Baptists can trace their history to NT times

Please inform us all on how baptists and anabaptists can trace their heritage to apostolic times. we’re listening, please tell us.

[quote=bengal_fan]Please inform us all on how baptists and anabaptists can trace their heritage to apostolic times. we’re listening, please tell us.
[/quote]

My “Church of God” step mom tried to tell me that the “Pentecostals” can trace thier lineage all the way back to the Day of Pentecost! Her son - my half brother - is a Bishop of the Church of God, so it must be true…according to her. :eek:

think they have the corner on the market when it comes to truth. Most Catholics seemed more concerned with being a “good catholic” vs. going out in the world and doing God’s work. The “wafer” at Mass doesn’t save you - being a follower of Jesus and being baptized in the holy spirit does. If more of Christ’s followers took the time to understand the Word of God they would know that the truth is through him - not through the Catholic church. The hair splitting amongst Christians is hampering our ability to get to the people that truly need the light of Christ in their lives.

[quote=bengal_fan]Please inform us all on how baptists and anabaptists can trace their heritage to apostolic times. we’re listening, please tell us.
[/quote]

This is a no-win argument for both sides. First, there is no evidence, but conversely it cannot be disproven. The claim is so general that all you would need is one guy in every generation believing or following John the Baptist to make the claim true and thus it is nearly impossible to disprove.

The question shouldn’t be: whose heritage is older? but rather: whose Church was founded by Jesus Christ Himself?

The question shouldn’t be: whose heritage is older? but rather: whose Church was founded by Jesus Christ Himself?

Baptists claim the same heritage. They claim the apostles were not Catholic or the previous incarnation called Universal. :eek:

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]think they have the corner on the market when it comes to truth. Most Catholics seemed more concerned with being a “good catholic” vs. going out in the world and doing God’s work. The “wafer” at Mass doesn’t save you - being a follower of Jesus and being baptized in the holy spirit does. If more of Christ’s followers took the time to understand the Word of God they would know that the truth is through him - not through the Catholic church. The hair splitting amongst Christians is hampering our ability to get to the people that truly need the light of Christ in their lives.
[/quote]

Baptists spend too much time bashing Catholics vs going out in the world and doing God’s work.

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]think they have the corner on the market when it comes to truth. Most Catholics seemed more concerned with being a “good catholic” vs. going out in the world and doing God’s work.
[/quote]

This is an unusual statement to make as the definition of being a “good Catholic” *is *going out in the world and doing God’s work.

The “wafer” at Mass doesn’t save you -

You’re right, the wafer doesn’t save us. Good thing for Catholics it’s not a wafer but the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ Himself as promised in John 6 and fulfilled at the Last Supper.

being a follower of Jesus and being baptized in the holy spirit does.

Where in Scripture does Jesus say that’s *all *that’s required? You seem to be omitting quite a few passages.

If more of Christ’s followers took the time to understand the Word of God they would know that the truth is through him - not through the Catholic church.

Were you alive 2000 years ago as a personal witness to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ? Didn’t think so. Everything you *think *you know about Jesus Christ has come from other people. Who is it that preserved the life and teachings of Jesus Christ throughout the past 2000 years? Where did the Bible come from? The Catholic Church. It is through the Catholic Church that we come to know the authentic and true Jesus Christ and not some invented idea of Him.

The hair splitting amongst Christians is hampering our ability to get to the people that truly need the light of Christ in their lives.

Not true. Before I married my bride, I didn’t stop at just a name. I spent months finding out more about her, knowing her hopes, dreams, and desire. Thus, my love for her, in the Sacrament of marriage is the desire to share in those very same hopes and dreams of hers. That’s what *true *love of God is. It is not enough to just love God’s name or to love that He loves us. If we loved God we would desire to know his hopes, dreams and desires for humanity and thus debates over “doctrines” are not petty arguments but rather attempts to know what God hopes and dreams for humanity and to disregard them as irrelevant demostrates a complete lack of true love of God.

[quote=JoeyWarren]Baptists spend too much time bashing Catholics vs going out in the world and doing God’s work.
[/quote]

Totally disagree with that statement. I am in the hotbed of Catholics here in central PA. I would say it is most certainly the other way around. I have been reading this board and the arrogance and ignorance to other faiths demostrated by many catholics that post here is alarming. I choose to read God’s word, meditate on scripture and work to lead people to a psersonal relationship with God. I rarely here catholics refer to themselves as Christian. They always say “he or she is a good catholic”. Too many catholics are missing the boat following the church and not keeping their eyes on Christ.

[quote=JoeyWarren]Baptists claim the same heritage. They claim the apostles were not Catholic or the previous incarnation called Universal. :eek:
[/quote]

It was my understanding that they do not claim their heritage as that of the Apostles but rather of John the Baptist and *his *followers…hence the name “baptist.”

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]Totally disagree with that statement. I am in the hotbed of Catholics here in central PA. I would say it is most certainly the other way around. I have been reading this board and the arrogance and ignorance to other faiths demostrated by many catholics that post here is alarming. I choose to read God’s word, meditate on scripture and work to lead people to a psersonal relationship with God. I rarely here catholics refer to themselves as Christian. They always say “he or she is a good catholic”. Too many catholics are missing the boat following the church and not keeping their eyes on Christ.
[/quote]

To follow the Church is to follow Christ. Christ did not leave us orphans, He gave the Apostles authority to guide the Church while He was gone. To disrespect the Church is to disrespect the wishes of Christ.

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]think they have the corner on the market when it comes to truth. Most Catholics seemed more concerned with being a “good catholic” vs. going out in the world and doing God’s work.
[/quote]

I think that is the first time I have ever heard Catholics being accused of *not *doing works!

The “wafer” at Mass doesn’t save you - being a follower of Jesus and being baptized in the holy spirit does.

You realize Catholics are followers of Christ and are baptised, right?

If more of Christ’s followers took the time to understand the Word of God they would know that the truth is through him - not through the Catholic church.

In the Word of God you will see that Christ establishes a Church. One Church. Also, if you read the history of the Bible you will discover the Church’s involvement at the Councils of Carthage and Hippo. We know the Bible.

hair-splitting

The doctrinal differences amongst the breakaway churches are not hair-splitting. There are major theological errors amongst those churches regarding salvation, baptism, the Real Presence; not minor points at all.

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]Totally disagree with that statement. I am in the hotbed of Catholics here in central PA. I would say it is most certainly the other way around. I have been reading this board and the arrogance and ignorance to other faiths demostrated by many catholics that post here is alarming. I choose to read God’s word, meditate on scripture and work to lead people to a psersonal relationship with God. I rarely here catholics refer to themselves as Christian. They always say “he or she is a good catholic”. Too many catholics are missing the boat following the church and not keeping their eyes on Christ.
[/quote]

As a Catholic working for a Catholic radio station in the Bible belt, would you like me to recite all the anti-Catholic letters and phone calls we get?

[quote=ExpectAMiracle] I rarely here catholics refer to themselves as Christian. They always say “he or she is a good catholic”.
[/quote]

May God heal your bitterness. Regarding “Catholic”, Catholics were the first Christians. “Catholic” means “universal” and we are members of Christ’s Church - the “universal Church” he founded. The Bishop of Antioch uses the term “Catholic Church” around 107 A.D. Remember, Antioch is also the first place where we see the followers of Christ called “Christians”.

This truly should be a simple question to answer.

We know that Christians cannot hide their light unders a bushel.

We know that the Catholic Church can point to history and say, look, here are the Christians. And look, this is when the first Christians called themselves Catholic.

If you dispute this, where is the history and quotes from those Christians? Or did they hide their light? Did they always call themselves baptists?

God Bless,
Maria

mike:

I will pray for you. Jesus told Peter he was th rock and that he would build his church on that rock. My Bible says nothing about it being a Catholic rock. Your church is distracted by it’s rituals that you cannot focus on Christ’s teachings. It’s sad the majority of Catholics taking communion think that’s enough to get by. I don’t remember Jesus setting a frequency to the number of observances of his last supper. Why do you do it every week. It seems to me his sacrifice once was enough. why do you continue to put him on the cross?

Unless you are very healthy you weren’t alive 2000 years ago either. So everything you know about Christ has come from the same scripture and stories we read. The biggest difference as I see it is your church has have had many MEN under papal infalibility changing and interpreting the doctrine. My question was an honest one. Why do you feel your church with all of it’s MAN made rituals and changes in doctrine has a corner on the market? Why are you more concerned with observing the Catholic church than following Christ? Jesus said “pick up your cross and follow me”. He didn’t say pick up your cross and follow the Catholic church. So why the arrogance towards God’s word? Why do you rarely see a Bible at a Catholic Mass?

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]mike:

I will pray for you. Jesus told Peter he was th rock and that he would build his church on that rock.
[/quote]

Peter, the rock is Peter. And Pope Benedict XVI is his successor through apostolic succession.

[quote=mike182d]To follow the Church is to follow Christ. Christ did not leave us orphans, He gave the Apostles authority to guide the Church while He was gone. To disrespect the Church is to disrespect the wishes of Christ.
[/quote]

That has to be the funniest thing I have read all week! Once again, my point is proven. catholics are more concerned with followng a Church than following Christ.

I will pray that you read His Word and choose to have a personal walk with Him.

[quote=ExpectAMiracle] Your church is distracted by it’s rituals that you cannot focus on Christ’s teachings.
[/quote]

Are you referring to Sacraments? Sacraments which infuse us with grace, are biblical and draw us closer to Him? These are not “distractions” at all but beautiful ways to grow in our faith.

[quote=MariaG]This truly should be a simple question to answer.

We know that Christians cannot hide their light unders a bushel.

We know that the Catholic Church can point to history and say, look, here are the Christians. And look, this is when the first Christians called themselves Catholic.

If you dispute this, where is the history and quotes from those Christians? Or did they hide their light? Did they always call themselves baptists?

So are you saying Baptists and non-catholics aren’t Christians?
[/quote]

[quote=ExpectAMiracle]That has to be the funniest thing I have read all week! Once again, my point is proven. catholics are more concerned with followng a Church than following Christ.

I will pray that you read His Word and choose to have a personal walk with Him.
[/quote]

The Church is the Bride of Christ. It’s Biblical.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.