Beaming love and light?

I read a couple of Christian health related personal blogs. Where basically the blog chronicles the journey of an illness. In addition to prayer requests, I am seeing the request to “beam love and light” - what does that even mean? Beam it where? How does one beam? I don’t get it, and it doesn’t seem like the blogs, due to their nature, are the best place to ask. Any ideas?

I would just look at it as someone asking for God’s love and light to be directed to the intended.

I think so, its a vague idea of higher power, probably consistent with.

Holistic Medicine

What is Holistic Medicine?

" Holistic medicine is the art and science of healing that addresses care of the whole person - body, mind, and spirit. The practice of holistic medicine integrates conventional and complementary therapies to promote optimal health, and prevent and treat disease by addressing contributing factors.

In practice, this means that each person is seen as a unique individual, rather than an example of a particular disease. Disease is understood to be the result of physical, emotional, spiritual, social and environmental imbalance. Healing, therefore, takes place naturally when these aspects of life are brought into proper balance. The role of the practitioner is as guide, mentor and role model; the patient must do the work - changing lifestyle, beliefs and old habits in order to facilitate healing. All appropriate methods may be used, from medication to meditation."

The prayer is the focus above.

It may seem a little Star Trek or New Age influenced, but to me it seems consistent with the tradition of seeing God as a source of light and a fountain of love. Just as the sun is poetically said to beam down upon us during the day, so too does God beam down on His children. Or, He lets His face shine upon us, illuminates the darkness, fills us with our love. Perhaps this expression has become traditional among certain groups of Christians. What’s the harm?

Eh.

Having been a Buddhist and studied the whole New Age movement thing, I can tell you that anytime you see something involving “love and light”, you need to be careful around it. New Agers love saying “love and light” as much as they love saying “namaste.” And it wouldn’t surprise me to see New Age stuff in a Christian context (I mean, we have Joel Osteen for goodness sake).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.