Baronius Press Launches Knox Bible today

From the website of Baronius Press:

http://www.baroniuspress.com/upimages/60-215.jpg

**Available for the first time in more than fifty years

Msgr. Knox’s translation of the Latin Vulgate into elegant, timeless English is one of the greatest treasures of the 20th century Church. His translation is spiritual and literary, graceful and lyrical, making it one of the most beautiful vernacular versions of the Holy Bible.

An excerpt from Baronius Press’ press release. (Full text can be found here: baroniuspress.com/index.php?wid=50)::slight_smile:

London, UK, October 15, 2012

Baronius Press, a publisher of fine Catholic books, today announced the launch of the Holy Bible – Knox Version (also known as the Knox Bible) for the first time in more than 50 years, stating that the translation’s clarity and beauty will help Catholics deepen their knowledge of scripture in the Year of Faith, which began on the 11th October.

Welcoming the return of the Bible, the UK’s Cardinal Cormac Murphy O’Connor said: “I welcome the publication of this new edition, as his remarkable work is likely to continue to be of interest for many years to come. I sincerely hope that many will read and profit from this new edition.”

The translation was described as “a masterful translation of the Bible” by Time Magazine and was the first vernacular version to be approved for liturgical use in the 20th Century.

In his introduction to the new Baronius Press edition Dr. Scott Hahn writes: “Knox had a profound love for Sacred Scripture, a passion to make the Bible accessible to as many people as possible.”

As part of the republication of the Knox Bible, Baronius Press has worked with Biblegateway.com – the world’s most visited Christian website with ten million unique visitors each month to allow free access to a searchable text of Monsignor Knox’s translation. Rachel Barach of Biblegateway.com said: “As BibleGateway.com seeks to encourage Bible reading and Scriptural understanding among Bible readers of all denominations, we are delighted to be able to share the Knox translation on our website.”

Baronius Press and the Knox Bible will feature on EWTN Bookmark at the following times:

**EWTN Bookmark airs on TV **
4th November Sun., 9:30 a.m. (debut) & 11:30 p.m.
5th November Mon., 5:00 a.m
7th November Wed., 5:30 p.m.

EWTN Bookmark airs on Radio
EWTN Radio and Sirius 130
3rd November Sat., 4:30 p.m. (debut)
4th November Sun., 9:30 a.m

ALL TIMES EASTERN (EST)

ABOUT THE KNOX BIBLE

Monsignor Ronald Knox was commissioned in 1939 by the Bishops of England and Wales to produce a fresh translation of the Holy Scripture and, for the next nine years, he worked alone to achieve this task. He used Pope Clement VIII’s edition of the Latin Vulgate as a base for his translation, diligently comparing it to Greek, Hebrew, Syriac and Chaldean manuscripts to determine the meaning of ambiguous passages.

He aimed at a Bible that was understandable to modern audiences and yet rooted in Catholic tradition and “written in timeless English”. He wanted a Bible that did not merely translate the original but made it read as if an Englishman had written it.

Knox’s Bible received great acclaim when it was first published. Even the Archbishop of Canterbury of the time recommended it, and it became the preferred translation of Fulton Sheen. The Bishops were so pleased with the completed version that it was authorized for liturgical use, and the Knox translation of the Bible was used as the official version in the churches of Great Britain, Ireland and Australia for the decade leading up to Vatican II – and the first version sanctioned for liturgical use in England and Wales.

Available today from Baronius Press (www.baroniuspress.com) in a hardback leather edition with gold gilded edges, two ribbons and a complimentary copy of “On Englishing the Bible” in which Msgr. Knox describes himself how he tackled this mammoth project…

I’ve done a search, but can’t find it on Amazon.:shrug:

It’s been launched only a few hours and is currently available through the website of Baronius Press (baroniuspress.com). It will be available on many other Catholic bookstores in the coming days and weeks.

Sounds interesting! Very big fan of Fulton Sheen!!! So if it has his approval, then :thumbsup:

But I would still have to see it. I’m not down with most vernacular Bibles.

:eek:

Even though Baronius Press is based in the UK, they must have an affiliate in the US. According to the shipping data, the book would arrive in 2-10 days by USPS or 1-5 business days via UPS.
baroniuspress.com/shopping_basket.php?action=add&bid=60&back=L2NhdGVnb3J5LnBocD93aWQ9NTgmY2lkPTE=

I’ve been waiting for this for some time. By all accounts, it is a beautiful translation and may serve well for Lectio Divina.

Peace,

Is there a place to see specific verses?

My “test verses” are

John 1: 1-5

Phil 2: 6-11

Not that I know of. There was a review on amazon a while back that had some psalms used in Compline and discussed the beauty of praying those psalms, but I can’t seem to find it anymore.

Peace,

Thank you for trying, Jason. :thumbsup:

No worries.

Found it:

veritasbible.com/knox_bible_2011

:slight_smile:

John 1 is a tad clunky :frowning:

Phil 2 is quite nice:)

I have an old (but good shape) hard cover of Msgr. Knox’ New Testament. It is quite colloquial, nuch more so than its Douay Rheims source. The way it reads, to me, is along the dynamic equivalence lines of the Jerusalem Bible (not the NEW Jerusalem Bible) or the New English Bible (another of Blessed Sheen’s favorites).

It’s a single column text block and very easy to digest. I would think it would go well with Lectio Divina although I generally employ the RSV-CE for that prayer.

I have the Baronius D-R-C and it is a nice product, I presume this is equal. My jury is out on whether I can convince myself to send another 55 to jollie olde England!

That is not the same one, just so you know. That is what is referred to as the “Modern English Update to the Knox Bible”. Sometimes, it is just called the “you version” I suppose in reference to replacing “thee” and “thou” with “you” in the text. I am unsure if any other changes were made, or what they might have been.

Peace,

Ahhh, OK. Thanks for the clarification, Jason. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Is there anywhere online that has the proper Knox available. I assumed that one was ok.

I don’t know, but I don’t think so. That version is the same except for the “you” changes.

Peace,

It is now on BibleGateway.com. biblegateway.com/versions/Knox-Bible/

What are people’s thoughts on the use of the word “vault” throughout Genesis 1? It is my understanding that the Jerusalem Bible uses the same word. When I read the creation account in 1 Genesis, I find it beautiful, but the word “vault” seems to throw me for some reason.

What’s wrong with “vault”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.