Beatific Vision/Christ's Body?

O.k, I just read the ‘God has no body’ thing. What about Jesus? Won’t he have a body when we see Him in the Beatific vision? Thanks… I’m kinda confused.

God has no physical body,He is pure spirit. Jesus Christ is both God and Man and has a glorified physical body in Heaven.

But God and Jesus are One Holy Being, so how can it be that God is pure spirit and Jesus, who is God, has has a body? I still don’t get it.

God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit share in Divinity, Jesus’s Divinity is united to a human nature and a human body, through Jesus Man has access to God.

O.k- still needing clarification. How does God have no body, but at the same time, God has a body? this makes no sense. I’m not trieing to be rediculous here, I just don’t see how that is.

God has a body. To say otherwise is to deny the divinity of Jesus.

tee

Tee:
but that message (that god has a body) contradicts what the ‘God has no body’ tract says in the ‘Library’ on catholic.com. I’m still just as confused.

Yes, it does.

:twocents:
I do not know why Catholic Answers felt compelled to compose that tract, nor why it was titled (IMHO) so badly. Had it been titled The Father Has No Body it would not be a point of confusion. Nor do I understand why the tract dismisses the fact of Christ’s body so offhandedly. When I assert:
[LIST]
*]Jesus is God
*]Jesus has a body
*]God has a body
[/LIST]
I make no assertion about the eternity nor necessity of God having a body.
:twocents:

You would have to ask the employees of Catholic Answers why they have written what they have written. For me: As long as I shall continue to assert that Jesus is God, and as long as I shall have no reason to believe he has shed that body, I shall never deny that God has a body.

tee

It is correct to say that only Jesus, the second person of the Trinity has a human body.

Yes, it is.

It is also correct to say that Jesus, the second person of the Trinity, is God.

tee

Yes, God the Son has a human body.

Yes, God has a body.

tee

Chalk it up to one of those Mysteries we’ll never understand-
Jesus=God
Jesus has a body, therefore, God has a body.

However,

Father=God
Holy Spirit= God
Neither have a body. Therefore, God does NOT have a body.

I always assumed when people said “God doesn’t have a body” they meant that God the FATHER isn’t some robe-wearin’, white-beared old guy in the sky.

Of course, no one has ever been able to convince me that God’s glorified body contains matter, seeing how it exists outside time and space, which would mean it can’t contain matter that needs to be moved around. But that’s a different thread.

I agree with you. It is the same logic that allows us to say that Mary is the mother of God with assurance. We don’t have to go all around the mulberry bush, Christ is God, Mary is Christ’s mother, therefore Mary is the mother of God. Right? :shrug:

Christ has a body, therefore, God has a body. We don’t have to go around the mulberry bush as to how, when and where, it is enough to know that God took on flesh, for forever. Emmanuel, God with us. Right? :shrug:

Only the Second Person of the Trinity has a human nature and a physical body.

I do not believe anyone here has asserted otherwise.

[user]Jeanette L[/user] beat me to the [post=3658524]analogy[/post], but Mary gave birth to only the Second Person of the Trinity – What would be your reaction if mormon.com had a tract in their library titled Mary Is Not The Mother Of God?

tee

The Trinity is a paradox, so is sometimes very difficult to discuss, (as has been demonstrated here :stuck_out_tongue: ) but we can say that if any person of the Trinity has a body, this would mean, not that the other two have bodies, but that God has a Body. This is because the three persons of the Trinity are of one substance - one Divine essence. Each person of the Trinity is the One God, while at the same time being a distinct person.

Therefore, it is perfectly correct to say that God has a body.

God the Father, the First person of the Trinity does not have a human body.

God the Holy Spirit, the Third person of the Holy Trinity does not have a human body.

Only God the Son the Second person of the Holy Trinity has a human body.

The three persons of the Holy trinity do in fact share in one substance, one Divine Essence, but NOT in one human nature. We only have access to God the Father through Jesus His Son. Human nature is only united to Divinity in the Second person of the Trinity.

Agreed! What next? :stuck_out_tongue:

The Father and the Holy Spirit do not have human natures, but because each of the Divine persons is God, God has a human nature if even one of the persons has a human nature.

Since Christ has a human nature, and Christ is God, God has a human nature.

This does not mean that the human nature of the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity somehow transfers to the other persons. They are distinct, but this does not change the fact that the Second Person of the Trinity is God.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think this is a sumarry of what we’re discussing.

I say:

Christ is God, Christ has a human nature, therefore God has a human nature.

You say:

The Father and the Holy Spirit do not have human natures, these persons are God, therefore it cannot be said that God has a human nature.

I respond (I feel like St. Thomas Aquinas :stuck_out_tongue: ):

It’s a paradox! These two trains of though are apparently irreconcilable, but only to the limited human intellect.

I still think, though, that it’s entirely appropriate to say that God has a human nature and a human body. The fact that we’re dealing with a paradox does not make it impossible to declare truths, and this truth is certain if we are to acknowledge that Christ is God. Any difficulty in understanding how this is reconcilable with the purely Divine natures of the other persons of the Blessed Trinity must be attributed to the limitations of the human mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.