'Barbarities’: Ecuador’s president castigates ‘absurd’ and ‘dangerous’ gender ideology

’Barbarities’: Ecuador’s president castigates ‘absurd’ and ‘dangerous’ gender ideology
lifesitenews.com/news/barbarities-ecuadors-president-castigates-absurd-and-dangerous-gender-ideol?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5d4690ee8f-LifeSiteNews_com_US_Headlines_06_19_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0caba610ac-5d4690ee8f-326231002

In his last public address of 2013, Ecuador’s left wing president, Rafael Correa criticized gender ideology, calling it “absurd” and “very dangerous.”

“That natural men and women don’t exist, that biological sex does not determine man or woman, but ‘social conditions’ do, and that one has a right to choose if one is a man or a woman. Please! Come on! This won’t live up even to a minor analysis!” exclaimed the president.

“These are not theories,” he continued, “but pure and simple ideologies.”

If only U.S. politicians were so forthright, rather than being so intimidated by political correctness.

A few major corrections. First, this guy is lucky the world isn’t flat after all because if he took one more step to the right he’d fall off the edge. He’s like a tea party activist on steroids. Second, the man is a bonafide homophobe. He frequently uses derogatory slurs when talking about the gay community.

Did you read the whole article?

MJ

Good for him, and for Ecuador! :thumbsup: He sounds like a very balanced individual.

Given Ecuador’s help for Assange and Snowden, I had a positive impression of them. This however deepens that, as the mere act of speaking truth in this age is dangerous…see also Assange and Snowden.

A few major corrections. First, this guy is lucky the world isn’t flat after all because if he took one more step to the right he’d fall off the edge. He’s like a tea party activist on steroids. Second, the man is a bonafide homophobe. He frequently uses derogatory slurs when talking about the gay community.

So what, specifically, are you correcting him about? Your post doesn’t address anything he said. I can’t see any point to it other than an unsourced ad hominem attack against him.

In his last public address of 2013, Ecuador’s left wing president, Rafael Correa criticized gender ideology, calling it “absurd” and “very dangerous.”

“That natural men and women don’t exist, that biological sex does not determine man or woman, but ‘social conditions’ do, and that one has a right to choose if one is a man or a woman. Please! Come on! This won’t live up even to a minor analysis!” exclaimed the president.

“These are not theories,” he continued, “but pure and simple ideologies.”

If this is the left wing in Ecuador maybe sanity is beginning to return to the Americas.

Maybe the Pope Francis effect is migrating northward and will soon be here in the US. :wink:

I take it Mr. Correa was not speaking of people with birth anomalies such as the very few people who are born with sex organs from more than one sex … and might choose to explore operations that would help them fit in more both with the society around them and with whatever feelings were dominant within them at and after puberty.

Remaining*** “as God made them” ***isn’t always the best option in all cases. One born blind might have an operation to be able to see – and not degrade other blind people for instance (in my opinion).

Perhaps closer to my example (of a person born hermaphrodite) might be that of a siamese twin with a good chance of surviving a separation operation. Doing it or not doing it should carry no stigma per what a Catholic might think of him/her/them as God loves him/her/them and has a plan for them. Including making decisions per free will. Sacrificing oneself through their own free will etc.

Correa’s defining the issue otherwise, as an ideology rather than a theory (without giving details on any particular cases like I did) – and one that is destructive to society in his opinion – appears to be critical of the movement toward “sexual reassignment”.

Every time I hear that term, “sexual RE-assignment”, I do think of who did the initial assigning and the fact that some people look to oppose God wherever and whenever they can. That of course is not*** everyone.***

I agree with Correa on this much: there is a large and visible movement, that seems to be able to get as much (positive) press as it wants, to press a proliferation of sex change operations as a lifestyle.

His critique, while using definitive language in opposition to this currently growing practice, qualifies in careful defensive language that he is attacking the edges of the problem.

Are there those who actually propose that there is no such thing as:

– That natural men and women don’t exist (?)

– That biological sex does not determine man or woman (but social conditions do) (?)

Well I’m glad there is some push back somewhere to this sociological crazy train.

These days if someone speaks at too loud a decibel level – they might be compelled to have to take a remedial, court or employer ordered course in “Anger Management”.

And most of us have been loud at some time. :blushing:

And not so long ago someone expressing a desire to change their sex cosmetically would be recommended for psychoanalysis for their problem.

And these radical, irreversible procedures being lightly undertaken have led to unforeseen consequences.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2440086/Belgian-transsexual-Nathan-Verhelst-44-elects-die-euthanasia-botched-sex-change-operation.html

[size=]Headline: Transsexual, 44, elects to die by euthanasia after
botched sex-change operation turned him into a ‘monster’

actually this was a female - to - male botched attempt. Her/his next choice was euthanasia. In my opinion counseling this person before her big mistake would NOT have been “judgemental” or “trans-phobic” or any other intimidating PC term ideologues might apply.

With a “left wing” world leader lambasting it;

pundits like Rush Limbaugh dismissing the practice as silly (via his hilarious names for the “procedures”),

and the edgy mass media cartoon program “South Park*” going further than either the politician or the pundit in demonstrating the bizarre consequences of cosmetic elective sex change operations via its ridiculously warped Mr./Mrs. Garrison character (an elementary schoolteacher who additionally has an alter ego that is a hand puppet);

there seems to be enough criticism from all quarters to keep this societal novelty from being accepted lightly without examination in a PC way. I hope.

**** I’d have posted a picture of the Garrison character here, but South Park is a guilty pleasure I’ve given up … to my spiritual benefit … as it’s popular “edginess” deliberately goes too far … and can’t seem to slam a sin without glorifying two others at times. ***:banghead:[/size]

:thumbsup::):bounce::yup::clapping: Ecuador!

President Rafael Correa!

His classification as “left wing” and his own statement that he respects LGBT individuals as persons. His policies and actions have been very right wing oriented and his repeated use of derogatory slurs, in public statements and debates, to describe LGBT individuals prove that he is neither left wing or respects LGBT individuals as persons.

Since when have LGBT individuals become “non-persons?” It is a little “out there” to claim that because someone disagrees with an LGBT individual regarding their self-appellation as “gay” that they thereby have made a determination that that person is NOT a “person” and should not be respected as such.

That I disagree with a crack addict concerning his propensity for the drug and have concluded that his behaviour is not optimal, does not imply I no longer view or respect him as a “person.”

Sorry, not buying that cultural “hallucinogen.”

If you repeatedly use derogatory slurs to describe people then you do not respect them as persons.

Certainly, but appropriate action should be taken to remedy the behaviour of the person who slurs, the remedy is NOT to attach special privileges to the behaviour of the person being slurred.

If a thief steals money and is therefore treated in an inhumane or derogatory fashion, that is not warrant to condone robbing in order to accord additional respect to the person who steals. It doesn’t make stealing right just because thieves are or have been treated poorly. Nor because they have some special attachment or “orientation” to their lifestyle.

A kleptomaniac should not be respected because of his tendency to steal, but because he is a person, his proclivity notwithstanding. Likewise, the fact that homosexuals have been treated poorly in the past is completely irrelevant to a determination of whether homosexuality is acceptable. This is a fallacious appeal to pity.

Originally Posted by EmperorNapoleon
If you repeatedly use derogatory slurs to describe people then you do not respect them as persons.

And an example of the President’s “derogatory slurs” is…?

I like what Correa told the US government when he refused to let the USAF renew there lease for Manta Air Base "“We can negotiate with the U.S. about a base in Manta, if they let us put a military base in Miami”.

Hey, hey, he recognized homosexuals as persons; what do you want??

:shrug::slight_smile:

Is it a bad translation or is he confusing homosexuality with transgenderism? A gay man is still a man and his gender is male. He doesn’t “choose” to be a girl on a whim, he is a man who is attracted to other men.

Sounds like the rantings of a mad man to me.

Sex, not gender. Gender is a grammatical term relating to the endings of nouns. Sex is a biological term for the physical makeup of human beings and animals.

So are you in opposition to Bl. John Paul II using the term “gendered” to describe our glorified bodies in the Theology of the Body?

TEA PARTY activists don’t think the world is flat! :mad:

That’s just more left-wing koolaid because they can’t win on facts. :smiley:

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.