Becoming a priest

Hello,

When I was about ten years old, I knew I wanted to be a priest. But I committed mortal sins when I was about 12.  I confessed them of course, and I'm fifteen now, but I was wondering, will that affect my chances at becoming a priest?

Thanks,
Kyle Costigan

If past sin disqualified one from the priesthood, there would be no priests.

No.

I would think most priests have sinned.:wink:

I’m glad you care though.:thumbsup:

Couldn’t have said it better.

The qualified are not called because there are none.
The called are later qualified however.

Hello everyone,
I a 54 y/o lapsed Catholic. As a child I always dreamed of becoming a priest. As an adult I have always tried to do what’s right when dealing with others. Many people that know me say I’m a late bloomer and always have been. I am twice divorced with 3 estranged adult children.
For many years now I have been miserably depressed looking for a meaning to my life, as I’m sure many others before me have.
At age 32 I finally entered college obtaining an AA degree in Human Services and BA’s in Sociology and Psychology.
My question is: What is the criteria for becoming a priest and am I too old to even think about it?

There isn’t an age cap to entering the priesthood. Check out the Pope John XXIII Seminary website for more details. Don’t hesitate to get int ouch with via e mail.

Kyle that is the power of God’s forgiveness that He so greatly loves us that he forgives us. Sin doesn’t forbid priesthood. If you were do something drastic like attack the pope or Jesus in the Eucharist then that is a different story. Kyle everyone commits mortal sins, thats why we have the grace of confession. It might be mean, but I take solace when I see people in line for confession, sometimes i think that I am the only one in the world that sins but it is nice to know that I’m not alone. And neither are you. St Augustine, is so famously quouted as saying “Grant me contince (chastity) but not yet”

D Block Thank you so much for the information. I have checked it out and I believe it is going to be a great help to me in my search.
To bee frank, I am lost using this site. How would I get in touch with you by e-mail?:o

Unfortunately, yes it will. The Pope has recently issued a new rule stating that anyone entering the priesthood must have never committed a mortal sin in their life. :smiley:

Priests sin too. Sin doesn’t disqualify you from the priesthood. The important is: You repented. Even the Pope sins.

I would read about Fr Donald Calloway MIC,

He committed probably every bad sin you can think of and look at him now a very Pius priest.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.