Basic question on preparation for Confirmation

Hi, Just a basic question:
For a child who is nine years old, who has had his or her First Holy Communion and is now aged nine and is preparing for Confirmation: What is the usual length of time for these classes before the child is Confirmed?
Thank you for any help on this.

In our parish, when our girls were in the eighth grade of the Catholic school, the entire year's religion curriculum centered around Confirmation preparation, as did the CCD classes. Confirmation was held in April of their eighth grade year, I believe.

Our girls had been chrismated as very young children, as their dad is Byzantine Catholic, which threw a monkey wrench into the works. ;) They did all the studying and community service and had some special function (I don't remember what, exactly) at the parish Confirmation Mass.

Interestingly, our archbishop has moved the age for Confirmation to 17, which I think is very late. I think he believes it will keep the kids in religious ed longer; I am not so sure.

[quote="Kathryn_Ann, post:1, topic:302530"]
Hi, Just a basic question:
For a child who is nine years old, who has had his or her First Holy Communion and is now aged nine and is preparing for Confirmation: What is the usual length of time for these classes before the child is Confirmed?

Thank you for any help on this.

[/quote]

It depends on the program used by the diocese and/or the parish. When we were doing both Confirmation and First Communion together, there were 6 sessions to the program before reception of the sacraments and 1 afterwards.

Different programs last as long as it takes (IOW, it could be a lot less for one child than it is for the other when it's a home program).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.