Basilica & cathedral what's the difference?

What is the difference between the two?

SamKato

[quote=SamKato]What is the difference between the two?

SamKato
[/quote]

Exploring Basilicas, Cathedrals, Shrines

Short answer…Basilica, cathedral and shrine are distinct terms, but not mutually exclusive. For instance, a basilica may be a shrine, and a cathedral may be a basilica.

But the article covers it in much clearer terms. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Hi Sam,

A cathedral is the church of a bishop, any church of any bishop. It can be large or small, gothic or not, just the church of a bishop.

A basilica is a church that has received this title from the Holy See as a special distinction among churches. A basilica is often a place of pilgrimage. Examples are St. Peter’s in Rome and St. Joseph’s Oratory in Montréal. (The pope’s cathedral, as bishop of Rome is St. John Lateran.) A church that receives the title of basilica is like a soldier that receives a medal.

A cathedral can also be a basilica. St. Joseph’s Cathedral Basilica in in San José CA is an example.

To give the title of “cathedral” to the glass mega-churches of TV preachers is about the most ridiculous thing to happen in the last few decades. These people could not tell a bishop from a rook.

Does this answer your question?

Verbum

Interesting to note: Saint Peter’s basilica in Rome is not the cathedral.

The cathedral of the bishop of Rome is Saint John Lateran.

I thought the Cathederal belonged to the Dean and Chapter and that the Bishop has his Seat in the Cathederal. :confused:

Also important to note that there are Minor and Major Basilicas.

Because of the fact that many cathedrals are also basilicas, I think many people assume that a basilica is a large or archetecturally important Church. I recently visited two basilicas in South America - one in Colombia and the other in Venezuela. They were both tiny, simple Churches - not even in major cities but they had specific spritual and pilgrim significance.

Hi Pious,

I thought the [Cathedral] belonged to the Dean and Chapter and that the Bishop has his Seat in the [Cathedral]

We haven’t said that the cathedral belonged to the bishop. We said it was the bishop’s church, the church where he is a bishop. Actual property varies from country to country.

Verbum

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Also important to note that there are Minor and Major Basilicas.
[/quote]

Am I correct in believing that there are seven major basilicas, all of which are in Rome, e.g. St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, etc. All other basilicas are minor basilicas?

HI BJ,

There are 4 Major basilicas, all in Rome : St.Peter, St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, St. Paul Outside the Walls.

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.