Barack Obama celebrates Diwali at White House

Washington: U.S President Barack Obama celebrated Diwali on Thursday by lighting the ceremonial lamp at the White House amidst chanting of Vedic mantras seeking world peace. He is the first U.S. President to personally grace the occasion.

“I think it’s fitting that we begin this work in the week leading up to the holiday of Diwali — the festival of lights — when members of some of the world’s greatest faiths celebrate the triumph of good over evil,” Mr. Obama said at the function held at the historic East Room.

“This coming Saturday, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and some Buddhists, here in America and around the world, will celebrate this holiday by lighting ‘diyas,’ or lamps, which symbolise the victory of light over darkness, and knowledge over ignorance,” Mr. Obama said.

Among those present on the occasion were several eminent members of the Indian community, nearly half-a-dozen members of Mr. Obama’s Cabinet and several Indian-American members of his administration. “While this is a time of rejoicing, it’s also a time for reflection, when we remember those who are less fortunate and renew our commitment to reach out to those in need,” Mr. Obama said, minutes before lighting the lamp while Pandit Narayanacharya Digalakote from the Sri Shiva Vishnu temple chanted Vedic mantras.

Read more: hindu.com/2009/10/16/stories/2009101650070100.htm

Very good. Having the President recognize their religious holiday must be inspirational for US Hindus, Sikhs and Jains. And I suspect that the gesture will play well in India, as well.

Obama is wiling to go out of his way to please everybody.

Unless you’re a conservative, a pro-lifer, an advocate of traditional marriage, or a birther. If that’s the case, as far as he’s concerned, you can go to hades and twist in the wind.

but he didn’t want to do anything for the national day of prayer in our country. :confused:

Is the national day of prayer a traditional religious holiday? If he didn’t celebrate Easter, or Christmas, I could see that being problematic.

Secular ecumenism. That’s about the best we can expect from the leaders of the West these days. As a politician, Obama’s doing whatever he can to promote peaceful international relations. Good for him. Why do I say this? Because that’s all that he CAN do as someone who presumes to represent the collective opinions of all Americans.

If we Catholics want MORE, we should simply stop looking for secular politicians to “lead” the way. Politicians aren’t leaders, they’re followers. They’re like corporations; they just give us more of what they think we want. And they TELL us what we want with their own marketing campaigns. If we are disappointed with our politicians, it’s only because we ought to be disappointed with the lack of public knowledge about the Good News of Jesus Christ and His Church… and the only people we can blame for that is ourselves.

So let us get our act together. We are offering the world The Way to Eternal Life. Jesus Christ is our underwriter, St. Peter is our corporate founder, Benedict XVI is our CEO, and Mary and the Saints are coaching our sales team. So turn off the TV and let’s go to work.:thumbsup:

Yeah, but no nativity at the Capital this Christmas.

he celebrated Easter with an Easter egg hunt last spring. we will see what happens this Christmas and what he says about Christians.

no, the national day of prayer is not a holiday. however, he chose not to do anything on the national day of prayer this past year.

That was merely a photo-op for Comrade Obama to show how diverse he is—he invited a group of “homosexual families” so he could be seen with them and strenghten his base amongst the fringe elements out there.

Too bad he didn’t decide to attend a Christian church and celebrate what Easter is really all about: the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I know it’s shocking for all the libs out there, but Easter really doesn’t have anything to do with bunnies and eggs and plastic grass.

:thumbsup: i don’t remember Obama making a statement about what Easter means to Christians as he explained what Diwali celebration is about. you are right, he used the Easter egg hunt it as a photo - op to promote his agenda with homosexuals.

And who wants to bet he will not be singing any Christmas Carols or celebrating the Birth of Jesus in a display at the WH!

Diwali? I thought he said the U.S. was a Muslim nation???

Nope, he said it is not a Christian Nation! The arrogance of that statement just slays me!

There is no arrogance. He has been misquoted.

He said that the US, whatever its origins, is no longer just a Christian nation. It is also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.
factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_obama_say_we_are_no_longer.html

i doubt if he will be highlighting any christian beliefs as he likes to highlight beliefs of other religions.

Memory is the mother of all wisdom
– Samuel Johnson

From Obama’s weekly radio address, April 11:
“Tomorrow, Christians of all denominations will come together to rejoice and remember the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

good for him. i guess after not participating in the nation day of prayer, and receiving criticism, he felt he should say something.

Boy I’ve never seen such a bunch of downers, can’t you let the Prez try to celebrate a little Dilwali? The traditional airing of grievances, the Dilwali meal followed by the “Feats of Strength.” Last year we wrestled my Dad to the floor and had him pinned for 2 minutes, a new Dilwali record.

And all you guys can moan about is how you don’t get nativity scenes at the Capital anymore…You know how hard it is to find a virgin in Washington these days? You need some understanding here.

C’mon Happy Dilwali!!! It’s Hindu-Ordu for Festivus, for cryin’ out loud. Didn’t you see Obama with the pole?

dj

Maybe that’s why this nation seems to be collapsing around us…because Christ won’t take a back seat to Mohammad (who he created) or Buddah (who he created) or a host of pagan gods (who man created)…Oh btw…changing the subject from arrogance to hypocrisy, did Obama make a big show of celebrating Diwali last year during the campain, when he was claiming to be a Christian while trying to distance himself from “Reverend” Wright?

As president, Obama has a public role, and responsibility, that he did not have as a candidate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.