Barren Fig Tree

I know, as Catholics, that were supposed to bare fruit.
The fruits of the Spirit are many…peace, patience, self control etc.

Jesus approached the tree, expecting figs.
The tree was very much alive,
roots strong in the ground,
branches covered with leaves…
And He cursed it - and it immediately withered away.

Does this mean, Jesus can “ pull the plug on us “ -
we being like the fig tree - without figs ?

Matthew 21:20 - I noticed - has an exclamation mark ! , at the end of the scripture.

The time we are given to produce fruit is indeed limited. We need to give an acccount of ourselves, either at our deaths or the second coming.

An interesting reading that I had not previously thought of. I usually think leaves imply fruit and it refers to having the externals of faith without true conversion of heart.

That is interesting, previously I thought it was about faith, ie that if we have strong faith we can achieve great things for Our Lord but looking at it again and reading the explanatory notes I see how, as often is the case, there are multiple levels of meaning and here He is also speaking of charitable works and possibly evangelising. Of us bearing fruits as you both say.

It makes me think that it’s worth bearing in mind that since we have been given the grace of faith we are beholden to God in many ways and our duty is to share and spread that faith in others at every opportunity.

I don’t think it was out of hunger - that Jesus got miffed -
but to show his patience - and severity -
Figs develop - before the leaves even start.
Fig trees - representative of what is sweet and precious …
It is also significant in my mind to note that whenever a tree is said to be punished
for producing no fruit or bad fruit is said to be CUT down, not withered.
The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit
will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
" ‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it.
If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’ "
Lastly, taking Jesus’ words “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”
certainly implies the tree has produced fruit in the past and people have eaten from it.

What exactly are these fruits anyway?

I belive it is doing God’s will which is loving God and Neighbor. We need grace to achieve fruits. Without grace, we are poor banished children of Eve.

Fertizlize fig trees in late winter. 5-10 lbs of 8-8-8 for a mature tree should do it.

in the Synoptics, think of Isaiah, chapter 5:

Let me now sing of my friend, my friend’s song concerning his vineyard.
My friend had a vineyard on a fertile hillside;
He spaded it, cleared it of stones, and planted the choicest vines;
Within it he built a watchtower, and hewed out a wine press.
Then he looked for the crop of grapes, but what it yielded was wild grapes.

Now, inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,
judge between me and my vineyard:
What more was there to do for my vineyard that I had not done?
Why, when I looked for the crop of grapes, did it bring forth wild grapes?
Now, I will let you know what I mean to do to my vineyard:
Take away its hedge, give it to grazing, break through its wall, let it be trampled!

Yes, I will make it a ruin: it shall not be pruned or hoed,
but overgrown with thorns and briers;
I will command the clouds not to send rain upon it.
The vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel,
and the men of Judah are his cherished plant;
He looked for judgment,
but see, bloodshed! for justice, but hark, the outcry!

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, temperance and faith.

Happy birthday - little lady :innocent: Caw !

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.