Becoming a Catholic

I am a Catholic, and my close friend is desiring to become Catholic as well. He is divorced (Married originally in the Prostestant Church), and Baptized (in the United Church), but has been told he would need an Anullment first before he is welcomed into the Catholic Church.
He is feeling rather discouraged…as this has been a long desire of his. As his close partner…I am trying to do my part as a Catholic to help find out if he is being directed properly.

[quote=Kathleen E.]I am a Catholic, and my close friend is desiring to become Catholic as well. He is divorced (Married originally in the Prostestant Church), and Baptized (in the United Church), but has been told he would need an Anullment first before he is welcomed into the Catholic Church.
He is feeling rather discouraged…as this has been a long desire of his. As his close partner…I am trying to do my part as a Catholic to help find out if he is being directed properly.
[/quote]

The best thing to do is speak to a local Catholic Priest about it, and if you can get your friend to go along, so much the better.

[quote=Kathleen E.]I am a Catholic, and my close friend is desiring to become Catholic as well. He is divorced (Married originally in the Prostestant Church), and Baptized (in the United Church), but has been told he would need an Anullment first before he is welcomed into the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

As stated above (divorced but not re-married) nothing indicated should impead his Journey to the Catholic Church.

The problem would come when after he became Catholic and wished to marry again. Then he would need an annullment to do so.

Even if he did not become a Catholic, if he wanted to marry a Catholic, he would need an annullment.

whatever you do… don’t inform him about these forums… that will make a Hindu of him for sure! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.