BBC-Cairo dilemma over prayer calls

This is a facinating article about the use of loudpeakers in Cairo by the various mosques, which is so loud that the government is considering making new rules to regulate it. Apparently, it gets really deafening. BBC has the best news articles…

Cairo dilemma over prayer calls BBC article

[quote=WhiteDove]This is a facinating article about the use of loudpeakers in Cairo by the various mosques, which is so loud that the government is considering making new rules to regulate it. Apparently, it gets really deafening. BBC has the best news articles…

Cairo dilemma over prayer calls BBC article
[/quote]

I once heard the call to prayer over the phone while my husband was in his hotel room with his windows closed, in Saudi. It is very loud there too.:slight_smile: I told him it was* his* call to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy!

Hehe. I remember while we were living in England, they were starting to get complaints about mosques from the Anglo neighbors who didn’t like “ALLAAAAAAAAAAHU AKBAR!!!” at 0500. I told my mates that if I were the local council, I’d say, “You want prayer calls at 0500, fine. But you gotta do it the oldfashioned way. No amplifiers–you gotta sent the guy up the tower to do it in person.”

I’ve spent time in Cairo and Damascus. The calls were loud, but I didn’t find them that bad. I have a bigger problem with hip-hop music on four-wheeled boom-boxes.

DaveBj

When I was in Cairo, you could here the prayer calls from anywhere and everywhere in the city, including indoors. They weren’t that loud, but they were just simply annoying.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.