Barbers don't exist!

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed.
As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.
When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said:
“I don’t believe that God exists…”
“Why do you say that?” asked the customer.
"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn’t exist. Tell me, if God exists , would there be so many sick people?
Would there be abandoned children?
If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain.
I can’t imagine loving a God who would allow all of these things."
The customer thought for a moment, but didn’t respond because he didn’t want to start an argument.
The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop.
Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkept.
The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber:
“You know what? Barbers do not exist.”
“How can you say that?” asked the surprised barber. “I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!”

"No!! " the customer exclaimed. “Barbers don’t exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside.”
“Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me.”
“Exactly!” affirmed the customer. "That’s the point!
God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is, people don’t go to Him and do not look for Him. That’s why there’s so much pain and suffering in the world."
This is one of the best explanations of why God allows pain and suffering that I have seen. It’s an explanation other people will understand.
If you KNOW God exists, send this to other people—
If you think God doesn’t exist, then just delete it!
"Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you’re not willing to move your feet

But is it an argument that proves that necessarily only one barber exists who is simultaneously providing hair care to everyone over the globe at the same time rather than multiple barbers who are not necessarily identical to the one the man encountered or are all just facets of the one barber? That if these other barbers exist, it would be reasonable to expect that they all provided exactly the same services for exactly the same prices and in exactly the same way?

If there are barbers, why are there people with dirty, unkept hair? Well, cuz barbers don’t exist!

The point of the story is that how can a person know if God exists if a person doesn’t look for Him.

They don’t exist in some islamic countries where they are threatened with death for shaving beards.

You’re a priest, right? Do you ever talk about anything other than Islam? I can only imagnie what responses a thread on cookie dough would elicit.

I hate to break it to you, but barbers don’t create hair. There was hair before there were barbers. If you aren’t bothered by your hair, then you don’t have it cut, and you’re missing exactly nothing. You have nothing to be upset about. Unless you’re trying to say that we existed before God, and that people who don’t come to God enjoy their suffering, then I don’t see your point.

Valke, sure I post on other threads too. But as much as I dislike the mormon church they aren’t trying to kill me. Some cults are more dangerous then others.

ok. But this thread wasn’t about Islam. It was about a metaphor to argue the existence of God.

I for one found this story amazing in its simplicity and ease of understanding. And I understand the point being made.:thumbsup:

A little tweeking of the players in the story and I can tell this to my 13 year old son who is pulling away from faith in God:(

Valke, think about you just wrote, and then think about your personal belief about Jesus…

still thinking. Not getting it.

Jesus does not exist in the same context…

ok. I understand the argument can be applied toward God, toward Jesus, or toward Allah.

Of course, a barber is not intersted in cutting everyone’s hair. Only paying customers. The reason the man with dirty long hair hasn’t had it cut is because he didn’t pay the barber.

Paying God/Jesus/Allah etc. in the coin of priase or obedience or love does not guranty you a life free of the most horrid miseries. In that sense, the barber is more honest. He delivers what one pays for.

Without looking for explanations as to why God’s love is no guaranty of safety, I think we have to acknowledge that all safety is an illusion. There can be no physical safety in this world. And so, if God is going to be relevant in our lives, it must be for some other reason.

Excellent post. Too often folks turn the deity(ies) of any religion into a simplistic cosmic vending machine–input prayer/proper behavior, output desired effect. To believe that a being superior enough to us to be worthy of worship is that easily manipulated or easily explained is a fantasy, not a religion.

Great post cathgal

and excellent observation Valke

I think that the analogy is imperfect (God is more complex than a barber), but still raises an excellent point, which I think you miss. The analogy is trying to point out that there is suffering an pain and anxiety and hatred because people have turned away from God. This does not imply that if we accept God, we will be immune from evil. It simply means that those people who cause these ills (poverty, war, etc.) have turned away from God. They have failed to look for and reflect His truth.

This means that humanity must collectively return to God if these evils are to be eliminated. It’s actually quite a good explanation for a difficult problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.