTIST rejects tradition as being equal to the Word of God.
A BAPTIST rejects the modern corrupt versions of the Bible.
A BAPTIST opposes the Charismatic movement.
A BAPTIST rejects the error of Post-Millennialism.
A BAPTIST does not support moderates and liberals.
A BAPTIST does not compromise with moderates and liberals.
A BAPTIST believes the local Church is God’s only ordained established institution on earth to carry out His will.
A BAPTIST believes the local Church is God’s business office.
A BAPTIST observes only two ordinances of the New Testament Church which are Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
A BAPTIST accepts the Bible as the only rule of faith and practice.
A BAPTIST does not believe in Apostolic Succession.
A BAPTIST believes in a Pre-Tribulation Rapture.
A BAPTIST loves God’s chosen people, the Jews and the Nation of Israel.
A BAPTIST believes in the 490 years of Daniel’s Prophecy.
A BAPTIST knows that Roman Catholicism is a false religion and the pope is a false Prophet.
A BAPTIST Knows that the Baptists were the hated people of the Dark ages and millions died for the Baptist Faith.
A BAPTIST knows that before Martin Luther and John Calvin, there were Baptists in all the countries of Europe who adhered to the doctrines of modern Baptist.
A BAPTIST knows that his weapons are Spiritual not Carnal. Eph. 6:11-17
A BAPTIST hinders Apostasy by being salt and light in this wicked world.
A BAPTIST knows that the name “ANA-BAPTIST” is the oldest denominational name in history. NOTE: The “ANA” was dropped when they refused to accept Infant Baptism.

And your point is…?:yawn:

Sorry just need to check if all those listed are what they believe in? nothing else…

You have about as many different interpretations of what the Baptist church believes, as there are Baptist people themselves. So trying to find common ground for all of them would be a pretty futile endeavor. :wink:

A BAPTIST knows that before Martin Luther and John Calvin, there were Baptists in all the countries of Europe who adhered to the doctrines of modern Baptist.

What does that mean? Of course there have always been faithful Christians, but there are a number of errors in this statement. The implication is that (1) the Baptist church is the only real church and (2) John Calvin and Martin Luther were ¿Baptists?
I think not… Calvin was a Protestant and Luther was a Lutheran.

That was written by a “Landmarkist”.
Not a mainstream Baptist.
Landmarkism denies that the truth that the Baptist Church was founded by English Seperatist John Smyth in 1609.
WP

Perhaps the biggest problem with Baptists is that they are not held under the water long enough?:rolleyes:

(OK, how much penance for that one:( )

a hail mary should do it I bet :smiley:

Interesting list. I used to be a Baptist and while most of that is pretty generally true, there are different groups of Baptists and so those won’t apply universally. Though I think the list sums up the Independant Baptist Church pretty well.

I was a Southern Baptist, and there are a few things that I would disagree with. The overall Baptist movement and even the SBC which is a latter member of the movement were in existance before the thelogical novelties of: dispensationalism and fundamentalism which are modern theological viewpoints. pre-millinialism has ancient roots though it was not commonly accepted until the 1900’s with the introduction of dispensationalism (which also introduced the pre-trib concept). While many Southern Baptists do believe in the aformentioned theologies they are not bound too them.

Also not all Baptists are Calvinistic, and many Baptists are liberals and do not hold to inerrancy. Hope this helps.

Hi,
I use to belong to a southern baptist church and I know someone who is an independent baptist and would agree with all on the list. I am in a non-denom church and we agree with most of it. People have different theories on tribulation and milleneilism(SP?). I am not sure we believe that the Pope is a prophet let alone a false one. Im not sure about catholocism being a false religion either. Most people I talk with just think the CC has added unneccesary dogmas(is that the right term)or doctrines, Im not sure what the right terms are for what beliefs. Ya think Ive been here long enough I would get it stairght:o

I would agree with the rest.

I am saying this as a Methodist so don’t jump the Catholics for it:D
From what I can tell the “Non-Denom” churches actually ARE a new denomination. A denomination which is a mixture between Baptist and Assembly of God.
Am I wrong?
WP

Among all the many other ignorant points of the OP list, the following are funny beyond words:

A BAPTIST is not a Protestant.
Note: Baptist were never in the Roman Catholic Church to protest.
A Baptist is the only Christian that has never symbolized with Rome.

Precisely and properly speaking, a Protestant, by any definition save an a-historical or self-serving one, is a non-Catholic Christian who adheres to the main planks of the Protestant “Reformation,” that being:
[LIST]
*]Sola Scriptura
*]Sola Fide
*]Private interpretation of the Scriptures
*]An invisible, “spiritual,” Church of all believers (at least of those who hold to “the essentials” however and by whomever *those *may be defined :rolleyes: )
[/LIST]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant#Protestant_families_of_denominations

If one meets the above description, one is a Protestant, whether they like the term or not. As the article above points out, this includes Baptists.

A BAPTIST knows that the history of Baptists was written in Blood.
A BAPTIST Knows that the Baptists were the hated people of the Dark ages and millions died for the Baptist Faith.

These two articles will put this silliness to rest:
catholic-convert.com/Portals/0/TrailOfBlood.doc
envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.4/coverstory.html

That second link is hilarious!:smiley:
As this Methodist has been saying the whole time.
Baptists Beginning- 1609 by John Smyth.
WP

Hi,
I didnt mean to sound like I was jumping on the catholics at all. Just poiting out I didnt agree with those couple of statements is all. I would say we have almost all of the same beliefs as baptist but Im not sure about AOG. I dont know much about them.:o

When the OP talks about Baptist history being written in blood he is referring to a booklet that you can get on the web called “The Trail of Blood” it is supposed to be what really happened in the history of the church. The only problem is that the very groups they claim are persecuted Baptists are groups they have nothing in common with.

The last link in post #12 goes to an article by Steve Ray which refutes “The Trail of Blood” theory, for all who are interested. Thanks to Fidelis for posting it. :thumbsup:

I think that the OP is just asking questions about an article that she came across. I might be mistaken but I don’t think that happygal is a baptist, herself.

When I was a Baptist, thankfully, I was never taught the Trail of Blood theory.

Yup i aim a baptist else i won’t one to gather information about what baptist believes …hehe

I’ve been a Catholic all my life and I’ve never considered the Pope to be a prophet. Nor have I met a Catholic who has. It’s not in the Catechism. Where does this come from?

I used to be a Baptist as are many of my friends still. Most Baptists that I know do not hold to the Trail of Blood or think that Catholics are not Christian.

Baptists tend to have a wide variety of beliefs with a few in common.

The list that you found would leave out many of the Baptist that I know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.