Became a Catholic(7/11/10)

I officially became a Catholic during a service my my Protestant church(:thumbsup:) when I was reading the Book of James because the pastor was too boring. I became a Catholic because I saw that the Church’s explanation is consistent with the Scripture itself, but unfortunately my family is strictly Protestant, what should I do? I really want to go to a Catholic Church. What should I tell them and how?

Which denomination is your family?

I see you are in highschool? What year?

Which particular teaching are you referring to?

But mostly, from your post and your boredom in church, I suggest you tell them nothing since your maturity level is such that I don’t think they would take you seriously.

Respectfully,
Maria

I didn’t say I was bored of church, I just said that the sermon was tedious as the minister going off topic, I have always enjoy church and I always sincerely love the Lord, I pray alot and I read the Bible. I just said that because the pastor was boring, it brought me(and lots of other adults) to read the Bible, and I discovered the book of James which brought me to the Christian faith then.

My family belong to a denomination called CMA(Christian Missionary Alliance), which basically are just almost the same as any other popular Protestant churches like Methodis or Baptist. They often refer Catholics as Idol worshipers and people who other gods than God(Mary and the saints), some also don’t believe in the doctrine of faith and work, and believe in the doctrine of faith alone.

Unity of Trinity:
If, as your last post seems to imply, you are an adult, then clearly you’re free to make your own choices. If you’re still underage then your parents have some authority over you, and can simply forbid you to attend Catholic events or bring Catholic material into the house.
Given your description of what they think Catholics are like, I doubt very much they’ll cooperate with your desire to convert.
If you are underage, I advise as follows: quietly learn all you can about the Church and about our teachings, and patiently wait till you are old enough to leave your parent’s house, and support yourself. Then go to a priest and arrange for your baptism.
If you’re an adult, then just make the arrangements for baptism.
Either way, I think you must be prepared for a struggle once you tell them.
In any case, do not lie to them. Should they ask about what you believe, tell them the truth.

Spend as much time as you possibly can on here, reading the bible, and praying. Go to a local parish and see if you can get a free copy of the catechism. Consume it. Live it. Be fully emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually prepared to defend your decision to your family when you “come out”. They will most likely seek to “save” you by spouting half-truths and outright lies about the Catholic Church — come to recognize those. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need on these forums, the people here are very friendly and educated about the Catholic faith. Good luck, and welcome home!

I had a quick look at your profile. You seem to be pretty much switched on as far as Chrisitanity is concerned.

As someone else pointed out, if you’re still not legally adult, your parents have some legal control. So it might be best to wait till you’re both old enough, and preferably supporting yourself in some way before you make the move.

The process to become a Catholic is fairly straight forward. Contact your local parish and ask enrol in the RCIA class, and then go from there. Within a year or less of starting the RCIA class, you’ll be inducted into the Catholic Church.

Just be warned - you will get opposition from your parents, and you will also experience opposition and questioning from friends who might be strongly Protestant.

And also be warned - Catholic homilies can be boring at times too.

The Book of James is powerful stuff when dealing with the errors of “faith alone.”

Many years ago, I was discussing “sola fide” with a rather well-educated protestant. I made the common Catholic mistake of assuming that protestants were familiar with the WHOLE Bible (or, at least, the NT), and I was confused because the passages I cited from James (from memory) seemed completely unfamiliar to him. It never occurred to me that he had never actually read James until he came to me the next day (stammering and practically speechless) and admitted he had never read it.

I came to find out that he had only a passing familiarity with John 6 (the Bread of Life discourse, absolutely defending Catholic Eucharistic doctrine) and he was completely unfamiliar with Matthew 16 (the establishment of the Papacy) and John 20:23 (the establishment of the Sacrament of Reconciliation).

Thus was established David’s First Rule of Apologetics: Just because someone is protestant, don’t assume s/he is really knowledgeable about the Bible.

Welcome home, UnityOfTrinity (and that’s a great handle - I’m amazed nobody has snagged it before).

I am sorry if you got the impression I questioned your love for the Lord. I do not question your love but there are boring homilies everywhere, and one has to sometimes sift through the boring delivery to find the nugget of gold the Lord wants you to hear. Often that comes with maturity.

Just an fyi, there are protestant churches that are VERY different than baptist. So much so that it always amazes me that some christians will “agree to disagree” but acknowledge their basic christianity. For example, Lutherans are much closer to Catholic belief than Baptist, yet Catholics are the whore of babylon and Luthrans are Christian.

As for faith working in love, make sure you understand that we are saved by grace alone. We can’t do anything to earn heaven, but our faith WILL be demonstrated through our works.

While you are still a minor in highschool, you need to respect your parents wishes. I do think it would be a good idea to talk with your parents, and ask questions. For example, talk to them about James and question them about how we can be saved by faith alone but the bible says we are not. You don’t need to even mention Catholicism.

When you are possibly still dependent financially like for college, you will have to do some serious decision making. Tough choices will need to be made. (Will my parents still pay for college if I become Catholic? Can I not become Catholic until I am done or is that hiding my light?)

Until then study a lot and pray a lot. Jimmy akin has some great explanations, as well as Scott Hahn. Who knows, maybe it is through you and your questions backed by solid biblical research will bring you AND your family to the fullness of truth in the Catholic church.

God bless,
Maria

Since you’ve discovered something by reading a portion of Holy Scriptures that you had not read before, I would simply suggest that you commence reading ALL of Holy Writ!

When you’ve finished with your KJ version, find and read the missing 7 books, if you do not have them in that version!

“Hide” nothing from your parents!..but learn what Catholics are mandated to do…BE CHARITABLE and respectful of your folks and family!

Catholicism is not ‘prize’ or ‘award’ you attain with age or schemes of awaiting until you are of age. You have no idea what Our Lord has in store for you or how much time to do it. Just be truthful and let the consequences fall where they may!

Pray with all your might and ‘imitate’ the Catholic “signature” to remind you of your intentions and upon Whom you place your trust; The sign of The Cross!
“In the name of The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen”

My mind, (Head) My Heart (Chest) My Strength (Shoulder to shoulder) O Lord, in your service as You Will.

:cool:

:eek:

I’m sorry to hear of this. To be fair, though, one less for the protestants is one more for me.

Since you’ve discovered something by reading a portion of Holy Scriptures that you had not read before, I would simply suggest that you commence reading ALL of Holy Writ!

so you can be aware of just what kind of mess you’re getting into

When you’ve finished with your KJ version, find and read the missing 7 books, if you do not have them in that version!

I wouldn’t recommend KJV. You should really read it in latin if you want the REAL thing. but barring learning another language, the SAB should be a good version to start with.

“Hide” nothing from your parents!..but learn what Catholics are mandated to do…BE CHARITABLE and respectful of your folks and family!

This, I agree with. If only this is what most believers actually practice.

Catholicism is not ‘prize’ or ‘award’ you attain with age or schemes of awaiting until you are of age. You have no idea what Our Lord has in store for you or how much time to do it. Just be truthful and let the consequences fall where they may!

More agreement. Live and love life to the fullest is always good advice.

Pray with all your might and ‘imitate’ the Catholic “signature” to remind you of your intentions and upon Whom you place your trust; The sign of The Cross!
“In the name of The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen”

imitation is all well and good, sincerity aside, but placing your trust in an execution device?

My mind, (Head) My Heart (Chest) My Strength (Shoulder to shoulder) O Lord, in your service as You Will.

I thought he was signing up to be Catholic, not a slave…

UnityofTrinity,

May the Lord bless you as you move forward. I will pray for you and your family.

Pray, pray, pray for your family’s hearts and minds to be opened also.

Don’t expect them to listen to you on any level. It is for God to reveal His path for them … Jesus even said as much: prophets are rejected in their own towns, by their own familys. (sorry - too late and tired to look up the verse - let me know if you don’t know what I’m talking about).

When you feel oppressed, read the OT story of Joseph.

Be STRONG. Don’t hide and don’t be afraid, just don’t expect them to understand right away. God be with you.

If you are not comfortable bringing the book “Catechism of the Catholic Church” into your home, you can access it online and read it there. Here’s the link:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Welcome home. I hope that this is a path that will lead you into a closer relationship with God. Once again, if you are not an adult, you do need to remain obedient to your parents in going to their church with them.

The are a number of books that you may want to read, one such as “Rome Sweet Home” by Scott Hahn, a former Protestant minister, you may find this work and many others by him to be informative.

One of the important things to do is to pray for your family to be moved by love.

-Prophecy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.