BBC's History of Christianity?

Should I take the time to check out the BBC’s ‘History of Christianity’ documentary series? I’m reading that Diarmaid MacCulloch --the Religion professor serving as host-- seems to have some anti-catholic biases (Given no-less because he is ordained with the Church of England).

If not the above, then what series do you guys recommend in order to get an unbiased, objective view of Christian history?

It is good to see the other’s point of view.

Personally, whatever the BBC says about Christianity I take with a pinch of salt. Sometimes with a very big pinch :rolleyes:

It make sense that the presenter is a member of the dominant Christian denomination in the UK.

I haven’t watched it myself but I’ve heard from others that it’s interesting, so its probably worth a go.

Last I heard, Catholics have more Sunday Mass attendees than the Church of England, despite representing a far smaller percentage of the population.

bbc.co.uk/news/11297461 shows some interesting statistics.

You could almost say, on the basis of there being more ‘active’ Catholics than Anglicans in the UK that the Catholic Church might reasonable claim the position of ‘established’ over the Anglicans!

But that’s surely just me being mischievous. Isn’t it? :wink:

BBC is unbiased, unless you are Catholic… :rolleyes:

There might be more active Catholics, but there are more people who declare themselves as CofE, and of course CofE is the official religion.

I read his book The Reformation and it was quite good – certainly not pro-Catholic but he went out of his way to take down a lot of stereotypes and myths about the Church during the period.

Do you have a link for the BBC program?

fraternitypublications.com/the-history-of-christendom-series.html
I have heard great things about this series, and I have never regretted a purchase from the above site.

McCulloch is an accomplished Historian and writer, but will naturally be biased against orthodox christianity (Catholicism) as he was raised in the Anglican (protestant) tradition and was almost ordained a priest in it. The reason he chose not to become ordained is due to his homosexuality, which is another personal circumstance which will cause him to reject orthodox christianity. He has been a member of the Lesbian & Gay Christian Movement since 1976.

He is no doubt a brilliant man, (see his achievements and posts he has held),but, due to aspects of his own background, I would suggest he is by no means an impartial commentator on Catholicism.

From his wiki page:

I was ordained Deacon. But, being a gay man, it was just impossible to proceed further, within the conditions of the Anglican set-up, because I was determined that I would make no bones about who I was; I was brought up to be truthful, and truth has always mattered to me. The Church couldn’t cope and so we parted company. It was a miserable experience

While I sympathise with the obvious disappointment and hurt evident in his words here, it seems he (like many) chose his sexuality over his Christianity and has since set about trying to change Christianity’s view of human sexuality.

He was wrong about “the Anglican set-up” incidentally - the CoE now seems on the verge of appointing openly gay bishops.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.