Bay Area Professor Who Assaulted 7 Conservatives with Bike Lock Gets Probation

Bay Area Professor Who Assaulted 7 Conservatives with Bike Lock Gets Probation

Tom Ciccotta 9 Aug 2018 Breitbart News

A former Diablo Valley College professor who used a bike lock to assault seven Trump supporters at a free speech rally last August will only receive three years of probation as part of a plea deal.

Eric Clanton, a former philosophy professor at Diablo Valley College, will receive only a three-year probation for his assault on Trump supporters at a Berkeley Free Speech rally in August 2017. Clanton was captured on video smashing a Trump supporter’s head with a bike lock. His victim ultimately fell to the ground, covered in his own blood.

Court documents revealed that Clanton struck at least seven people in the head at the Berkeley free speech rally on April 15, 2017. . . .

. . . Clanton was initially charged with four counts of felony assault.

During a search of Clanton’s home, investigators found documents that linked him to local Antifa groups. . . .

Clanton entered into a plea agreement on Wednesday for a misdemeanor battery charge. All felony charges against Clanton were dismissed. . . .

Quinnipiac Professor Matthew Loter Allegedly Assaults YouTuber for Criticizing Social Justice

That could have been a deadly weapon.

Is anybody really surprised that in the Bay Area, violence against Trump supporters is tacitly approved?

Plea deals usually give someone a far reduced sentence in exchange for the guilty plea. A large portion of convictions come from such deals, especially in court systems where resources are few and the lawyers are spread thin. From the perspective of the prosecutor this frees up resources to move on to another case. But this also creates situations in which a guilty person gets a light sentence or a non-guilty person pleas guilty because of the risks of the higher charges if the deal is not accepted.

If those attacked feel so inclined they can bring a civil case against him.

An instance of “stand your ground” by the professor. (I would assume being surrounded by 7 angry Trump supporter is enough to make anyone feel threatened.)

Victim can sue and I hope he will.
Hit 'em in the pocketbook

No, I am not surprised.

I’m not surprised. In fairness to the prosecutors if they took it to trial they’d face a kooky jury of his peers. But this was a serious string of assaults. They should have gotten at least a felony plea.

Wow. I really expected better of you. This man used essentially a metal pipe to crack people in the heads. This man did this to seven different people over a period of time. This man sought out his victims. This man came out of a crowd to attack people.

Watch the video in the article. The attack occurs at seventeen seconds so you can see this was unprovoked. And this was a vicious attack. You can hear the severity of the head crack.

Eh, the anti-Trump people will find any old excuse to justify any sort of bad behavior they wish to do. I find the vast majority of them, including this poster, completely lacking in any sort of credibility (or logic) for that reason. They just think like toddlers… “I didn’t get my way and besides Trump is bad and all his supporters are scary, so I’m allowed to be just as violent as I like.”

A nice civil lawsuit is just what is called for here. It doesn’t matter if it’s Richard Spencer, you are not permitted to whack someone in the head with a bike lock unless they actually hit you first, or at least take a swing at you.

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be surprised if the professor doesn’t have a lot of money. I could be wrong, but I don’t see his particular employment as being very financially rewarding, and that is an expensive place to live. But having that guilty plea will help in any civil lawsuit.

I’d sue for the principle of the thing even if the guy was judgment-proof.

I just read about the case in another article. He accepted a nolo contendere plea.For the most part this is the same as a guilty plea deal, but on the sentencing, but nolo isn’t admission of fault. This impacts civil cases in that with a guilty plea the plea can be carried forward to a civil case but with nolo plea in a civil case.

On the topic of protest though it looks like there are some demonstrations and counter demonstrations scheduled in DC this upcoming week. While there isn’t a rally scheduled in Chancellorsville they plan to have a heavier police presence than on the usual day to try to keep things uneventful.

In DC, there’s pretty much a protest happening on any decent weather day ending in Y.

By accepting a no contest plea for seriously reduced charges the prosecutors definitely let down the victims and society.

A guy dressed in a black proverbial ninja outfit (college “ethics” teacher Eric Clanton who is now an “ex-college teacher” as far as I can tell), was standing behind a woman with a solid steel u-shaped bar in his hand (a steel bike lock).

He clubbed a man from where he was standing–behind a woman–in the man’s head with this steel bar injuring him.

This guy proceeded to go around and do this clubbing to seven different people in all.

Hit and run so to speak.

Puposeful.

Seven.

Steel.

Head injury.

LeafByNiggle . . .

An instance of “stand your ground” by the professor.

If you thought for a minute that this was a “stand your ground” situation LeafByNiggle, you should be decrying that he was even charged with a misdemeanor and given probation.

There is nothing illegal by a person using “stand your ground”.

But of course this is not an instance of “stand your ground”.

This is a felony assault that has been re-defined because of WHERE it occurred and the politics involved.

I can’t “prove” that, but I ask the other readers to just watch and draw their own conclusions.

For all others look at the video and draw your own conclusions. See if YOU THINK this was a . . .
. . . . “stand your ground” or if . . .
. . . . “stand your ground” here is a . . . . “Pipe dream of the liberal mindset” (pun intended).

There are lots of bad societal results with miscarriages of justice as has occurred here.

This guy is a felon who by liberal privilege is going down in the books as a misdemeanor.

If he was honestly “standing his ground” there should be NO GUILT.

Watch the Youtube video footage and draw your own conclusions.

It is “painful” to watch in more ways than one.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/08/outrageous-violent-antifa-protester-and-college-ethics-prof-gets-probation-for-beating-man-with-bike-lock/

Prof who rubbed out pro-life chalk drawings must pay $26K for infringing free speech

ucfengr . . .

Is anybody really surprised that in the Bay Area, violence against Trump supporters is tacitly approved?

Liberal privilege

This just shows how stupid the “stand your ground” defense is. It can apply any time the person feels he is threatened, whether he is objectively threatened or not. That was my point. You didn’t think I was actually supporting this professor’s actions, did you?

ThinkingSapien . . .

Plea deals usually give someone a far reduced sentence in exchange for the guilty plea.

Yep. That is (part of) what plea deals are.

If those attacked feel so inclined they can bring a civil case against him.

If this (at the time) college “ethics” professor, Eric Clanton, is “livin’ for the cause”, . . .

. . . the victims attorneys are probably going to counsel against civil follow-up.

Why?

Because there won’t be many damages recoverable from this guy’s proverbial mom’s basement.

The victims may get a bicycle, a macbook pro, a backpack, and an ounce of pot (just joking on this last point) to dole out among themselves.

That’s about it.

Your straw man of “Stand your ground” is indeed stupid, but that’s not how the law actually works, as I’m sure you know.

You didn’t think I was actually supporting this professor’s actions, did you?

Thank you LeafByNiggle for the clarification.

A rhetorical point (even one that I disagree with like this) I can take.

Excusing this “teacher” of “ethics” here would have been another thing altogether.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.