Becoming a priest with stage fright?

I have been thinking about becoming a priest or joining an order for the past 3 years but I have stage fright. So I’ve thought an order would be better because of my stage fright but I think being a priest is more like me. Will stage fright inable me from becoming a priest?Thanks for all your answers and thoughts!

Well you will have to get over it. It doesn't make it impossible, but it is a challenge that you will overcome. It is completely possible though. Moses didn't want to talk so much that he had his brother do it for him, and look at all that he did.

I would be more concerned if you didn’t suffer from stage fright. If you really want to stand up in front of a congregation and preach, then you probably shouldn’t.

Almost everybody suffers from stage fright. The only way to overcome it is to commit yourself to a “show” (whatever it may be), and then, when the time comes, force yourself onto the “stage”. Most of us get over it eventually, but there are a small number of people who don’t. if you are one of those, then perhaps you shouldn’t consider the priesthood.

A very good way to practice, and discover for yourself whether you can overcome stage fright, would be to volunteer to be a reader (“lector”), or for some other public ministry in the Church. Believe me, most readers are nervous before reading, even if they don’t show it.

I’m not a priest, nor do I play one on TV, but I think I can safely say, without fear of contradiction, that if you go that route, by the time you made it all the way to ordination, all thoughts of stage fright will have been left wa-a-ay behind.

DaveBj

God will give you all the grace you will need to overcome this. I will pray for you and your discernment.

Read a bio of St. Jean Vianney, the Cure of Ars. He had the same problem and became an incredible parish priest.

Some years ago we had a priest that was so terrified about giving a homily that he would quite literally “freeze up” and not be able to speak. He was eventually given a small job in the chancery where he didn’t have to do any public speaking. Not sure what happened to him after that. He has just sort of disappeared.

Take the bull by the horns. How to do it? I’ll tell you how I (mostly) kept my terrifying stage fright at bay. I humiliated myself so many times in front of complete strangers taking three semesters of voice classes. Not kidding, and have the transcript to prove it:D

It can be done, that is, working on that disabling stage fright. Speech classes are also a suggestion.

You will overcome your stage fright in time. I was reading about some celebrities who had stage fright… and then they went on tour. The first few performances were scary but after that they got used to being on stage and even enjoyed it.

You can get over it! A vocation is from God - stage fright is not!

I took exactly the route that the previous responders here suggested: I took a speech class in college and even won the First Prize for “Most Convincing Argument” at the end of the year!

After I joined the Church, I became a lector. I have lectored for 26 years now and love it!

Also, I have read of famous actors and singers who get stage fright to the point of throwing up even after many years of fame. So you are not alone!

Also - talk to a doctor. Sometimes stage fright can be “cured” with a drug that is usually used for high blood pressure, called a beta-blocker.

Good luck - and I will pray for your vocation! :thumbsup:

[quote="DaveBj, post:4, topic:225374"]
I'm not a priest, nor do I play one on TV, but I think I can safely say, without fear of contradiction, that if you go that route, by the time you made it all the way to ordination, all thoughts of stage fright will have been left wa-a-ay behind.

DaveBj

[/quote]

Dave,

Now that's funny:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Follow the path God calls you to. The gifts you need will come with time. God bless.

We have a priest who I suspect has difficulty with stage fright and seems shy in conversation, but when he raises his arms and speaks the words over the
Holy Eucharist, I fully expect to see a bolt of lightening and hear the Heavenly
Host overhead. God sometimes gives His greatest gifts to his most humble servents.

Dear Catholicboy,

Our priest has difficulty dealing with large crowds and public speaking but no problems saying Mass. I asked him about this once and he told me it was completely the grace of God. He said he knew God was calling him to be a priest since he was very young.
He is a very self sacrificing, holy man. I have read about the Pope , people saying that he has " A shyness that attracts" I always think about my
parish priest when I hear this. God will give the grace to do whatever He calls you to do.
He will always supply your needs for the task He calls you to do if you ask Him for His help.
This is true of any vocation or work He calls you to do.

God Bless,
Maria

Never let fear keep you from living the life God has called you to. I would say pray about it (as I’m sure you have done plenty of haha). But just remember that fear comes from the evil one- dont let it stop you from becoming a priest if you truly believe that you are called

I would like to quote my pastor in his sermon this morning "God does not call those equipped, he equips those he calls"

C.M.B.

Moses had a stutter, did that stop God?

JMJDTF+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria! Let’s see what the good God wills.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.