Becoming a Deacon

Hello,

One of my plans has been to study to become a deacon after early retirement. I have been a devout and active Catholic since my conversion and baptism in 1983. Unfortunately, my wife of 32 years, married through the church and confirmed two times since in the church over the years, has decided to divorce me. Can I still study and become deacon?

[quote="JMHetrick, post:1, topic:275026"]
Hello,

One of my plans has been to study to become a deacon after early retirement. I have been a devout and active Catholic since my conversion and baptism in 1983. Unfortunately, my wife of 32 years, married through the church and confirmed two times since in the church over the years, has decided to divorce me. Can I still study and become deacon?

[/quote]

The divorce, of course, if civil.
It has no value to the Church.
Better ask your Bishop.
I rarely accept divorces for I came from a broken family: there is no remedy to your marriage?

[quote="JMHetrick, post:1, topic:275026"]
Hello,

[/quote]

Have you sought an annulment?

We have been married 32 years and both active in the Church. I moved from full time employment to part time when she decided she wanted to be single. She made many vanity improvements including a boob job, face lift, tummy tuck and tatoos. Now she has decided that she no longer wants to be married qnd still remains active in our church with the support of our priest who has been in our family for the last 29 years. I am now left with reconstructing my life going forward and believe studying to be a Deacon is now beyond me. Is that true?

Call your diocesan vocations office. Every case will be handled differently.

The Bible is pretty specific about Deacons and divorce. I know the SBC has gone as far as not allowing a man who has married a divorced woman from becoming a deacon.

Don’t take it as a personal affront if your leaders tell you no. You can do a great deal of work for the church without being an ordained deacon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.