Barrage of rockets launched at Israel from Gaza after cease-fire expires, Israeli military says

Gaza militants have fired a barrage of at least five rockets at southern Israel shortly after a three-day truce between Israel and Hamas expired, the Israeli military said early Friday.

foxnews.com/world/2014/08/07/rockets-fired-from-gaza-into-israel-idf-says/

This is really sad. I had been clinging to a small string of hope that the cease fire would be extended and end in a truce with some lasting peace but I guess that’s not what was meant to be in this case.

I really hope and pray that Israel and Hamas can quit fighting soon. Our Catholic brothers and sisters in Gaza are facing very serious problems because of this. There are also countless Muslims who are victims of violence as well. I seriously doubt that every single Muslim in Gaza supports this war.

Me too. Peace is needed.

A site for viewers to visit, like and share-Catholics Boycotting Israel.
pridecomethbeforeafall.wordpress.com/category/cbi-christians-boycotting-israel/

Remember too that things are not often what they seem. Israel is known for false flag attacks, a history of them including the Lavon Affair, The King David Hotel bombing and the USS Liberty attack. Research all 3.
If Israel wants more war which it does due to the Natural gas discovery off of Gaza, it simply has intel officers dressed liked Palestinians and launches rockets at Israel.

Praying to Our Lady Queen of Peace.

Sad but not surprising in the least.

It is very sad, but I doubt there will be peace there. this is not a conventional war. The enemies of Israel admittedly want to destroy Israel, period They do not care if they and their families die trying. In other words, I doubt there will be any peace, unless Israel finally gets to the point where it just obliterates them. Then, who knows, perhaps other Arab states would attack Israel. Just what we need, a nuclear war in the Middle East. Sad, sad indeed! :frowning:

Netanyahu once said that if the Arabs lay down their arms there would be no more war, but if Israel lays down its arms there would be no more Israel.

I am inclined to agree.

This wouldn’t be the first time Netanyahu made racist anti-Arab comments (Arabs are inherently warlike?) nor is he the only Israeli official to do so.

Oh, for crying out loud, do you not understand how language works? Would you be amazed if I said Baltimore won the Super Bowl, thinking every Baltimorean was on the field? Do you honestly believe that every single blonde has more fun than every single brunette?

The current conflict Gaza v. Israel is the result of the Israeli government.

The current conflict is the result of people not willing to respect each other as human beings with dignity, of seeing the lives of fellow human beings as being of less worth and value than the lives of the people they view as their own kind.

The killing of any innocent human being, either where this is the prime intention, or where it is a reasonably foreseen likely outcome, is an evil act.

Both sides are very wrong, but in terms of harm done, it is hard to see how the killing of 1,900 innocent civilians and the destruction of all the possessions of many more people than this, can be justified (as Mr Netanyahu has claimed).

There is a substantial number of Israeli citizens who are Moslem and Christian Palestinians.

The Arab nations all kicked the Jews in their nations out.

Hamas’s stated aim is to eradicate the nation of Israel.

Who is not respecting whom?

The killing of any innocent human being, either where this is the prime intention, or where it is a reasonably foreseen likely outcome, is an evil act.

Hamas aims its rockets at Israeli civilian targets.

Israel has always worked to minimize civilian causualties.

Israel buolds bomb shelters for its citizens; Hamas endangers its citizens by placing its rocket launchers around schools and other places people congregate, like shelters.

Israel agrees to and abides by ceasefires; Hamas doesn’t agree to them and breaks them.

Both sides are very wrong, but in terms of harm done, it is hard to see how the killing of 1,900 innocent civilians and the destruction of all the possessions of many more people than this, can be justified (as Mr Netanyahu has claimed).

It is true that there are more Palestinian civilians than Israeli, but not for lack of trying on the part of Hamas. Consider this: how may civilians deaths does Hamas want? How many does Israel want?

The inequality of results *is the fault of Hamas. *

I think I do know self-serving racist comments when I hear them. Netanyahu (“if the Arabs lay down their arms there would be no war”) or Golda Meir (“there will be peace when the Palestinians learn to love their children more than they hate Jews”) are just two examples among many others too numerous to quote.

[quote=StFrancis]Would you be amazed if I said Baltimore won the Super Bowl, thinking every Baltimorean was on the field? Do you honestly believe that every single blonde has more fun than every single brunette?
[/quote]

That’s interesting because that is exactly how the Israelis think about the people of Gaza. It’s the basis for the collective punishment they are inflicting. From the retired Israeli general who said there are no civilians in Gaza to the Knesset member who called for emptying out Gaza and putting the inhabitants in “tent camps” (i.e., concentration camps), the attitude of the Israelis seems to be akin to believing “every Baltimorean was on the field when Baltimore won the Super Bowl” as you put it.

So Hamas has dropped their stated goal of eliminating Israel?

And what about the fact that those in charge of the “Occupied Territories,” the most recent of whom were *voted in *by the residents of Gaza, have as their stated aim eliminating Israel? Hamas, et al, don’t blame themselves or the surrounding Arab nations for their problems–they blame the Jews. Anti-semitism?

And in this case, yes, Netenyahu is right. This is easy to discover if one considers the intents and actions and statements of those involved. The Israelis got tired of suicide bombers attacking their civilian populations and put up a wall, limiting access to Israel. Hamas built tunnels… and so on and so forth.

or Golda Meir (“there will be peace when the Palestinians learn to love their children more than they hate Jews”) are just two examples among many others too numerous to quote.

Hamas leaders put children in danger when they launch from schools and shelters. And the Palestinians they are supposed to care for and protect, what are they doing?

I am sure every parent who loses a child due to Hamas’s action feels a terrible loss. But they offer up their loss to the cause… not all of them but a sufficient number. On another thread, I posted a video of a woman who said this. I have also seen videos of elementary school children pulling the trigger on a rocket launcher, and rockets being launched from a school and from less than a block away from a UN building in Gaza. Nine children playing in a playground were killled by a mis-fired rocket of Hamas’.

That’s interesting because that is exactly how the Israelis think about the people of Gaza. It’s the basis for the collective punishment they are inflicting. From the retired Israeli general who said there are no civilians in Gaza

And he says that because Hamas *says and acts *as if this were the case. Moreover, Hamas acts if the same were true about Israelis, since Hamas targets civilian areas.

to the Knesset member who called for emptying out Gaza and putting the inhabitants in “tent camps” (i.e., concentration camps), the attitude of the Israelis seems to be akin to believing “every Baltimorean was on the field when Baltimore won the Super Bowl” as you put it.

All the Palestinians, each and every one, however, is totally politically correct and never, ever, ever sat anything bad about the Jews collectively. And that little habit Hamas has of collectively punishing the Israelis? What’s up with that?

That the IDF works to avoid civilian casualties is a very debatable point considering that the vast majority of Palestinians killed in this conflict are innocent civilians, including many who were sheltering in UN designated shelters.

But nevertheless according to the teaching of the Church, the killing of any innocent human being where it is a reasonably foreseen likely outcome (even if this is not motivation or intention) that innocent people will be killed, is an evil act and unjustifiable. Unless you’re going to argue that the IDF really thought that it would be unlikely that there would be innocent civilians present in the UN schools where people were sheltering.

What do you expect? If an aggressor destroys everything you own and kills your child, you’re hardly going to think well of them. Bombing and killing people only makes them hate you more. Moderate Palestinian nationalists will be driven into the arms of Hamas through this action. You cannot beat hatred out of people.

This is not at all the case! One uses in this instance the principle of double effect: The act is proportionately necessary (take out rocket launchers, which are aimed at Israeli civilians, you may recall); the deaths of the civilians is an unfortunate corrollary to that.

And this corrollary exists *because Hamas places the rocket launchers in its own civilian areas. *Were Hamas to shoot from an open field, or an area they had cleared out before they started shooting, then the civilians would not be in harm’s way.

No hamas should be blame for this present conflict. A Saudi official even states that: “Hamas is responsible for the slaughter in the Gaza Strip following its bad decisions in the past, and the haughtiness it shows by firing useless rockets at Israel, which contribute nothing to the Palestinian interest. The Hamas rockets pose no threat to the Israeli occupation, even when they reach Tel Aviv.”

With the exception of the word “occupation” every part of his statement is spot on.

CCC 2309 " the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modem means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition."

1900 people killed by the IDF, the vast majority of whom are innocent civilians, and entire swathes of Gaza laid to waste. How many innocent Israeli civilians have been killed by Hamas in this conflict? I think it is 3.

The evils and disorders resulting from action from the IDF is many times greater than the evils and disorders caused by the Hamas rocket attacks.

Both sides are wrong, but Israel’s action is not a proportionate response, and fails the Church’s definition of justifiable military action.

In Northern Ireland the British Army did not bomb entire buildings to the ground if there was an IRA sniper shooting at them from that building. If the British Army had responded like the IDF then large sections of Belfast and Derry would be razed to the ground and the populations of these areas indiscriminately killed.

But why did those civilian Gazans die? They died *because Hamas launched rockets from their midst. *

Who is responsible for the Gazan civilians? *Hamas! *So when Hamas decides to launch rockets at a nation’s civilian populations from next door to a school, *who is responsible for the deaths? *

The fact that Israel actually takes care of its citizens is now being used against it. Oh, the irony!!! Israelis are safe because the IDF *makes it a priority. *Hence bomb shelters and the Iron Dome. As a result of Israel doing the righ thing and protecting its people, it is now criticized because so few of its people died! Would you be happier if the Israelis spent nothing to protect its own people so a few thousand could have been killed?

And the fact that Israel *does *protect its people means it does not have to respond to the continual rockets being shot at them by Hamas. They can ignore them, which they did for a few years.

The evils and disorders resulting from action from the IDF is many times greater than the evils and disorders caused by the Hamas rocket attacks.

Disorder also encompasses the attacking by Hamas. Just the attacks themselves are disordered, as is the intent. People launching deadly rockets from densely occupied spaces is disordered.

Having to live and raise children in a continual state of bombardment is also disordered, esp when the number of rockets launched increases so much.

Both sides are wrong, but Israel’s action is not a proportionate response, and fails the Church’s definition of justifiable military action.

The reason the response seems disproportionate is that. Hamas deliberately places its launchers in densely occupied spaces. If Hamas were to clear the areas of civilians, or chose unoccupied areas, then there would be few civilian deaths and it would not seem disproportionate to take out the rocket launchers. So the ploy of Hamas has worked.

In Northern Ireland the British Army did not bomb entire buildings to the ground if there was an IRA sniper shooting at them from that building. If the British Army had responded like the IDF then large sections of Belfast and Derry would be razed to the ground and the populations of these areas indiscriminately killed.

Possibly because the Israelis have learned from what the British went through in Operation Banner?

British Armed forces

722 deaths from paramilitary violence
719 deaths from other causes
6,100 injured

Paramilitary and civilian casualties (156) includes only those that were killed by the British Armed Forces.

IRA & related groups
127 dead

Ulster loyalist paramilitaries
14 dead

Shin Bet knew that hamas has these rocket arsenals, but is spread out on numerous launching sites. How you respond to this is beyond me but I will eliminate as many as I can by all means.

http://forums.catholic.com/Shin Bet knew that hamas has this rocket arsenals, but is spread out on numerous launching sites. How do you respond to this is beyond me but I will take as many as I can.

Right and they responded well. As I see it, the British were responding to Sniper fires. Unfortunately, the Israelis are responding to Rocket fires aim at their citizens.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.