Baptized Catholic needs and wants communion

I need some advise. I was baptized at the age of 6. I am now 39 years old. I was raised and have always been Catholic. I lived with my Grandparents from the age of 3 months til I was 7 years old. When my mother came back into my life and took me to live with her and my stepfather. I never finished CCD, but have always believed in the Catholic faith. I have been to confession, as recently as yesterday. Can I take part in Communion, or do I need to attend RCIA before I can take communion and be confirmed. This is very important to me, and need some advice.

Thanks in advance,

JohnJohn

If you were baptized Catholic, believe all that the Church teaches, especially concerning the Eucharist, and have gone to confession and received absolution, you can receive Holy Communion. However, you should talk to your priest about receiving instruction in order to be confirmed as soon as possible.

It’s great to hear that God is drawing you to Him, and that you are corresponding.

The first thing you need to do is make a general confession. Next, I would contact a priest and explain your situation. If you will e-mail me the area you live in, I’ll see if I can find you a good priest to talk to.

In the mean time, do a google search for a good examination of conscience and begin to prepare for you general confession.

I am already going to a local parish and feel really good. I have been to confession one on one with a priest and have also attend saturday confession. I really feel the need to receive communion and be confirmed. I need this so much in my life.

Contact the parish you live near. Talk with the priest.

You will have to receive Confirmation before you can receive First Eucharist. Most likely they will want you to be part of the RCIA program. The RCIA programs are just starting up now so if you act fast you could make it into this class now and have it for the Easter Vigil.

Contrary to what these others have said, do not approach the Eucharist until you have spoken to your priest.

There are three Sacraments of Initiation, Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation. We should not be doing any of these on our own without the Church being involved.

Now the priest may allow you to do so with out the RCIA process but I highly doubt it.

He has been baptized Catholic, as long as he goes to confession and receives absolution, he can receive Holy Communion, Confirmation is not necessary in order to receive. However, he indeed should contact his parish to arrange his confirmation.

Yep, as long as he received his First Communion, he can go up and receive it without being confirmed. I would also hope the OP is seriously looking into RCIA anyways to get confirmed in the near future.

Do approach the priest about it first, absolutely - but ByzCath, confirmation is not necessary.

It has been standard for near 2,000 years for Catholics to receive First Communion, as I did, years prior to Confirmation.

This individual has not received First Communion. He should not do so on his own without first speaking to a priest.

This is untrue. The splitting of the Sacraments of Initiation and the disordering of them is something new in the History of the Church. the splitting of them in the West is older. The disordering of them though is something that is of a much more recent time and it is something that the bishops are starting to correct.

We should not initiate any of the Sacraments of Initiation on our own. You should speak with a priest first.

Forgive my ignorance :o I totally agree with your last paragraph.

However, it is wrong of you to refer to changes in Church discipline regarding the ordering of the Sacraments as ‘disorder’.

This is not ‘disorder’, any more than the change from non-celibate to celibate priesthood or TLM to Pauline Mass can be called ‘disorder’. It is simply the Church exercising its right, authority, and occasionally its duty, to change disciplines, as it has often done down the centuries.

Hi,

If you never completeted the instructions for First Holy Communion, I think you should definitely speak to you Pastor before receiving Holy Communion.

God Bless you.

Lux

I am sorry but they are disordered. Any where that you read about the Sacraments of Initiation you will read them as Baptism, First Eucharist, and Confirmation. There is a theology behind them that is lost when you change the order.

If it isn’t disordered then why are there bishops who are saying that they are returning to the traditional ordering of them.

Maybe that is a better wording, traditional and non-traditional ordering.

But on another point.

It is the parish priests job to ensure that all those coming forward for First Eucharist are properly catechized. The OP states that he did not finish CCD but even if he had it would still be the job of the parish priest to ensure this.

Here is the relevant canon from the Code of Canon Law.

Can. 777 In a special way, the parish priest is to ensure, in accordance with the norms laid down by the diocesan Bishop, that:

an adequate catechesis is given for the celebration of the sacraments;

children are properly prepared for first confession and first holy communion, and for the sacrament of confirmation, by means of catechetical formation over an appropriate period of time;

children, after they have made their first holy communion, are given a richer and deeper catechetical formation;

as far as their condition allows, catechetical formation is given to the mentally and physically handicapped;

the faith of young people and of adults is strengthened, enlightened and developed by various catechetical methods and initiatives .

I know this speaks about children but one can see how this should apply to adults also.

Uh huh … and YOU were the one stating the OP had to be confirmed BEFORE he could receive Holy Communion - going against the order you’ve just stated - not I. Just a reminder:

[quote=ByzCath]You will have to receive Confirmation before you can receive First Eucharist.
[/quote]

I was the one saying he didn’t have to be confirmed prior to receiving First Communion. And I am correct according to the Canon you have just quoted. Have I slipped into some parallel universe here? :confused:

Again, and you appear to have missed this point, I absolutely agree that proper catechesis and consultation with the priest is necessary before any of the Sacraments of Initation are received.

Actually no, for adults the traditional order of the Sacraments of Initiation is used. An unbaptized adult will receive Baptism, then Confirmation and then first Eucharist. In the case of an adult that has just received Baptism they will be receive Confirmation and First Eucharist, in that order. That is the way it was done with me and the way we are doing it in the RCIA program where I am assisting in the teaching.

A valid Baptism is a valid Baptism no matter where it was received. There is a need to ensure proper catechesis and an adult will be received in the manner I have stated.

The original order of Initiation, in both the East and West, was Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist, all received at the same time… Eucharist was seen as the culmination of Initiation. The sacraments in the West became separated in the Middle Ages but Confirmation was received before Eucharist. When Pius X lowered the age for First Communmion, Confirmation then was received after Communion. Even up to the middle of the last century Confirmation was received soon after Eucharist. I received mine in 4th grade. A friend of mine received Confirmation a week after her First Communion at age 8.

The East has retained the practice of receiving all three sacraments at the occasion of Baptism, but Eucharist is still the culmination received following the other two.

this is not true. please talk to your pastor so you can receive communion at the earliest opportunity. If you made your first communion as a child, all you need is confession and you may return to communion. It is still important to see about preparing for confirmation, but the first order of business is returning to Mass and communion. WElcome home, please talk to your priest.

OP should disregard the discussion on the order of sacraments of initiation, which differs depending on rite and circumstance, since it is not relevant to his situation, and should be on another thread altogether.

Thanks for being honest.

I was baptized as an infant went to confesion at 7 recieved first communion at 7 and then was confrimed at 14- 8th grade.

The priest will not make you go backwards that is denying the confession as valid.

You should finish RCIA and confirmation, which is becoming part of the church, as it was through your own ignorance that what happened to you was not in your control but you know now so finish RCIA.
Other faith baptisms are valid in the church if they are trinity.
Other faiths communions are not if you have been to other faiths communions tell the priest, it was through your own unknowledge.
You were not taught so you did not know, so you must learn now and just going to church will not teach you. You should get a sponsor, someone who is more knowledgeable than your mom.

Dessert

The Canon you quoted says absolutely nothing about the order being different for children than for adults - quote me a canon that is relevant, please.

The OP has not received first communion and most dioceses require that those who have only been baptized, even in the Catholic Church, attend the RCIA program to ensure proper catechesis. While this is not optimal it is practical as the priest can not teach every single person that needs on a one-to-one basis.

If one has received first communion then yes, all that is necessary is to go to confession and then receive, but when one has not they should not do so without contacting their pastor first.

As a side note, when I used the word disordered I meant the following definition of the word.

not arranged in order

Can. 866 Unless there is a grave reason to the contrary, immediately after receiving baptism an adult is to be confirmed, to participate in the celebration of the Eucharist and to receive holy communion.

I know what you will say, that this mentions baptism. You can try to argue that point but I will not respond. I feel I have adequately supported my argument even to the point of finding support from my priests and lay people involved in Sacramental preparation.

As the pastor is responsible to ensure that everyone receiving First Eucharist is properly catechized no one should approach the Sacrament without first speaking to him for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.