Beatific vision?

What do the words “beatific vision” mean? It was mentioned in another post - I’ve never heard those words before…

thanks.

The immediate knowledge of God which the angelic spirits and the souls of the just enjoy in Heaven. It is called “vision” to distinguish it from the mediate knowledge of God which the human mind may attain in the present life. And since in beholding God face to face the created intelligence finds perfect happiness, the vision is termed “beatific”. For further explanation of the subject, see HEAVEN.

newadvent.org/cathen/02364a.htm

I like the way it was put here:
BENEDICTUS DEUS (On the Beatific Vision of God) Pope Benedict XII Constitution issued in 1336
ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/B12BDEUS.HTM

Enjoy!

RyanL

In short, being “face to face” with God. Being in the full presence of God. Being fully united with God.

So basically it’s what we experience when we get to Heaven?

I ask because in another thread it was stated that although unborn children who die are in the care of our Most Merciful God, they do not share in the “beatific vision.” So how would that work? It seems contradictory to say that they will be taken care of by God but yet not in heaven??? :confused:

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.