BBC admits it underestimated the Church’s opposition to Hitler

UK Catholic Herald: BBC admits it underestimated the Church’s opposition to Hitler

The BBC’s internal watchdog has found that a programme wrongly accused the Catholic Church of “silence” about the Holocaust.

After Pope Francis’s visit to Auschwitz in July, BBC One’s 6pm news bulletin carried a report which stated: “Silence was the response of the Catholic Church when Nazi Germany demonised Jewish people and then attempted to eradicate Jews from Europe.”

In response, the cross-bench peer Lord Alton of Liverpool and Fr Leo Chamberlain, the former headmaster of Ampleforth, made an official complaint.

Nearly six months later, the BBC’s editorial complaints unit has now concluded that the item was unfair. According to the unit, the BBC reporter “did not give due weight to public statements by successive popes or the efforts made on the instructions of Pius XII to rescue Jews from Nazi persecution, and perpetuated a view which is at odds with the balance of evidence.”…

Nearly six months later, the BBC’s editorial complaints unit has now concluded that the item was unfair. According to the unit, the BBC reporter “did not give due weight to public statements by successive popes or the efforts made on the instructions of Pius XII to rescue Jews from Nazi persecution, and perpetuated a view which is at odds with the balance of evidence.” . . .

. . . In a blog post criticising the BBC report, Lord Alton pointed out that several historians had praised Pius’s achievements in the fight against Nazism. The peer quoted Pinchas Lapide, a Jewish historian and Israeli diplomat, as saying that Pius XII “was instrumental in saving at least 700,000, but probably as many as 860,000 Jews from certain death at Nazi hands.”

I don’t know if this was “fake news” from the BBC or poor reporting from the BBC.

The truth about the great work of the Catholic Church is certainly out there and could have been expounded upon with some average journalism.

Thankfully there are knowledgeable blog posters out there that keep corrrecting this sort of thing (that used to go uncorrected).

Unfortunately, six months later much of the anti-Catholic harm done by the BBC has already gone out.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Yes, more fuzzy reporting and the feathers of deceitful innuendo are so difficult to collect…
Much of this kind of reporting was done in the latest US election cycle. Much distrust and prejudice was exploited in our country so that even family members were and still are deeply offended by thoughts and words of other ‘dearly loved’ family members…

Glad some knowledgeable folks chimed in on Catholic position on Hitler…

Its amazing and sad how the myth of “Hitler’s pope” continues to be perpetuated.
On a positive note, I caught part of a documentary on National Geographic entitled “Pope vs Hitler” which very much portrayed Pope Pius XII as a great and relentless enemy of Hitler and Nazism.

I too saw that documentary “Pope vs Hitler” which I found very informative. But part of it disturbed me, because I had never heard before that the Pope had secretly shown support for the assassination plot of Hitler., and that he had signed a document stating his approvall.
I wanted to know more about that, so I have since read a Catholic review on the documentary that has cast some doubt on that particular report and some other detail.
thecatholicthing.org/2016/09/09/pope-vs-hitler-a-review-and-a-plea/

That said, I have never had any doubt that Pope Pius X11 helped save the lives of of all those Jews. I have read other documents of that, with many favourable statements revealed by Jews.

When he was silent it would only have been because knowing how evil Hitler’s regime was, saying something at the wrong time would only have created further danger with even more deaths and punishments.

In general the secular media has to be taken with a grain of salt
and be corrected for fairness. Hitler’s regime had already been
oppressing not only Judaism, but also Christian Churches especially
the Catholic Church by 1938. Yet, Time magazine chose him
as their ‘man of the year,’ in 1938. Very sad.
I’m sure they have justifications for honoring someone like him.
~
I hope and pray the media bias will end soon.

Oh BBC is most definitely full of that fake news which the Pope spoke of!

If you want to learn more about Vatican intel during this period, I highly recommend* Church of Spies*, by Mark Riebling.

I’ve seen at least one Jewish book (I have since thrown it away) about the holocaust (or more politically correct, shoa) that criticizes the role of the Catholic Church and Pius XII.

As a Catholic, I seem to get only the news as filtered for Catholics. What is to be said about whether the German Lutheran Church did what they should have, LONG before the Catholic Church did anything to oppose Hitler?

Why does the Catholic Church seem to always be in the eye of the target? Why didn’t atheists speak out against Hitler? Why didn’t agnostics speak out against Hitler? How did Judaism react to the rise of Hitler?

These stinging criticisms only reinforce that I am in the right place, the Catholic Church, whose high standard of morality is very well known and the benchmark for ethics.

The reality is that Hitler was so menacing that speaking out directly was equivalent to suicide. So, these criticisms reduce to, why didn’t the Catholic Church commit suicide? Well, sure. Such nonsense is to be expected.

Thanks for the recommendation TCEL.

After I previously posted I had another look at the Catholic Herald article on the first post, from there I read the link referring to - Church of Spies by Mark Riebling.
They also recommended it, but with a mixture of criticism and praise, and they certainly make it clear that Pope Pius had no part in the assassination plot.

Here it is.
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2016/02/01/books-blog-pius-xii-wanted-hitler-gone-but-he-didnt-plot-to-have-him-killed/

Apparently you are unaware of Time’s criteria for picking a man/person of the year. Perhaps you should educate yourself. It is not necessarily an honor.

I need to reread it.

I did read up on it before I posted it.
I just do not agree with their justification.

Slowly a lot of the lies about the Church are being corrected.

Our civil education systems were taken over last century and until the internet the pro secular / anti-Catholic professors had no opposition. They obviously didn’t hold back and unfortunately turned millions away from our church.

Things are looking much better now.

I wouldn’t rely on the BBC for a single moment for unbiased journalism.

Me either. Britain’s version of CNN!

The history of the Pope who fought Hitler - bit.ly/2hFtgg7

Maybe we can get on that sainthood thing for Pius XII now. It’s long past due. We may never know all the good he did for the Church and the world because it was all kept so secret so as to protect both church and people.

I agree.

In my opinion, he was one of the greatest religious and political figures of recent history in terms of his contributions to Catholic thought, philosophy and global politics.

His role in fostering peace, security, integration and prosperity in post-war Europe, as well as helping to defend our civilization at that time against the Soviet threat, has been most grievously airbrushed and/or misunderstood due to the mistaken belief that he was an appeaser of Nazism, or at least silent in the face of the Holocaust.

A major re-evaluation of his legacy is required in scholarship.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.