Be Tolerant at ground Zero

The following was sent to me via email so I’m passing it on

I am truly perplexed that so many of my friends are against a mosque being built near Ground Zero.
I think it should be the goal of every American to be tolerant. The mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.
That is why I also propose, that two nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque thereby promoting tolerance within the mosque. We could call one of the clubs (which would be gay) “The Turban Cowboy” and the other being a topless bar “You Mecca Me Hot”.
Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork and adjacent to that have an open barbeque pork rib restaurant, called something like “Iraq o’ Ribs”?
Across the street there could be a very daring lingerie store called Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods.
Next door to the lingerie shop, there would be room for an Adult Toy Shop (Koranal Knowledge), its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store, maybe call it “Morehammered”?
Then the Muslims could be allowed to show their tolerance. Problem solved.
If you agree in promoting tolerance and you think this is a good plan, pass it on.

Koranal Knowledge

:rotfl:

On Sunday October 10, 2010 the LA Times ran an article entitled “When Catholics were the enemy” written by Sharon Davies. I think another poster referred to this article in another thread.

The article discussed the anti-Catholicism in the 1920s. Ms. Davies points out how this background of simmering hatred resulted in the murder of Father James E. Coyle in Birmingham Alabama. Father Coyle was a young Irish priest. A Methodist minister the Rev Edwin R. Stephenson gunned down Fr Coyle on the porch of the priest’s home in front of dozens of witnesses.

Of course the Rev. Stephenson walked out of his trial a free man. His lawyer future Supreme Court justice Hugo Black convinced the jury that the good reverend was defending the community against some foreign religion that hated American democracy. Everyone knew that Catholics first loyalty was to the Pope who wanted to take over the country and imposed an alien dogma on good Protestants.

Look up the newspapers like the “Menace” out of Aurora, MO and “Jeffersonian” out of Atlanta, GA. They published “The Pope: Chief of White Slavers High Priest of Intrigue
By Jeremiah J. Crowley.” And I grew up with many baptist relatives. I heard all the jokes about priests and nuns, priests and boys, and how the Pope was going to take over America.

I’ve had 2 generations of family men fight for our country. And looks like a third generation will be joining in a few months. So I can say this. Making fun of Muslims doesn’t make you sound clever. Making fun of Muslims doesn’t make you sound witty. Or patriotic. Making fun of Muslims make you sound like a jerk.

http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gif for this thread…

Although I’m against building the ground zero mosque, but that doesn’t mean we sarcasm others…

Agreed, the initial post is…tasteless.

The OP was tasteless. Funny, but tasteless. However…please do not equate the sort of persecution that the Catholics had to put up with, and the Quakers had to put up with, or the Mormons or the JW’s or the Shakers or the Puritans or…with this problem of the mosque at Ground Zero.

First…as far as I am aware, in the USA at least, Catholics didn’t send terrorists to kill thousands of people in a sneak attack, and then propose to build a cathedral on the site of the attack, and dedicate it on the anniversary of the date of the attack. Neither did the Quakers or the Mormons or the JW’s or the Shakers or the Puritans.

Notice, also, that the OP did not advocate murdering anybody. He didn’t advocate violence–or preventing the building, or tearing it down. In fact, tasteless as it was, he showed us exactly the level of insult that the Muslims proposing this mosque are leveling against the USA by building this victory monument where they wish, and dedicating it when they wish. In fact, he may have understated the sheer level of offense that is being proposed–it’s a repeat of all those dancing Palistinians on the day of the attack itself.

I am, actually, rather struck by most of what is happening in regard to this Ground Zero Mosque. Nobody is attempting to kill the Imam responsible. Nobody is advocating violence against him or his followers. No mob action. Communication is what is happening. Protests. Free speech.

Do we need to be tolerant? Of course…but there is an old saying: “your freedom ends wehre my nose begins.” Building a Muslim Mosque at Ground Zero, using a building that was damaged by one of the planes, is definitely a nose busting act–right up there with, oh–building a Madrassah and Lourdes, perhaps?

Can we put some context on your post here? You facts are not bad, but some things are left out.

Not to excuse anyone’s actions, but Stephenson had a more immediate motive (than anti-Catholicism) in that Coyle had officiated at the wedding of Stephenson’s daughter to a man from Puerto Rico. I would guess that racism was more of a concern to Stephenson, in this instance. While its fun to mention Supreme Court Judge Hugo Black, I don’t think we should blame Black especially for this affair (or conlude that anti-Catholicism rose to the highest levels of the American court system), because I think he was assigned the case, which happens to defenders - they have to defend nasty people as part of their job. The jury aquitted only by one vote - not exactly a groundswell of hatred/stupdity there. The trial outcome caused a public stir, was held to be an example of injustice, worked against the public image of the klan, and is (my opinion) no more representative of the american justice system than the O.J. Simpson murder case.

I felt such a sense of relief, and surprise, reading the title of this post. I was sadly mistaken to have expected that true tolerance was the purpose of this post. I dislike pointing the finger at others, so I apology for my hypocrisy. But this is not Christ’s message.

What I am struck with is this: “Be tolerant at Ground Zero” is universally and automatically assumed to be aimed at the US and those folks who are protesting the building of this mosque.

…when in reality, the phrase would be better aimed at the Muslims who are contemplating issuing this insane example of intolerance and insult by even thinking about building a mosque there and dedicating it then.

It’s also ironic; nobody is surprised that we would be asked for tolerance. The plea is published, broadcasted…heard and read all over the place, and the only thing that happens to the writers and speakers is either pats on the back, or expressions of verbal/written disaproval.

What would happen to anybody who wrote 'Be tolerant at Ground Zero," aimed at MUSLIMS in a Pakistani newspaper? Assuming, of course, that any newspaper would publish such a thing?

I’ll half agree with your last point as I couldn’t imagine such a message been conveyed by a Pakistani newspaper either. However here in the UK there are several Muslim writers who have spoken agains the Mosque’s errection in this location.

And THAT, my friend, is the best hope for reconciliation and tolerance we have. Indeed, if Muslims recognise themselves how egregious an insult this is, and stop it, it will do more to heal things than anything WE could do to be ‘tolerant.’

…and in fact, would be pretty much the only thing that could. (sigh)

Why does it seem that everything I like is NOT tolerated by those who preach tolerance?

Shouldn’t the Muslims be tolerant of those who suffered from the 9/11 attacks?

I used to wear a ballcap…it was my favorite ballcap…it had a Rebel Flag on it. One day, a friend of mine who is African American said the hat offended him. I did not think it should. The Rebel Flag is part of my heritage. Yet, out of respect for him, I did not wear it around him. Then, I stopped wearing it all together. I had no wish to intentionally offend anyone.

The people opposed to the Mosque are not opposed to the Mosque itself, but merely the location of the Mosque.

Maybe it is time for tolerance to be practiced TOWARD the people that tolerance is demanded FROM

Hello everyone I’m the OP. Yes its sad to laugh at that. Now call me a jerk call me sarcastic call me what you will but I simply was making a point. And as has offten been said through out the years, sometimes the truth hurts.

And people will lable someone when they feel hurt.

P.S. I shouldn’t have mentioned tolerance. It opens up a whole can of worms. Thats what happens when there is so much hypocrisy.

I’d be getting more worked up about Muslims stoning people.

There is hypocrisy when Americans are constantly admonished to avoid violence, bad thoughts, or poking fun at the other side (cartoons, etc.), since this could provoke a violent reaction among muslims - and the predictable violent reaction is even held up as a reason to go forward with the mosque. Essentially the argument now is, “While we know it (the mosque location) offends you people, we have to go forward, because to back down now will provoke a reaction in the muslim world.” Muslims threaten violence to get their way - and it works. Take the case of the cartoonist who created “Draw Mohammed Day” - now in hiding.

Would you support a German Nationalist center at Aushwitz?

Actually, from analysis, one can say the timing of the mosque at the WTC coincides with the decree by the head of the Muslim Brotherhood, the umbrella for all terrorism in the name of Islam…this past September 2010, to declare violent jihad against Israel and the USA.

The jihadist have a thing about September…

Anyway, the article is stating that militant Islam…under the head leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood, the organization that came out of the early 1920’s and was in collusion with the Naziis, essentially declared war on America.

And we continue dozing.

I find it interesting that the rich and powerful who are in certain fraternal organizations…seem to promote the wolves all in the name of tolerance…an American Muslim on TV pointed to the general understanding that George Washington was a member…of an organization that uses Islamic symbols…interesting collusion…because it is the rich and powerful who are protecting and promoting these dangerous phonies.

As the imam said, for us to move the mosque to another location is endangering our national security…how inflammatory is that…and that again, passive America we do nothing but let this man blackmail us with threats…

I think people are getting fed up with the wolves who come across as lambs, the media that is constantly promoting them and disregarding its own people, those members of elitist clubs who hypocritically impose all their tolerance ideas on us who have to live with the consequences on the street every day, as well as all the rest we see on TV all the time…our leadership in Washington, DC.

There is already a prayer hall housed inside Park51 which has been conducting Friday prayers every week since last year and this means that from a Muslim perspective, for all intents and purposes, there ALREADY is a functioning mosque inside the building which is serving the needs of hundreds of Muslims who live and work in the area.

And so, the fact of the matter is that what the protesters are actually protesting against is not the building of this so-called “victory mosque” since it has already been built… but rather, they are getting all worked-up over the plan to add facilities like a swimming pool, basketball court and culinary school inside the building.

Now friend…don’t muddy the water with facts!!! :shrug:

The fact of the matter is…such a facility inside a building that was damaged by the 9/11 planes is what is being objected to. It’s not the swimming pools. It’s Muslim presence in a religious capacity AT ALL.

Can’t YOU see how egregious an insult this is?

It is as if the USA exploded the rock at Mecca–then decided to build a Wild West theme park on the grounds in the 'spirit of reconciliation."

That you can’t actually SEE this is…I don’t get it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.