Baptizing a foster child

You seem to be proposing that Baptism is no longer necessary, that is far from the case, since we do not know with any certainity the fate of un-Baptized infants. But maybe I’m not understanding your post?

Please stay on topic, everyone. Remember, the OP asked a question which is why the thread exists. Thank you all.

• I went researching through the Code of Canon Law on the Vatican Website and discovered this little section of the Code which defnitely seems to cover your little one’s baptism in the Catholic Church as . . .absolutely possible . . . immediately . . . in accordance with the below Canon Law . . .

**Code of Canon Law
BOOK IV FUNCTION OF THE CHURCH (Cann. 834 - 848)
PART I. THE SACRAMENTS
TITLE I. BAPTISM (Cann. 849 - 878)
CHAPTER III. THOSE TO BE BAPTIZED

[size=]Can. 870[/size] An abandoned :tada: infant or a foundling is to be baptized unless after diligent investigation the baptism of the infant is established.

In other words . . . if the little one hasn’t been baptized since being born . . . she is eligible in accordance with the above Canon Law to be baptized . . . no matter what her future may hold as far as possible adoptive parents, etc., . . . because you described your little one as being an abandoned infant . . . which establishes the qualification for you to go ahead and arrange the baptism . . .

In relation to the wonderful blessing of the **Sacrament of Baptism **. . . the below is an explanation of the . . . Action and Wonderful Saving Blessing of God through Baptism. . . in the little ones life . . . which will occur through your following through with baptizing the tiny little one in your care . . .

Catechism of the Catholic Church
**[size=]Article 10
[/size]**I Believe in the Forgiveness of Sins

I. One Baptism for the Forgiveness of Sins

**Section 977 **
Our Lord tied the forgiveness of sins to faith and Baptism: "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved."521 Baptism is the first and chief sacrament of forgiveness of sins because it unites us with Christ, who died for our sins and rose for our justification, so that "we too might walk in newness of life."522

**Section 978 **
"When we made our first profession of faith while receiving the holy Baptism that cleansed us, the forgiveness we received then was so **full and complete **that there remained in us absolutely nothing left to efface, neither original sin nor offenses committed by our own will, nor was there left any penalty to suffer in order to expiate them. . . . Yet the grace of Baptism delivers no one from all the weakness of nature. On the contrary, we must still combat the movements of concupiscence that never cease leading us into evil."523

What a marvelous blessing for this little one’s life . . . ! . . .and this blessing of the deeply **pray:gopray2:erful ****Sacrament of Baptism and pra:gopray2:yers lifted up for this little one are all eternal gifts of God for this little child . . . not subject to either time or space . . . and will be answered and fruitful . . . and . . . God . . . always . . . takes care of His own . . . Our . . . Omnipotnent Omnipresent Lord . . . ** is not the least limited in ability or desire to protect this little soul . . . and place in this important precious child’s life times and places where the seeds of the Gospel and Faith can be planted abundantly so that they can bear rich fruit when the child reaches the age of reason . . .

When requesting the baptism you might take along a copy of this particular **Code of Canon Law **re an abandoned infant which applies in this instance . . . *sometimes a priest may not be fully acquainted with this particular Code . . . *

God’s sweetest blessings to you all . . .
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . Holy Spirit of our God, Guide and Direct+
. . . Holy Mother cover this little one with Thy Holy Mantle+
:signofcross:
[/RIGHT]

If in doubt, baptize. Don’t listen to lawyers, don’t worry about technicalities, “laws and guidelines”…

Listen to Jesus; "but Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” (Mt 19:14)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

• Just be sure that the baptism is “licit” . . . *only in the case of necessity *(imminent death for example) . . . * can persons other than those officials designated in the Canons below baptize *. . . otherwise the following Canon Law Canons are binding on the administration of the **Sacrament of Baptism **. . .

Code of Canon Law

**BOOK IVFUNCTION OF THE CHURCH (Cann. 834 - 848)
PART I. THE SACRAMENTS
TITLE I. BAPTISM (Cann. 849 - 878)
CHAPTER II. THE MINISTER OF BAPTISM

CHAPTER II.

THE MINISTER OF BAPTISM**

Can. 861 §1. The ordinary minister of baptism is a bishop, a presbyter, or a deacon, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 530, n. 1.

§2. When an ordinary minister is absent or impeded, a catechist or another person designated for this function by the local ordinary, or in a case of necessity any person with the right intention, confers baptism licitly. Pastors of souls, especially the pastor of a parish, are to be concerned that the Christian faithful are taught the correct way to baptize.

Can. 862 Except in a case of necessity, no one is permitted to confer baptism in the territory of another without the required permission, not even upon his own subjects.

Can. 863 The baptism of adults, at least of those who have completed their fourteenth year, is to be deferred to the diocesan bishop so that he himself administers it if he has judged it Expedient.

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+[/RIGHT]

Thanks for your all replies! :slight_smile:
Since we are only the child’s temporary custodians, and it is very likely that she will be adopted (but most likely by non-Catholics), I don’t think we can have a “reasonable” hope that she will be raised Catholic. So I am more inclined now to not have her baptized right now and wait and see how the situation develops. If she is adopted within the next couple of years, then it will be the responsibility of her new parents, and all we can do is to pray. If not, then I think we should certainly have her baptized. But we’ll see what our pastor tells us.

P.S. I’m not sure she qualifies as an “abandoned child” in its “classical” understanding. Her parents (at least mother) are known, and her mother didn’t leave her on somebody’s doorstep or something. But I will certainly mention it our priest when we talk to him.

Regardless of what transpires as to Baptismal, it is quite a wonderful thing you have opened up your hearts and home to care for this newborn. I’m sure the Lord will bless you for it and he will provide the lifetime parents for this person who have similar caring Christian attitudes. It’s not all about Catholic or Jewish, Protestant or Muslim. It’s about our basic faith in the future and giving this baby some hope in life.

I can see the OP point about the importance of baptism but as an adoptive parent I see it a bit differently. My husband and I had to wait about 9 months to baptize our son (once the adoption order was granted and we were able to get a birth certificate). My son’s baptism was one of our most special days as a family. I would have been pretty upset if I had found out the foster family he was placed with before us had him baptized. Esp. if they weren’t catholic(yes I know the Church will recognise other baptisms). You assume the potential adoptive parents won’t be Catholic but you don’t know it. Just my feelings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.