Bare Bones Christian?

What are the necessities for belief of a Christian (regardless of denomination)?

Like they must accept what in order for you to call them a Christian at the most base level?

Thanks!

The bare minimum required is to completely abandon one’s will for God’s will.

In order to be called “Christian” they must at least believe in the Holy Trinity as one God in three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and have a valid trinitarian baptism.

[quote=Matt16_18]The bare minimum required is to completely abandon one’s will for God’s will.
[/quote]

I think you’ll find not 1 in 10,000 people will even be bare minimum Christians in that case. :wink:

With all due respect to the OP…

I always hesitate to answer questions like this because I don’t want to encourage anyone to practice a “minimalist” Christianity. I don’t think it’s pleasing to God to have children who are only interested in doing enough to get by.

[quote=Ianjo99]What are the necessities for belief of a Christian (regardless of denomination)?

Like they must accept what in order for you to call them a Christian at the most base level?

Thanks!
[/quote]

See the Creed.

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son].
With the Father and the Son
he is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. AMEN.

Thanks, though my intent wasn’t to make it appear I wanted the minimal requirements for myself.

I got into an discussion (argument, really) with some random Protestants over something one of my friends posted eariler.

They asked me my view on what a “Christian” is. I said something to the extent of Baptism and Believing in God & Jesus (simplified I know). I then said that for a CATHOLIC, i would only consider them thus if they believed the Apostle’s Creed (I think I meant Nicene Creed, though).

As for me, I am a fully fledged Catholic. I believe in everything the Nicene Creed states.

I really shouldn’t have gotten into the argument, paritally because my side was a bit wrong. Oh well, too late now, I suppose.

[quote=E.E.N.S.]I think you’ll find not 1 in 10,000 people will even be bare minimum Christians in that case. :wink:
[/quote]

A Christian is a follower of Christ. If one is following his own will, and not the will of the Lord, one can hardly claim he is following Christ, can he? :wink:

You might want to take a look at C.S. Lewis’ book:

Mere Christianity.

Best,

reen12

I think the Christian [follower of Christ] is the person Christ says walks the extra mile voluntarily. Someone who sets out from the start to do only the bare bones would not qualify, but would rather be like the servant who buried the money out of fear of The Master, hhmm and who was cast out or deprived of his money because of that. But maybe I’m mixing parables…

Ianjo99,

I sent you a response about Objectivism via private message—I’m not sure the function is working. Did you receive my message?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.