Becoming a Missionary of Charity

Hello. I am interested in the Missionaries of Charity Fathers. I feel called to be a religious priest. However, there are practically no details regarding their life on their website. Could someone tell me about the life of a Missionary of Charity Father? Thanks.

[quote="brycehecht, post:1, topic:329814"]
Hello. I am interested in the Missionaries of Charity Fathers. I feel called to be a religious priest. However, there are practically no details regarding their life on their website. Could someone tell me about the life of a Missionary of Charity Father? Thanks.

[/quote]

Are there any Missionary of Charity Sisters near you? If so, I'm sure the Sisters would be very happy to talk with you about the life of the MC priests.

God's blessings upon you!

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta ~ Pray for us.

I have visited their house of formation in Rome and I got a really good impression! It is most likely that I will go back and I still keep in touch with them...

Their life is about serving and being one of the poorest of the poor, wherever they may be. Practically this means many things because they have a vocation to take care of both the body and the soul. They preach and give us the Sacraments, they visit the sick and the homeless, they visit the poor families, they work among the gypsies etc. Father Peter was also one of the founders of the "I Thirst Movement" so they are also active with involving lay people in their work. A regular day could probably involve things like Mass and Adoration, a visit to the house for the AIDS, a visit to the poor families, the Common Prayers etc.

My impression is that their spirituality is very joyful and that they take their rule quite seriously, just like the sisters. They are not allowed to own anything for them selves, they do not keep cell phones (two of the Priests are allowed, I think), they are sent everywhere and they are only allowed to make home visits every fifth year (family can visit them though). Their vow of poverty is taken very seriously so they live very simple lives in poor areas. Most of the formation is done in Rome and they study at the Angelicum, but they are also sent to Latin America and similar places.

Three things that I would say characterize them is joy and a light heart, devotion to Mary and an extreme respect for Jesus in the Most holy Eucharist. They adore everyday and they keep repeating their consecration to Mary all the time...

It is quite late and my head is a little fuzzy, so I am sure I have forgotten many things, but feel free to ask follow up questions! You could also PM me if you like, I believe there should be some space left in my inbox...

Yours,
Nils

a Italia

Rome

Padri Missionari della Carità
Vicolo di Torre del Fiscale, #73
00178 Roma ITALIA

Tel: (00) (39) (06) 780-7817
Fax: (00) (52) (06) 782-5011

This is the the only one in Europe I could find. Good Luck, God Bless.:signofcross:

There are no Missionary of Charity Fathers living in the United States, but they are present in Mexico. I believe they are in Tijuana.

If you write them, I am sure they will invite you to their closest house. You could also ask whether one of their brothers will travel to your area some time soon. It could be, because they sometimes visit the sisters houses. I actually got in contact with them when they visited one sister house in my home town...

Bl. Teresa of Kolkata, pray for us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.