Be JOYFUL not just happy

This here is probably the most important aspect of being a Catholic: to learn how to be joyful, in spite of anything and everything. It really cannot be overstated how important this is: as St. Thomas of Aquinas taught, you cannot know peace if you do not know how to be joyful; on the other hand, once you know what joy is, then it cannot be taken away from you, as Jesus said (“but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice; and your joy no man shall take from you,” John 16:22), and thus you will have peace. Think about it: if you can always find joy whenever and wherever you are, then what else will you have to be afraid of? What else will you need? Will you ever be troubled again?

Now the perfection of joy is peace in two respects. First, as regards freedom from outward disturbance; for it is impossible to rejoice perfectly in the beloved good, if one is disturbed in the enjoyment thereof; and again, if a man’s heart is perfectly set at peace in one object, he cannot be disquieted by any other, since he accounts all others as nothing; hence it is written (Psalm 118:165): “Much peace have they that love Thy Law, and to them there is no stumbling-block,” because, to wit, external things do not disturb them in their enjoyment of God. Secondly, as regards the calm of the restless desire: for he does not perfectly rejoice, who is not satisfied with the object of his joy.

Summa Theologiae, I-II, Q. 70, A. 3, co.

Here we go again. Another thread started by joyful Catholics telling the rest of us what we have to do… :wink:

For us introverts, our joy may not be in an outward display. I smile, I laugh I am more often happy than not, but I am not demonstrative.

Just scroll on by.

I don’t stand the apparent cynicism…?

:pensive: Please, just be careful, friends. Deliberate spiritual sadness, which is the refusal of God’s joy, is actually a sin, but it is also very different from experiencing sorrow. It’s called acedia.

CCC 2094 One can sin against God’s love in various ways:

• indifference neglects or refuses to reflect on divine charity; it fails to consider its prevenient goodness and denies its power.

• ingratitude fails or refuses to acknowledge divine charity and to return him love for love.

• lukewarmness is hesitation or negligence in responding to divine love; it can imply refusal to give oneself over to the prompting of charity.

• acedia or spiritual sloth goes so far as to refuse the joy that comes from God and to be repelled by divine goodness.

• hatred of God comes from pride. It is contrary to love of God, whose goodness it denies, and whom it presumes to curse as the one who forbids sins and inflicts punishments.

I watched that video, he has good ones out. I still struggle with this, was at adoration last night and realize I worry about a lot of things. Some of those things I really don’t have control over, so why does it do any good for me to worry about them? I need to trust in God more, I think there’s fear that things won’t work out.

I get conflicted, I’m supposed to follow God’s will but I still have to make my own decisions. So how do I know what’s the right decision to make? I feel at a certain point you have to help yourself. You can pray to get a job or for this or that relationship but if you don’t actively go out and make it happen, it’s not going to happen. You’re not just going to get a call for a job offer from nowhere and you’re not going to make a friend if you don’t put yourself out there. I think the mistake I’ve been making though is saying “I have to fix this”, when it comes to issues/wounds I have. He’s the one who’s supposed to fix it, I just need to lay back and let him. Oh, what a relief I’ve had realizing that.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference. Amen

Ugh, I know…all those joyous shining faces make me tired

Meds help, though…

Meds to make you joyful? LOL never heard of that one. Happy drugs, though, well, there’s aplenty.

And I myself find myself getting tired of being happy all the time. It’s unnatural. But joyous oftentimes, if not always? It may not be easy, but it is easier than trying to be happy, and in fact always gives me strength, even in the deepest throes of my depression and anxiety which I have.

And joyous, shiny faces? Pfft that’s very rare on my own face. But still joy never is too far away from me.

I really don’t know what you and some other people in this thread think of joy, but whatever it is, it’s bogus.

N.B. We, who HAVE the Joy of our salvation(Ps. 51:12 )
should PRAY for those who have lost it thru sin or
lack of prayer and good works.(Gal. 6:1), for we must
have pity and Love for one another, for Love covers over
a MULTITUDE of sins!(1 Pet. 4:8).

N.B. stands for note bien, a French word meaning “note well”

One day I’ll be “Joyful”

I have posted in various forums about the blessing of cancer. What I got in return was blank stares or open hatred. A blessing? AYKM?

Cancer (three cancers, actually) has given me a completely new appreciation for the gift of life. What had been slipping between my fingers like sand is now noticed and appreciated. I have experienced things, participated in research, met people and traveled to places that I never would have otherwise. Say you could turn the clock back 10 years and give me the choice of good health or cancer. I would take the cancer again. If I beat the cancer, I win. If I lose to cancer, I win. That is the reward of faith in Christ. No? Read 2 Corinthians 5 and Philippians 1:20 and following.

In fact, I was considering writing a book entitled “Making Cancer Fun!”

OK, maybe not.

As you yourself has noted, being joyful is a choice, and actually a command of the Lord for us.

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

If the Eastern philosophies and religions have mindfulness, for Christians it’s joy and peace.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.