Basil the Great on Sola Scriptura

“If custom is to be taken in proof of what is right, then it is certainly competent for me to put forward on my side the custom which obtains here. If they reject this we are clearly not bound to follow them. Therefore, let God-inspired Scripture decide between us, and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the Word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth.”

Well, that pretty much proves it, doesn’t it? :hmmm:

Obviously, at least this one ECF believed in *sola scriptura. :whistle: *

Or is there more to Basil than this? :shrug:

Now I accept no newer creed written for me by other men, nor do I venture to propound the outcome of my own intelligence, lest I make the words of true religion merely human words; but what I have been taught by the holy Fathers, that I announce to all who question me. In my Church the creed written by the holy Fathers in synod at Nicea is in use." Basil, To the Church of Antioch, Epistle 140:2 (A.D. 373). (sourced: scripturecatholic.com/scripture_alone.html#scripture-III )

There is always “more than this” when discussing the fathers (oops I just called a man “father” :eek: ). What I find consistently in reading the fathers (did it again…the anti-scriptural Catholic that I am…:eek: ) is that they consistently reflect the supremacy of Scripture in the light of the knowledge and interpretation that has been handed to them from their predecessors.

Cherry picking quotes doesn’t really build a case for anything. Just as when St. Jerome is quoted as “rejecting” the deutero-canon…if the people quoting Jerome would only read a little further down, they find very plainly that St. Jerome puts aside his own opinion and concedes to the wisdom of the Church, but, having seen what they want to find, they take the liberty of rejecting historical reality and substituting their own.

Hardly! Take a little closer look at the full context of what he is saying at at the issues he was addressing here. It is whos traditions are in agreement with Scripture, not by ‘Scripture Alone’. Also, Don’t forget that the Canon of the New Testament is both a part of and a product of Sacred Tradition. One still has to have a correct interpretation of scripture. Sacred Tradition is also the only means of independently discerning the the correct interpretation of Scirpture.

Yours in Christ.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.